Regifting: Smart? Cheap? Tacky??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Regifting: Smart? Cheap? Tacky??

This would probably be a better topic closer to the holidays, but I'm curious about what people think about regifting. I dont have a problem with receiving a "regift" but I generally don't do it. I would rather give something very modest or something I got on sale than do a regift.

My mom was very frugal and a regifter. She would also give things to people that were "imperfect" ... not totally messed up or anything, but I remember one of my older sisters telling me that she once received a gift from my mom as a kid that was "broken" (she didnt say how, but knowing my mom it was probably something minor that she didnt see or something) and my sister says she was just *devastated* (add violin and dramatic music) that she got a "broken" gift.

My mama did the absolute best that she could and she sacrificed so much for us kids so I never had a problem with her regifting and I try to look at others regifts the same way.

So.... I'm just curious what others opinions are on regifting. Or handmade gifts (another thing that people tend to call "cheap" that I have no problem with)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't so much as "regift" as "pass on". I get things from my family that are so not me. If I get something that I don't need or want, I see if any of the people that I know need or want it. If not, it gets donated.

As for recieving a "regift", I am fine with that. In a way, I like it even better when the person tells me that they are regifting. Someone thought enough of them to give them the item and the person thinks enough of me to pass it on to me knowing that I would use it.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i occasionally regift but there are a few rules to it for mr at least ,

has to be new and unused or look new and be included with new things in a basket ( and never clothing etc - i mean like a candle i got i was allergic to )

never in the same groups :
    IE my sil gives me a hand cream i cant use due to allergies- i may add it to a friends gift - a basket for a teacher - or a donation for a famiky we are adopting or use it in an online swap but never regift it within family .

same with online swaps etc even if a frugal swap where it would be better understood i dont want to have it accidentally get back to the original gifter and hurt their feelings .

and only if its something they would use like .
    i dont buy or budget gifts based on how they cost IE see some great deal and but it with no idea who i will give it too - thats not thinking about the person recieving the gift and who they are and what they like and IMO thats what gift giving is about whether regifted- homemade or store bought - i look for something that is special towards that person .

if i get someting i cant use i know someone else will use and truly enjoy i will regift sometimes as a holiday or bday gift sometimes just for no reason .

when i have no idea what to get someone i dont know well , i often go for items they can regift- candle etc so if they cant use the item they can at least save a few $ and use it as a gift ,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i would also say that 99% of anything i regift as a bday or holiday gift is added to a item i purchased or made , not a lone gift

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know there are people out there who measure their friendships by how much money gets spent on gifts, but fortunately they are not among my friends or acquaintances. I'm regifting for a birthday next week, she'll never know I got it free (I think it's just as tacky to say it is a regift as it is to tell them how much you paid if you bought it). I also give a lot of hand made gifts, since I sew, and people who receive them know that a lot of time and love went into them.

As for 'broken' things, well that happens when you buy brand new, too. I gave a set of cute 'chili' bowls to some pepperhead friends, and somehow between our house and theirs, one broke. And they were special holiday gift items, sold out at the place I bought them from, no replacements to be found.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As long as the item is in mint condition and you know the receiver will truly enjoy it then yes nothing wrong with regifting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the item is something you think the person would like and it's in new condition. I wouldn't give something that didn't look new. I also wouldn't mention it's regifted.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge Mar
    $10.43

Coupons for Year / $110.43

Mar/ Grocery
    $58.58 /Goal $250.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $58.58

Eat Out No More April
    Goal 20
    Accomp/1

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I often regift but I always make sure it is still new and new looking. I recently regifted some candles and a thingy to put them on as a door prize at a women's retreat. These was not a cheap item. I just don't do candles. They were appreciated and looked nice. I see nothing wrong with it. (I recieved them at a church function).
    Count your blessings--name them one by one."

My Blessings:
    DH - 43 years
    3 sons
    1 daughter
    3 daughters-in-law
    11 grandchildren

Furbabies: 5 dogs, 1 cat

God Has Really Blessed me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a problem with it, but would do it with caution...I remember getting a wedding gift that had a shred of Christmas paper and tape on it- thought that was tacky. Also, make sure you don't give it back to the original giver. Otherwise- go for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh- and to add- we regifted with our kids when they were very young. At age 1-3 for Christmas we would pull out toys that had been in storage from prior kids and rewrap. We would have purchased the same thing- they didn't know and didn't care. They got some new things too, but we did regift toys. We've done it with neices and nephews too- with permission from all adults included and only for young children.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My extended family just does white elephant for Christmas, with the rule that it must be either found in your house or less than like $30. The gifts are pretty much useless, but the results are pretty comedic. Last year my cousin who's a history teacher got me a portrait of Nixon, and the year before that my other cousin bought me soda and mentos.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's okay if like some posters said it's in new condition and you don't tell the person they're being re-gifted (unless it's just a spontaneous gift, then you could tell them, but not for a birthday or Christmas or wedding shower or other occasion, then I wouldn't tell them)
    The only problem is one time I re-gifted someone with a box of chocolate candy that I didn't want sitting around tempting me. It was some specialty candy and not a brand I'd heard of. I put it in a basket of things I gave her. She called and raved about how good this candy was, the whole time hinting for me to tell her where I got it. Well, I had no clue where it came from. It was awkward because she kept bringing it up and saying her daughter loved it and would like more and I kept saying things like I'm so glad you liked it. haha It was embarrassing.
    I can't remember, I think she finally asked me where it came from. I think I fibbed and said something like, I can't remember exactly where I got it I've been shopping so much lately, maybe it was World Market or the T.J. Maxx food section. That was probably a dead give-away that it was a re-gift to say I didn't remember. I really hope there wasn't something wrong with it and that's why she wanted to know where it was from. I hope it wasn't a re-gifted, re-gifted re-gift and really stale or something!

Also, I went to a shower one time where the girl the shower was for asked a couple of people where they bought her gift. It seemed obvious to me that she wanted to return the gifts because they weren't on her registry. I doubt she liked them so much she wanted to go back and buy ten more and that's the reason she asked. I thought that was really rude, but people do things like that. So be sure the person you re-gift won't put you in an embarrassing situation.

I would say, it depends on who you re-gift. If it's someone who you would feel embarrassed if they suspected, then don't do it. Otherwise, it's okay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think regifting is fine as long as the item is new and suits the recipient. I think it's wrong to regift without regard to the recipient just to save money. I'd rather receive no gift than a gift for obligation's sake. It bothers me to see things go to waste.

I feel the same about handmade gifts. DBF's 85 year old Dad made me a pair of earrings out of 800 year old Moor Oak, and they're one of my favorite things ever! However, a cross stitch of Bible verses (no offense to anyone) is not my style and would not be an appropriate gift for me.

It has to do with the gift and the recipient more than whether it's handmade or regifted.

Registered User AnneBoleynTudor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's tacky. I find it sad that people actually tell a person that the gift they just gave you is a regift. What planet are they from? I think people should stop watching the reality shows that make it okay to be nasty to people and find some manners. I donate things I cannot use. I always put some thought into my gift giving. I've gotten regifts and they seem to always be something that I absolutely have no interest in and the person knows it. One time I got a Wine Trivia game,... I am not a wine drinker an they knew it. I think regifting makes makes the reciever seem like an afterthought. I do make handmade things that people love. I also make these items according to the tastes and interests of the person the gift is for. As a matter of fact these gifts are the most liked and appreciated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Like i said in another post as long as it comes from your heart....there is nothing wrong with regifting....
    2012 Goals

Credit card: $917.00/ 937.00

Room Downstair semi completion: $900

Countertop: $400

Deck $750

Bedroom revamp: $400

2 replacement windows $400-$500

intex swimming pool for the kids

get dh to build daughter a chicken coop

Health Challenge 0/20 lbs

no spend days 0/209

grocery reduction 27.76/$300