Frugal Village Forums banner

How much will you spend for Christmas

• Under $200.00

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Under $500.00

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Under $1000.00

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • What you mean were suppose to be ******?

Votes: 2 13.3%

How much will you spend this Christmas?

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Guest1 
#1 ·
The average amount Canadians will be spending is $1500.00. :eek: That includes gifts, food and decorations. I can't believe that amount - incredible!!

How much will you spend this Christmas?

#3 ·
Under $500, but I have been getting things all year long. I did buy some rather expensive jewelry for my SIL who has recovered from cancer and for her husband. I tend to go a bit overboard where my niece is concerned and it adds up before I know it.

#8 ·
I voted under 500$

Besides the gifts/food/decorations though, that amount would include christmas cards/postage for the cards and mailing gifts/family pics, holiday entertainment (eating out/renting video's/etc.) and other incidentals...

#10 ·
We used to spend under 200 $ until a few years ago...but the boys now want more expensive things. Last year we bought a snowboard for Francois...although we bought the best price we found, we had to buy his helmet, gloves, etc, ski pass...this year Mathieu and Daniel would like to start snowboarding, so that will be their Christmas gift (and birthday gift for this year)...

But we have told them, this won't be a regular thing, to get expensive gifts...we usually can't afford all that. We also get together with family members to buy these bigger gifts...

It was so easy and cheaper when they were small....

#11 ·
Definitely voted for spending under $200. 1998 was the last year I used any credit cards. Last year my sister came up with a good idea for gift-giving among the adults in the family:

** An item you make (food / craft / clothing)
** An item you have but do not use
** An item bought at a second-hand / thrift store
** A gift of time to work on special projects (for example, if plumbing is your hobby and your MIL needs some work done, well, there you are!)

However, for my nieces & nephews, I usually buy something to read and something to wear.

My SIL and Mother have birthdays at Christmas (SIL is 12/29 and Mother is 12/24), so I usually buy a small token.

There was a very low level of stress for me over the holidays last year, and I did not run around doing the shopping like a maniac.

Julie
:reindeer:
:tree:

#12 ·
I voted "Under $500.00"
that is onlt cuz I will spend more than $200.00 by the time I mail gifts and cards..... We did pretty good this year .......

#13 ·
I usually spend about $200 for each of my boys, and usually not more than $20 per person for other gifts that I have to buy for family members. I have been trying to cut down, but ds1 always wants clothes and the stuff I get for him is usually from Abercrombie and Fitch (this is the only time that I get this stuff new and not from thrift stores.) So until I buy 3 or 4 things, I have his money spent. Not too mention, his birthday is the 23rd so I have to get a few extra for his birthday.

#14 ·
wow..I usually spend about 2,000. I have been know to spend more though. I told the kids not to expect it this year though. With the baby coming in the spring I have alot i need to get after christmas. I also have alot of people to buy for so hopefully I can get it all done for 1500.00...

#15 ·
We usually spend at least 250.00 on each of the boys easily. BUT this year I told them not to expect as much as they usually get. I don't plan on running out and buying the latest fad of the year. I don't feel bad about it either. I plan on sticking to a budget and that is all I plan on spending. I voted under $500. That includes postage, gift wrap, and all gifts for my family and the extended family on my side and DH's.

#16 ·
I voted under $500, but I think it is probably quite a bit more now that I think about it. I really like the idea of simplifying things, but my mom is obsessed with spending a certain amount and it all has to be equal between each person. She'll say that she's going to spend $75 on each person and wants ideas for each and every penny to make it the same for all. Then, you end up having to think of many little things just to use up the money. It makes me crazy!:( I suggested gift certificates to a book store for the kids, but she said, "Well, maybe for part of the gifts. You better ask the kids to make a list of what they want." That is something I just don't want to do. Sigh.

#18 ·
I've never really kept up with how much I spend...I mean,I do just go out and spend thousands and thousands but I don't write every purchase down either..make sense?
I do know this year is the most we have ever spent since Katie and jackson are getting those little motorized jeeps. Those were about $230 each.... Most of everything I got though was bought last year after christmas on clearance.
We don't see my family,so we don't spend any on them and we draw names with Steve's family(his mom side) but our limit is $10 each and we buy his granny something.Oh and he gets hisdad and stepmom something..usually around $20 each on them...
Next year my kids aren't getting many toys..I couldn't tell you now what they got last year.They have plenty of toys already...

#19 ·
I voted under $1000. I hope to end up at around $700. I could do much cheaper if my husband's family were not so big on Christmas. My family buys only for the kids, but my husband's is everyone. I have a 10 year old girl and 15 year old boy and am planning under $225 each for them and I am like many others my limit for anyone else is no more than $20--but I try to come out cheaper than that.

#20 ·
We spend less than $500 - but not by choice.....I love Christmas & if I had Donald Trump's AMEX card, I'd go all out! :toothy:

GW & I don't buy for each other at all.....we try to keep the "extended family" (7 of them) limit to a $10 minimum on his side & my side is just my mom & brother & we probably won't buy anything for them, but rather send some baked goods.....We try to stay around $75 per kid, but Will is getting a "heavy bag" (one of those big boxing punching bags) and some gloves - how fitting...I actually put that stupid thing on layaway the day he got smashed up! The girlies birthdays are so close to Christmas that it really cuts into the budget - dang girls - imagine the nerve of them to be born so close to Christmas and ruin the expense account for me - heathens!! I try to make their birthdays a little more special - gift wise.....

If we actually take pictures of the family to send in cards, it may be a little more, but certainly not much!

:reindeer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.