Frugal Village Forums banner

Are we the only family that doesn't have...

Tags
family
2K views 22 replies 23 participants last post by  Dancing Lotus 
#1 ·
to go anywhere, or isn't having anyone over at Christmas? It is just dh , dd, FIl (for dinner), and myself. We usually have a big Christmas Eve dinner I make for our friends, but you all know how that turned out! Does anyone else just stay home?

#2 ·
I'll be here, I might go to church with my mom and brother, but other than that just hubby and I Christmas day.

I've given up the war, let MIL think she's won, so I sent hubby to her house alone for Thanksgiving (went out with my mom and brother). And I'm sending him up for Christmas eve with his family. He's not real happy about it but honestly they do NOT like me and I've been miserable the last 16 Christmas eves, ain't worth another one like that! I'm fine with it, will do chores and read, relax and go to bed early.

I figure I've got hubby 363 days a year, let her have the two holidays and THINK she won :)

kj

#5 ·
We were going to make a 16 hour trip to KY but we found out my son needs adenoid and tonsil removal and tubes in his ears. He will be getting this surgery on Monday and recovery time is 2 weeks. We will be staying here now. If he feels ok, I'd like to make a 30 minute trip to the town where I have a bunch of relatives getting together for Christmas Eve. On Christmas day I'll probably just have a nice brunch for me, dh and the kids.

#6 ·
We stay home on Christmas eve and would LOVE to be able to stay home on Christmas but we have to go to my parents. I just wonder what lovely sickness my sister & her kids will share this time :rolleyes:

We (dh, me & the kids) were just reminiscing about how nice it was when we lived in AL and were too far from family to have to visit anyone. We could just stay home, veg out, play with our new Christmas stuff, make our own traditions and not have to worry about pleasing everyone by going to each family member's house for the exact same amount of time.

Right now we are being guilt tripped by the inlaws because dh has to work for the second Christmas eve in a row. As if he likes to have to work on Christmas eve!!

#7 ·
Well--I have three Christmases, not including my own. We have to go to Zac's mom and step-dad, Zac's dad and step-mom, and my parents/grandparents. I refuse to allow anyone over Christmas morning before noon. That's just Wesley, Zac, and I's time. This year it will just be me and Wesley.

#8 ·
Just me and hubby here by ourselves this Christmas. It will be a first. I'm kinda excited, to tell you the truth. Like Yankeemom said, we will do our own things and not worry about pleasing everyone or being at a certain place at their time and all the stress involved.

Hubbies working Christmas eve, we'll have a quiet evening. He'll be off Christmas day only, and everyone's too far to go visit. :) Will make a special dinner and maybe go find some new traditions to start. We'll miss the kiddo something fierce, I'm sure, so many phone calls will be made that day. But otherwise, we're playing it by ear. Looking forward to it. :)

#11 ·
Just us, relaxing & enjoying. :)

#12 ·
I am working Christmas eve night and the will come home and grab a quick nap (hopefully :) ) and then go to my sister's for Christmas lunch. Christmas night will be just DH and I.

#13 ·
just us Campbell's on Christmas eve and Christmas day. We will have get togethers with family the weekend BEFORE and the weekend AFTER Christmas. I STOPPED stressing about visiting everyone ON CHRISTMAS DAY a few years ago, and I LOVE it. If someone wants to see me on Christmas eve or Day, they must come to my house!

#14 ·
We just don't have much family nearby, so it is always just the three of us on holidays, and my mom and step-dad come over to eat, stay a couple of hours, then leave. We will have them over for a meal on Christmas Eve. We never have company or go anywhere on Christmas day. I would like company, there is just no one to invite.

#15 ·
Its just gonna be dh and I for the holidays. For years I cooked and then cleaned up after company. No more. The nephew may swing by and then he may not. Not gonna put myself out and then have to deal with the mess. Will take x-h his gift probably on Christmas Eve and have the whole day to kick back on Christmas Day.

I'm just getting too darned old to stand in the kitchen while everyone else lays all over the house and then leaves.
Nope just the two of us.

Son, dil and gd live in Pa. and with the gas prices I just as soon leave them there and us here and use the mail to deliver Christmas.

#16 ·
We have our family over on Christmas Eve for turkey dinner. Then for Christmas day, they are at their respective homes. We just go to church in the morning, have a nice lunch and watch DVDs in the afternoon - very relaxing:reindeer:

#17 ·
A nice gathering at Mom's on Christmas Eve, it use to be a big party but it's gotten smaller over the years as the family ages, and some have passed away.

But I look forward to coming home and chilling out by the fire with the Christmas lights on. On Christmas Day I'm looking for a reason NOT to go anywhere. We are invited a couple of places.... I really want to stay home and relax.

#18 ·
The fiance' and I will just stay home Christmas eve watching the old Rankin Bass shows (Rudolph, Frosty, etc). DD will be home from her Dad's at noon... We will open the presents and then get ready for the Christmas feast my daughter picked out... which I am thrilled with actually...

CHEESEBURGERS!

No fuss, no muss, no mess.... she's 7 and told me she'd rather have cheeseburgers because 'turkeys cost too much and they just make Daddy (my fiance) sleepy'.

#19 ·
I'll trade with ya, Baxjul. I will be having about 30 over for Christmas eve (buffet style) and then clean up, cook again, and have 20 over on Christmas day (also buffet). Most people bring some cookies or a dip, but I make the main dishes. :dazed:

MYBE someday everybody will break up into their own smaller immediate families, but for now, this is tradition. Sigh.

I would LOVE to have just a simple holiday meal with my dh and two adult sons. Just once.

#21 ·
nope we aint going anywheres and nobody coming here. Last year we were invited to family/ friends house xmas day, we went. This year were just staying home.

#22 ·
Well, I guess one isn't exactly a "family", but over the years I have firmly turned down enough you-can't-spend-the-holiday-alone-come-have-lunch-with-us invitations that my friends have FINALLY gotten the idea that I mean it when I say I perfer to have a quiet day my myself. Happily they don't ask anymore, or preface it with, "I know you'll say 'no', but..." Right. I say no. I love those quiet holidays just chilling, doing what I like, which generally amounts to Not Much of Anything. And cheeseburgers sounds like a great idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.