How do you open presents?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question How do you open presents?

SO many ways to oraganize and handle opening presents

How do you do it?

Growing up my mom had an order that you opened presents ( sort of like a go around the circle thing) You sat in present opening order and only moved from your spot if it was your turn to pick out a present at the tree. When it was announced it was your turn you picked one from under the tree and carefully opened it saving the wrapping and the decoration on the package. Then you thanked the giver ( a discussion on why the giver picked that present to give you might happen if needed) then you passed my mom your saved paper for her to set aside for next year then next persons was announced and the process started over. BUT half way through opening presents breakfast was announced and everyone would go to the table where my father would make omelets one at a time specific to the request of the one who was going to eat it. Then after everyone had finished their omelet we would finish opening the presents.

The Christmas we were at my SIL's the presents were all passed out to who they were given. Then my SIL announced we had 10 mins to open the presents and pick them up off the floor. Everything left on the floor after 10 mins was going to be thrown away. Everyone ripped into their packages at one time.
    Hubby says they did something similar when he was growing up but that he liked to see what everyone else received so he often waited until the frenzy settled down to open his presents and there was no time limit and his mom only threw away trash.

Now at our house Hubby and I have sort of fallen into a mix. We open presents one at a time but no particular order. When someone wants someone to open their present from them they pass it to them or if someone wants to open a present they jump up to pick one out but one person at a time, discussions about the presents and thank yous are exchanged sometimes with hugs. Paper is torn and not saved except the gift bags my mom now wraps in. Those are saved and passed to my mom to reuse next year.

As for Breakfast that is omelets or crepes now cooked by Hubby not per request but always delish and they are served after presents are opened. ( adults sometime have coffee and small breakfast snacks are available during opening presents if needed for adults and children alike).
    Last edited by imagine; 12-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Growing up, presents were opened up one at a time with the youngest passing out the presents.

For the past 32 years of holidays with the inlaws - everyone opens presents willynilly. I am happy to sit where I can see everything and watch as the presents are being opened - then I'll open my presents - thus enjoying the whole process.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have always had a strict one-at-a-time rule in our house, but the order can be random. Someone, usually a kid old enough to read the tags, plays "Santa" and passes out the gifts. Everyone watches the present being opened before the next recipient opens her/his package.

editing to add a variation: My DH's family has someone pass out all of the presents from under the tree while everyone adds to their piles, but doesn't open yet. Then, when all presents are handed out, recipients take turns (in order around the room) opening one gift at a time. Different from my experience, but nice, too.

I have been places where it's a paper ripping frenzy everyone-all-at-once sort of thing, and I really don't like that. To me, it makes the focus too much on what is received, instead of on what is given, because no one has a chance to see and enjoy others open packages. No thanks!\

Kara
    Last edited by moasmom; 12-20-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: to add more info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a kid we all took turns going youngest to oldest. I have a small family.

Dh's family has a crazy free for all. Everyone at once. I will have 21 people openng presents at once in my living room!

Dh a, the kids and I open all at once.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our boys open 1 gift at a time we hand them all there gifts and they take turns opening them. When we were growing up we opened 1 at a time. At my grandmothers we handed out the gifts and everyone opened 1 at a time. At my moms (grandmother passed 10 years ago) we hand out all the gifts we let kids open 1st then we let our parents open and then dh and I and my brother and his wife open. TC

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do them one at a time so everyone can ooh and ahh at them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

growing up -
    at home with just me and my parents we took turns opening gifts. we liked to distribute the gifts so everyone had theirs and we'd take turns. my mom worked in a school so she always got lots of gifts from staff and students so she did most of the opening. invariably my parents would tell me to save one gift till last and that was my 'big' gift.

my mom also did a scavenger type hunt for me christmas morning too. funny thing is we didn't start until i was older. i wanted christmas to last longer so she devised this hunt.

with my extended family it was chaos. pure chaos. gifts were distributed and everyone opens at the same time. i hate that. i love watching what everyone got and seeing how happy everybody is. it's still like that with them, but there's less actual gifts (because we are all older) and more just cards.

now-
    so far with me and dh and our son it's all about him. we still take turns, but the majority of gifts are for him. i like to get him to play santa and check under the tree and give the gifts to the right person.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

each of the kids has a section under the tree where they know to go to that AM santas gifts are not wrapped - other guifts are in big felt santa like bag one for each child .

the kids just open as they go along . they thank whomever it came from ( parent sibling etc ) when they are done dh and i open ore gifts .

we do a family pollyanna with dhs family so when you get to the party you seek out your swap person and give them their gift
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto5RN View Post
    each of the kids has a section under the tree where they know to go to that AM santas gifts are not wrapped - other guifts are in big felt santa like bag one for each child .

the kids just open as they go along . they thank whomever it came from ( parent sibling etc ) when they are done dh and i open ore gifts .

we do a family pollyanna with dhs family so when you get to the party you seek out your swap person and give them their gift
    Oh Santa Sacks! Hubby's grandmother use to make each child ( adult child too) a Santa Sack filled with presents from her and grandpa. I miss her.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We open them one at a time and take pics.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Imagine, we had something like yours growing up, the difference was everyone had to be dressed and had to have eaten breakfast (the only time of year mom actually cooked breakfast) before present opening could begin. Mom didn't save paper, but boxes and bows.

DH's family had a casual dinner of sandwiches and cookies and opened presents Christmas Eve as fast as they could be handed out.

I still prefer to open them in the morning after breakfast. It kills DH to wait, so we open one each in the evening, and the rest in the morning over tea and cinnamon rolls. We take turns.

I don't like the big paper tearing frenzy, either. It just seems too "grabby", with no thoughts of sharing the moment or enjoying seeing the others as they receive what you gave them.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Growing up my dad played Santa. He would give each person a gift to open. We would open them, show them to the others and thank the giver. Then the process would repeat.
    In my DH's family, they open one gift at a time. He said that growing up it took all day to open gifts.
    In our home, we tend to open gifts like we did in my family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

someone gets to wear the Santa hat and pass out the presents and the unwrapping begins paper all over the floor the dogs. and we take lots of pics....

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used to do just our family first thing in the morning. The boys would open their gifts squealing with glee. Lots of hugs and how did you know I wanted this? A quick paper clean up then quickly shower because guests would begin to arrive for an early breakfast buffet. As each guest arrived we'd pass out their gifts for them to open. It was always orderly, with lots of thank you's and picture taking. Then we all would eat and as the day progressed, more and more company would arrive, open their gifts and eat from a continuing buffet that changed from breakfast, to brunch to finally a supper menu. It was refilled all day long. It was quite nice and very festive. Many people used to pass through our door on Christmas day.

Now it's much more subdued. Christmas morning will pass without fanfare. No gift opening. The Christmas guest list has been greatly reduced. Guests will begin to arrive after noon, there will be a table set up with sandwiches, chips, pickles etc. The men will sit and talk, the women will work in the kitchen. Supper will be a sit down at 4pm. After supper there will be gift opening. The gifts will be passed out as before and everyone will open them, unhurried, thanking the giver. Following gift opening a dessert buffet table with coffee and hot tea will be set up. We are taking the focus off of gifts this year and focusing on fellowship with family and friends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    We are taking the focus off of gifts this year and focusing on fellowship with family and friends.
    I think this is wonderful. Good for you!

Kara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast