6 Months to Christmas! Are you on track? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ive bought a few things, mostly stocking stuffers for my dd. Some things for my niece, and BFF daughters. From my Xmas budget ( first time having one) I've used 30 dollars. Have plans to make a lot of things as last year was crazy spending and I'm not doing that ever again. Not getting into making stuff until sept, I'm grumpy and pregnant right now, far from holiday joy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've done exceptionally well at yard sales this summer - have gotten like new toys, books and clothes for the grand daughters, clothes with tags for dd, dil, tools still in boxes for sons. . . I've spent less than $100 so far and if I had to do Christmas tomorrow, we'd be ok.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Judembc - thats what im thinking of doing too this year.

Ive get organized and make myself a speadsheet and treat it like a budget, ive done this every year and its a good way of keeping on track of everything.

I make tables for everyone that i need to buy for and write in what i buy and how much it costs, ive got a running total and an average price per gift which i try and keep at 5.00 or below and ive colour coded all the costs, like money made on ebay, free items or things i bought last xmas (classed as a no spend) to see whats actually gone out of my pocket.

I have things for sale on ebay at the mo, so any money i get from selling will be used to get gifts online.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do so much of mine the week following CHristmas for the next year so we are on track. I do need to check out the target toy sale someone mentioned on here this week. And of course I always look forward to the July Hallmark Ornament Premiere

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I too have been picking up new things here and there at garage sales or thrift stores. Then I also watch for super sales at the store and when I stumble upon something I grab it. I don't just shop for X-mas though. I have at least 2-3 years of b-day presents bought for the nieces & nephews too already. Other than the kids & mom, we don't exchange presents among the adults. Dh and I don't do presents, we do trips. And Ds always wants money (if I don't give him a trip too)...

As for the actual holiday and what we do. It all depends on my mood for the year. I have an entire boatload of decor, and some years I go all out and decorate every square inch of the house (I have 4 trees that go up) and there is not a square foot that is left unturned. It's a very time consuming affair as the house 1st gets stripped down to the bare walls. And I mean, bare. Then the decor goes up. There is nothing I don't decorate. (I even hang white doves from the ceiling from fishing line, and they have strands of silver beads hanging from their beaks that they are dropping onto the trees to decorate). I decorate the entire house...

It takes days to drag all this down from the attic, a week to put up, a week to take down, and then more days to drag it all back up. When I have the energy and do all this, well that means people better come and see it all and enjoy. So that means parties, and lots of them. Which means more work.... ~ whew

So you can see why some years I blow the whole thing off and just leave town (one year it was Vegas, another Cancun, and on and on...)

Time will tell what I will do this year. I usually don't make my decision until about the beginning of Nov. Then it has to start - coz gosh darnit, if I am doing all this, it's staying up for 6 weeks...!

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought my nephew a really nice Nintendo shirt on sale at Big Lots for $5. That was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but I caved in and gave it to him yesterday, lol.

Aside from my son, and possibly my boyfriend, everyone else is getting handmade gifts this year. I have taken up the art of candle embellishment, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Gift giving dilemma (long)

A little off-subject, but I have a Christmas problem and need some suggestions.
    We draw names among my siblings (there are 4 of us), our spouses and all our adult children. The "rule" is that we all buy gifts for the younger children.
    The problem is my brother's adult kids. They live out of state, we only see them once every 2 or 3 years. They're hard to buy for since we aren't involved in their lives - they never buy gifts for the younger ones - they usually resort to gift cards for the recipient whose name they draw - and we suspect my brother actually buys those himself - and we never ever get a "thank you" from them.
    I really just want to drop them from the drawing. I think my brother might be offended if they are dropped, but my daughter is still included.
    Here what I'm considering.
    Me and each of my siblings buy gifts for only our spouses and children. The only problem that presents is one of my brothers who is unmarried and has no kids. But I'm thinking that since he stays at my house during the holidays, my daughter and I can "adopt" him as one of ours.
    We'll each give him a gift and he can give one to each of us.

What would you do here? Does my solution sound fair?
    You would think that with mostly adults, nobody would be offended, but I guarantee someone will get all bent out of shape over this.
    Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Money will be tight for us this year, with buying a fixer upper house that seems to have a new issue every step of the way.

Thank goodness I had foresight before we knew the house would be ours! I bought my youngest Christmas present already (the American Girl doll of the year starter set, the dog, and an extra outfit), and I have a really pretty piece of jewlery off of ebay for our oldest. So I have 1 kid down and the other is on the way. I have the gifts bought for my friends 3 of the 5 grandkids done (I think I will tell her next year I can no longer afford to buy Birthday and Christmas presents for them- it's getting to be too much). I also have a decent start on the girls Christmas stockings.

Next week I am hoping that I can use my 40% off Michaels coupon to go towards my mom's Christmas present.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

jean that seems more than fair...
    if they are adults it is the parents place to buy for them.

gift giving can get long and complicated my list is long but I only give gifts to those who are important to me..aquaintences get a card and Merry Christmas or Happy Haunkah which ever is apporpiate...

I give my Athiest friend a gift wrapped in brown paper with a pretty ribbon because I love her she bakes me a cake...

hope I helped NO GUILT JEAN hugs to u and bless u

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah the obligatory giving is what really saps the fun out of the holidays for me. I think it sounds fair too Jean. I dont think I would want to continue to give to someone that never even says "thanks".

I too give to just those closest to me. I also make it a point to give to strangers when I can in the spirit of the season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think your idea is a good one jean. You could say you need to simplify Christmas, or you're cutting back financially. I'm doing both and refuse to feel bad about it. Those that expect gifts don't know the true meaning of Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we do a family name draw that includes kids amd adults - uese to do a eperate one for kids and adult until generation crosed and some of the kids were married with their own kids while thir cousins were under 10 till.

so you basically buy one thing per person in your family and each person gets one thing - people with no kids arent expected to buy my 5 stuff etc

as far as bdays once over 18 its just a card but we usually to in a lottery ticket and if its someone in first few years of college i may give them a 10 instead .

in reality if you say no more wapping fr kids over a certain ae and your nrother gets upset and doesnt want to buy your daughter anything it seems you still come out ahead of his one gift compared to your several.

NOW though is the time to bring this up.
    many people shop and plan ahead o it drives me nut when people wait till last minute and then are angry family is upset with them - may well be that family has shopped year round and already has gifts purchased .

that said i am where i want to be with my christmas shopping - gift cards are ordered a i get enough points in my point program - i am saving the $ i got from selling something i won for chrsitmas shopping. used a little at the coach outlet near busch gardens while on vacation last week for older dd - a wristlet and a scarf for 50-80% off .
    picking up things i see that i know my family can use off clearance racks using coupons etc - saving freebies for stocking stuffers etc

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We only buy for my husbands nieces children...My grandkids do not attend this side of the family's Christmas...(we came into the family when my children were grown, so they are not close to these nieces and family). I have been watching sales and I got all their gifts.....my grandkids get money.....I just purchased (not really cuz I used ECB's and paid no cash) four more flannel throws for the nursing home (my total is now 45). I have pretty much everything purchased for a family I help on the rez in SD...all on sale and purchased with ECB's, RR, or gc....Also purchased 70 different Zhu Zhu pets and accessories for $1 each and have those to give to needy children. So, guess I am done except for nursing home....they have 120 residents and I have about 100 gifts so have 5 months to pick up another 20...which shouldn't be too hard...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are in overdrive to pay off the last bit of our 1st mortgage because DH's job (and health) are a bit tenuous. We have had to replace a lots of large things and are paying for college. SO christmas may be a whole lot smaller.
    DD is hoping to get an apt. w/ Bf so they may be gifted housewares and things I have put back in reserve for our household. DH and I may have a mortgage gone party instead.
    I did get a bunch of lotions thru bath and body shop for $2.20 for 8 oz. so we'll see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all your comments.
    I plan to let everybody in the family know my thoughts soon.
    Since we all give gifts to our immediate families anyway, this won't really affect anyone's early shopping.
    They just won't have to buy an additional gift for the name they draw.
    Jean

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast