Is It Possible To Have A Free Christmas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is It Possible To Have A Free Christmas?

This will be spinning off of an earlier thread that I started.
    Here is the challenge:
    Do you think that it is possible to have a 100% free Christmas (as far as gift giving goes)? ...and how would you go about making it possible?

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure, I would like to HOPE it would be possible. Gift certificates for Gifts of TIME would be appreciated.

Last year when my mom was so ill, I made lots of meals for their freezer while I was cooking for my oamc.

Hand made gifts using things you already own.

I can't wait to see what everyone else says.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes it is, however it takes a lot of imagination and creativity. When we first moved here we had a pioneer Christmas. We made every gift with what we already had here. We used wrapping paper from years before that I had saved. We didn't have turkey that year, we had a deer roast, potatoes (from our garden) and all the veggies were also from our garden. I did all our Christmas baking from scratch. We didn't even use lights for our Christmas dinner. We used oil lamps.

It was and continues to be one of our best Christmas days. The kids still talk about it. They too made all their gifts. Dd made a scarf for dh which he still wears even though it has holes in it and it isn't the shape it should have been. It was her first try at knitting.

We often talk about doing it again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds just absolutely wonderful! I do believe you have the wheels turning in my head for next year
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by homesteadmamma View Post
    Yes it is, however it takes a lot of imagination and creativity. When we first moved here we had a pioneer Christmas. We made every gift with what we already had here. We used wrapping paper from years before that I had saved. We didn't have turkey that year, we had a deer roast, potatoes (from our garden) and all the veggies were also from our garden. I did all our Christmas baking from scratch. We didn't even use lights for our Christmas dinner. We used oil lamps.

It was and continues to be one of our best Christmas days. The kids still talk about it. They too made all their gifts. Dd made a scarf for dh which he still wears even though it has holes in it and it isn't the shape it should have been. It was her first try at knitting.

We often talk about doing it again.
    We are debt free!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Maybe by buying things through out the year, on sale and using coupons. Getting craft supplies free through freecycle. I bet I could maybe do it. Something to ponder.
    Katy

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There would be a lot of HBA items from FAR items from Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid

You could use PaperbackSwap, Swap A DVD, etc.

You could also do a ton of rebates for stuff.

I think it could be possible, but I doubt we'd do it here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmmm...... I think I'm pretty frugal, but this is indeed a challenge!

To have totally free gifts, I would have to give the gift of service (via coupon?) or regift things or make things from what I have on hand?? Yet I purchased most of those items at some time or another.

I wouldn't be able to make several things, including some food items, as I would have to purchase materials and ingredients.

Argh....... this is hard!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Difficult in this day and age, but possible. . . we're doing a "mostly" free Christmas this year. .. craft items either gifted to me, obtained on freecycle, or through freebies at yard sales, etc. Food items from our garden/yard,etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it could be done and I love the idea behind it. I'm intrigued.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What comes to mind (and it seems I've done alot of these this year,)
    Decorations
    I collect pinecones and downed pine branches to make decorations. A tree can usually be found free if you'll wait until Christmas Eve. Most homes already have candles, just cluster them. I made and Advent calendar out of envelopes hung on twine with clothes pins one year. Hang up mittens on a line the same way for decoration. I like bowls of fruit and nuts on the tables. Eat and looks pretty. The kids also strung popcorn and cut up old grocery sacks to make paper chains.
    Food
    Not technically free but you'd have to eat anyway. Ask the family what they like. It doesn't have to be a traditional 'feast'. My kids have requested box mac&cheese ($.33/box) and cauliflower ($1.19/head). Homemade cookies are better than fancy desserts. Serve it with music, candles, fancy plates and it is a feast.
    Free Samples
    Any free samples, gifts I've received, repackaged prettily in bags/paper I had because someone gave them to me
    Regift
    Anything I might have been given through the year I'd put back for others. My 1yo dd is getting sibs old toys for Christmas. Why buy another?
    Handmade
    This would have to be from stuff I had on hand I guess. This year I made hats&mittens from fleece I had and a snuggie. I melted crayons to create new ones for 5yo.
    Drawings
    Use some talent you have. My dd made me a beautiful painting on a board for my birthday last year.
    Outings
    There are free things my family enjoys. Depends on family preference I guess. We've been sledding, skating and enjoyed church cantatas and a Walk to Bethlehem. No cost except coming home for cocoa and cookies.
    GC for time
    A promise to build a lego village, play cards, do nails, candlelight dinner at home-those are some I'm giving this year.
    Last edited by joyofsix; 12-23-2008 at 06:33 AM.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually did a mostly free Christmas many years ago. DH and I were poor "kids", not married yet, no kids and just starting out.

This was in the time before freecycle, and Craigslist, so I had to get really inventive. We did plenty of crafting and regifting. I'm quite crafty, and I paint. So some people received paintings, or painted items or coupons for painted items. (For my aunt, who is a school teacher, I offered for Christmas to paint her plain old nasty wooden rocking chair in her classroom. It ended up with scenes from Hey Diddle Diddle painted on it, and she absolutely loved it.) Lots of recycled items, etc!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you could also barter for items if possible. One of my co-workers and i barter all the time. She and i are both crafters so it works out well. In years past i have given her craft supplies that i didn't need and this year she gave me two bottles of homemade Kahula that i used for gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't know if it is totally possible but I think it is a great idea. Alot of you have many wonderful thoughts and ideas. I am definitely going to try and do at least 1/2 free next year.
    April No Spend Days - 8 /22
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 100 /365
    2014 April Gas Challenge - $35 / $80
    April Keep Fit - 270 min / 900 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Give God your problems and he will give you His peace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it would be possible, but it would require lots of planning ahead. Books are great presents for someone of any age. I would try to exchange some of mine for ones that I could gift. I would also do alot of baking to give as gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This idea is really sticking in my head. I'm thinking more and more about broaching it with the family after this holiday. My littlest kids might not understand but the rest would. Dh would be all for it, LOL. I might just give this a try. A year to plan would make this much simpler.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast