All crock pots the same??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default All crock pots the same??

We have a large pot a 7 qt one and are thinking of getting a smaller one. Are they all basically the same? Or is one brand significantly better than another?
    BEF fully funded
    Debt Reduction
    heloc - $3,299 - 0 yes, yes, yes!
    mortgage - $62,382
    van payoff = <$9,500

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it comes down to features. How big is it? How long is the cord? Does it have a light when it is on? I wish mine did. I also wish the settings were printed on in ink and not molded in with raised letters. It's like reading braille trying to figure out if it is on high or warm.

Mine is over 10 years old and still going, so I don't have a lot of experience with different brands. But if I get another one, I'll be paying attention to the controls on it.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Honestly, in my experience they're all about the same. Some do have added features, but nothing that I felt was a "can't live without". The ones I've liked best and used most were also the ones that cost me the least.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have three and all are pretty old but work great. Not sure of the size or brand...but a big one, average one, and a mini one.

I don't even know what all the bells and whistles are on the new modern ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that are all pretty much the same too. I don't have any extra 'features' on mine and not sure I would use it if I did. I just have different sizes but then usually end up using a big one cause I get so carried away putting goodies in it. Have never used my small one......about small roast size.

I even have one that is so old the pot part doesn't come out to clean........THAT SUCKS! Make sure you get a removable pot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfanny
    I even have one that is so old the pot part doesn't come out to clean........THAT SUCKS! Make sure you get a removable pot.
    Ha, two of mine are like that. But what I love is those CP liners. Not frugal but so easy for clean up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    Ha, two of mine are like that. But what I love is those CP liners. Not frugal but so easy for clean up!
    Out of frustrated desperation I started using them too. I like them. I just don't use that crock pot very often. It is really heavy and that makes it a demon to clean.

It is so old that I am not all that sure it is safe anymore (as in fire hazard) so will use it if I am SURE I am going to be home all day.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Out of frustrated desperation I started using them too. I like them. I just don't use that crock pot very often. It is really heavy and that makes it a demon to clean.

It is so old that I am not all that sure it is safe anymore (as in fire hazard) so will use it if I am SURE I am going to be home all day.
    It's time to buy a new one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    It's time to buy a new one.
    Probably......but I still have one big one so that will do........I am too cheap to buy another. Have seen them in thrift shops too.

I actually wish I could break the habit of making enough to feed an army when I cook in it!! If it ain't full.......I just keep adding stuff until it is!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Probably......but I still have one big one so that will do........I am too cheap to buy another. Have seen them in thrift shops too.

I actually wish I could break the habit of making enough to feed an army when I cook in it!! If it ain't full.......I just keep adding stuff until it is!!
    I bought my mini one at the Goodwill a few years ago. It's perfect for peppers and onions for a fajita or something. Or...gag..those little smokies for dh. Then I scrub it to death.

That is the beauty of freezers.

I often want a new one just because...but well...too cheap to and no reason.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some slow cookers heat only from the bottom. You're better off with one that heats from the bottom and the sides.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have the crock pot brand crock pot. Did research online before I bought it and it had the best reviews. I have a large one that came with a small one. It was a great deal at Walmart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got a 2 qt crock pot slow cooker from Walmart for $9. Thanks everyone.
    BEF fully funded
    Debt Reduction
    heloc - $3,299 - 0 yes, yes, yes!
    mortgage - $62,382
    van payoff = <$9,500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Crockpot w/ removable liner. If you use a dishwasher make sure the liner can go INTO the DW and make sure it will FIT! Mistake on my part.

My CP goes to warm once the cooking time is done. I really like that feature as I'm not always home when it goes "off" and if it's on warm, it will stay at an eating temperature.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Crockpot w/ removable liner. If you use a dishwasher make sure the liner can go INTO the DW and make sure it will FIT! Mistake on my part.

My CP goes to warm once the cooking time is done. I really like that feature as I'm not always home when it goes "off" and if it's on warm, it will stay at an eating temperature.
    What kind do you have? I think I need a new one. My beloved Rival of 14yrs if finally dying. I would like my new one to be programmable...meaning 8-10hrs low high setting. My average out of the house cooking time is 11-12hrs and depending on what is cooking thats a bit too long. I would love my new one to switch to warm after 10 hrs.

I've been reading alot of reviews and alot of the new ones seem to cook too hot. I need one to cook to slow! LOL
    Judy

never loose site of the big picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast