do you listen to dave radio show ??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default do you listen to dave radio show ??

how often where and when.

i don't listen to it live as the time it comes on is not good for me
    but i will stream it thru my puter using the archives .
    in fact i had got myself a mini netbook for work reasons so when i am away i can check my emails for work etc but i cant say i hate the fact i can take it anywhere in the house and listen to daves archives LOL!!

i listen to it when i am doing a longer than normal chore- IE today i am continuing to work on my basement to declutter it and find things for yard saling .

i listen to him when i play catch up on my work paperwork if i know i have at least an hours + to do .

question part 2

do you like listening to fridays show when people call in and yell they are debt free.

sometimes i do sometimes i don't
    some i find inspiring
    sometimes when people had a great income but were unwise with their $$ - owned two houses sold 1 and and 4 new cars and sold 3 and just stopped spending stupidly and were able to get debt free in a matter on months - its frustrates me because i didn't do things that = stupid tax to get me where i am so i cant get out by just stopping the stupid tax things . Not that it isn't great they saw the light and changed- it just doesn't inspire me i guess lol

but when i hear how an average income family pinched pennies and worked two jobs - and cut cable - cut back on food bill and occasional dining out and had yard sales etc - that inspires me .
    so alot depends on the mood i am in .

i kind of like the other days best though because it makes me think about the other peoples problems- how they can work them out and see if what dave says is the same ....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't even know where i can listen to the live show but i listen to it everyday at work through my phone. I have an Android phone and just listen to the previous day's podcasts. (actually listening to it right now).

i'm with you on the debt free screams. when you hear about those people making $160k and they paid of $40k in credit card debt in a year, well, yeah, that's nothing to really shout out about. but i'm amazed at those people that make $50k combined and pay off their homes and everything and they're in their early to mid 30's. impressive and inspiring.

i also find that listening to it keeps me focused on my own goals, just by reminding me about the important things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, I listen to it a lot. Usually on the radio as I'm getting things done around the house in the morning. Sometimes, like you, I'll also listen to the archives when I have a specific (maybe boring!) job to do because I miss shows and there are always some I haven't heard.

I like the debt free Fridays. All of the calls are great, but I also find the ones who really worked the plan long and hard on a shoestring, to be more inspiring. They let the average guy out there know that ANYONE can do it and win!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never heard Dave Ramsey's radio show, but I would if I could get it online. I like him and I'm one of those people who needs to hear something repeatedly for it to sink in.

I didn't know about the debt-free Friday thing, but I see how it could be good and bad. If someone says "I scraped by for years and it finally paid off." Then, yeah.

OTOH, if someone called in and said "Well I had way too much debt for all the expensive toys I HAD to have. But then I won the lottery and I'm debt-free for now." Then, not so much.

I wouldn't enjoy hearing anyone yelling anything on the radio. Does that sound like sour grapes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by LuLuBleen View Post
    I've never heard Dave Ramsey's radio show, but I would if I could get it online. I like him and I'm one of those people who needs to hear something repeatedly for it to sink in.
    Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan - daveramsey.com

Click on "Archives"
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't enjoy hearing anyone yelling anything on the radio. Does that sound like sour grapes?
    >>

LOL then dont listen on friday because they get to yell I'mmmm ( or we'reeeee ) debbbtt freeeeeeeee ......

which is actually good inspiration for many but i guess i prefer the problem solving questions - makes me think more LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I listen to Dave on XM Radio.

I get inspired by most callers.

Not the ones that pay off $90,000 in three months by eating rice and beans.

***** 2014 Goals *****

1) Add to Emergency Fund
    2) Pay off car by mid year
    3) Save for fall vacation
    4) Pay home off by December 31st.

Emergency fund = $18,000

Car Loan balance = 0

Home Loan Balance = 0

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

to be honest, I don't even know when his show is on. but I do listen to it online sometimes.

I find ALL of the stories inspiring. For a high-earner to find DR's advice relevant, for them to "get it," and cut back on their lifestyle and follow his plan deserves a ton of respect. No matter how much you make or where you started - it's not easy.

I think it is unfair to assume that high earners deserve less credit or admiration.

Can you imagine what these people went through with their friends, family, and coworkers?

I'm positive they all became a joke to everyone around them, Their friends (if they have any left) laugh at them for their new lifestyle... taking their lunch to work, driving a beater, pulling out envelopes to pay for something, etc etc. Can you imagine how their families reacted when they announced they were not exchanging gifts for Christmas or refused to go on a family vacation?

NO ONE pays off any kind of debt, and continues to live debt free without huge sacrifice, self restraint, and integrity. To live well below your means, if you make 25k or 125k is impressive!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been watching some of his past shows on Hulu

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never watched his show or listened to him. I might look into watching on Hulu.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I watch him on Fox sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i've got his podcast. i rarely miss one of those.
    Start date: May 20th, 2009
    Babystep 1: Emergency fund - done; 1000 EUR
    Babystep 2: Debt snowball - done; 23300 EUR (Paid off, Apr 2011).
    Babystep 3: Fully funded emergency fund - done; 18000/18000

Disclaimer: Male hormones are at work in close proximity to this key board. Therefore, please bear with me and if push comes to shove, please do blame anything stupid said on male 'logic'.