Help! Crockpot too hot?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Help! Crockpot too hot?

When we arrived in Kuwait this summer I bought a new crockpot. It seemed to work fine the first couple of times I used it but it's been burning things if I try to leave them in the full time for LOW temp. recipes. I made Mac & Cheese the other day and it was supposed to be on low for 5-6 hours. About an hour into it, the cheese was melted and edges starting to brown. Never having used this recipe before maybe the times were off, but still I wouldn't think it would be cooking that quickly though.

I tried turning it to low but there were no little bubbles so I couldn't tell if it was cooking or not...didn't know if that setting would be warmer too or if it would just warm.

Any suggestions? It'd been a while since I'd used it but I want to think I'd had some chicken actually shrink up on me the last time...very unusual for a crockpot.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does it work better if it's full, as opposed to only half-full? I've read that they are supposed to work better when full. (Maybe the heater assumes that you have a full pot of food to heat and can't adjust for half-full?)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My crockpot has done that to me twice. The first time was because the rice had soaked up all the water I put in, so it started to burn. The second time was because I didn't stir it well enough at the beginning and a bunch of uncooked rice was sitting on the bottom with no water, so it burned. I don't know if either of these could've happened to you...just something to keep in mind.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just bought a new crock pot a month or so ago and I've found that it is MUCH hotter than my old one. I have to be sure to cook on low and for a lot less time than the recipe calls for. It doesn't matter if it is full or half full, it is the same. My stew was actually bubbling the other day and in my old crock pot it didn't do that. I still like having a crock pot, but this one is inconvenient because I can't let things cook all day, I have to go home for lunch to start them. My dad also bought a new crockpot and noticed the same thing. Maybe they are making them work hotter these days...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think a lot of it depends on the different brands of crockpots.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

My crockpot is only a couple of years old and it cooks very hot (Rival brand). I am able to start it at lunchtime on low and it is usually cooked by 5:30 or so. I'm almost afraid to try the high setting. I think the newer crockpots have been designed to stay hotter. When I come in from work I usually flip the switch to the "keep warm" setting so it will quit bubbling...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you, ladies! It's nice to know it's not just me and I'm not losing my mind or ability to read directions. LOL

It could be the fact that the mac and cheese didn't take up as much room as other things. I don't know why the Greek chicken I like to make would have the same problem because I usually end up putting in more chicken than it call for so we have plenty. Mine is supposed to be a Rival although it has another logo on it as well. Could be an overseas thing? I was about ready to go buy another one but I'm glad I didn't. I'd just have too of them too hot. I do have a newer, really nice Rival back in the States (you can even use the crock on the stovetop and in the oven) that doesn't have this problem, but it's apparently a top-of-the-line model so it may not have the heat problems that their other ones do?

Anyway, thanks again!

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My newer crockpot gets much hotter than my older one, too. Some things have dried out, so I've been allowing less time for cooking.