Need some computer direction
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need some computer direction

I am in need of getting a new computer. I usually use mine about 5-6 years and mine is waiting to be passed on to the smallest child and the mommy needs an upgrade. I just want to work with it like a regular computer, pics a bit of music, writing a few letters, and the internet...and a few games.. I have broadband internet with att. I have a toaster looking thingy that my computer plugs into and my daughters has a tiny boxy thing that plugs into hers and makes it so she can get the internet w/out a telephone line (wireless?) anyway.. I want to move my old one into my sons room.. If you get finished with all the other questions.. what would I need to move his ? a tiny boxy thing too?
    I have always dealt with Dell.
    So I went in the website....
    Need help with these choices
    > Modem - yes or no? choice I think is 56KPCI date modem, incase i lose broadband and need a land line right?
    >wireless question?
    choices ...none / 1505 wlan mini external antenta $70.00 / INternal PCL 820 ll wireless network card 30$ If I pick either of these it tells me I need to change the sound, media card????
    > networking ? is that needed
    > can I just load back on my money 2005 program without buying another money program? I only use it for my personal info. and bank statement

If anyone can help me.. the total came to about 800 without shipping or taxes..Is that right? If you know of any deals or think I should wait till around christmas for a better deal..
    Please feel free to advise me..
    Thanks in advance..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree not to work with the Geek Squad. Just the same, don't go to a shop that makes computers. We have one around the corner where we donate all the computers we just can't use anymore. They build machines out of parts that could be 10+ years old and used hard and bill them as "new."

But you could find a Dell with all you need for $4-500. Look for the specials and bargains. But that's neither here nor there- if you know anyone who knows computers, have them get one for you. There are a few brands to avoid (like eMachines), but I don't think Dell is particularly evil. We have a lot at work and they do not tend to break down.

To be safe (especially if you have to run Vista,) you'll want at least a dual-core processor (or Core2 Duo) and 2-3Gb of RAM. Don't skimp here, this is where your performance comes from.

Yes, you need networking, no you do not need wireless or a modem.

It would be nice if you could configure the Dell you want, copy and paste the specs here, and let people show you where you can scrimp and where you could use extra in order to ensure performance and longevity.
    Last edited by Squirt; 09-30-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey thanks for the advice.
    Just to clarify, the old computer pass down.. My kids only use it for their games, right now. My oldest is waiting for a laptop as a gift for college. My youngest isn't on the internet much and plays his learning games. When there is something they need they also get to use mine. Sometimes, I don't make sense....lol

Explain to me when you get a minute what network means?
    Thanks again for your time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with Jason on all of his points, I used to build my own and my only reasoning for not building them was because after my divorce I did not have the time with 3 jobs and needed a computer "Now" so I bought a Hp Media center, it was like heaven on earth!!! I am on my 3rd media center and I swear by them. If your going to "buy" a computer get an HP...I love the fact that they actually last, and best of all, they are (like most are not) upgradable.
    We still have 2 computers I built, one is 4 years old and one if 5 and they are still running great too.
    Good luck on your venture, let us know what you decide to go with and how it works out for you!
    Mommy
    LOL by the way, when I said I was on my 3rd media center, I meant I had handed down 2 to the kids LMAO...It looked like when I re-read it, "I love them but they only last a few minutes" LMAO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"Networking" is what you're going to use to plug your computer into your toaster If there is what looks like a phone cord plugged from computer to toaster, that's how you're getting your internet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This past Christmas we bought my mom an HP computer from the website. We picked the basic model with a few add-ons and it was around $399 I think. It works well my brother plays games on it, my sister listens to music and my mom does whatever. I definitely recommend HP over Dell any day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I just HAVE to be different. I have 1 windows based computer running windows XP and then I have a computer running Linux Ubuntu and a Mac running 10.3.? Of the 3, I prefer the Mac. Yes, its more expensive and yes the software is harder to find but, It's 5 years old, it's been upgraded with new software 3 times had more memory added but best of all......it's NEVER crashed!!!!!

When I save the money I will definitely be buying another Mac.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have to speak up for Dell. We run an almost-completely-Dell site at work (with Sun servers and 1 Mac) and have very little trouble with them. We do keep the warranties on them and have great service. We do not typically do much in the way of modifying them other than adding scientific instrumentation, but have never had to replace a power supply in any of them (looked back over 8 years of easily accessible support records) and only once had to replace a fan. We pretty much buy them, set them up, and run them for about 6 or 7 years, by which time they typically need to be replaced due to OS changes (thanks to MS). We are still running XP, and resisting Vista as are many other organizations. If and when we are forced to convert to Vista, we will probably still stick with Dell.