I'm not sure where to start....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I'm not sure where to start....

I'm trying really hard to get back on my feet and stop struggling. I used Dave's plan before but starting off was far more simple at that time.

Now, I've narrowly averted bankruptcy, lost a house and broke the lease on my car and I'm starting from scratch. Again. At 41. Sigh.

I'm doing a consumer proposal of $400 a month for the next 5 years. There is no interest on this, therefore, not that much benefit in paying it off early.

I have an 11 year old car that I owe 900 dollars on, again, no interest. As well, I owe my mother $600. I will be paying that off with my tax return next month.

Should my next step be paying off the proposal early or funding my baby EF? Any advice, even if it's harsh, is welcome.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am just starting the DR plan myself and probably shouldn't be giving advice just yet, but according to the plan and what you have described, you should work on your baby EF first. Then start the snowball.
    Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

baby EF of 1000 before anything else
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
    I'm doing a consumer proposal of $400 a month for the next 5 years. There is no interest on this, therefore, not that much benefit in paying it off early.
    Really? Think again.
    Do not only think about the numbers, but also take risk, the $400 a month hammer hanging over your head etc. into account.

If you manage to get yourself out of those payments, say, within 3 years, you have achieved a couple of things that I would consider a benefit. You have put blood, sweat and tears into proving to yourself that you can budget well, pay off that amount 2 years early, and when the time arrives, use roughly the same amount a month towards better goals.
    Much better than simply "settling" for doing the bare minimum.
    Start date: May 20th, 2009
    Babystep 1: Emergency fund - done; 1000 EUR
    Babystep 2: Debt snowball - done; 23300 EUR (Paid off, Apr 2011).
    Babystep 3: Fully funded emergency fund - done; 18000/18000

Disclaimer: Male hormones are at work in close proximity to this key board. Therefore, please bear with me and if push comes to shove, please do blame anything stupid said on male 'logic'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd fund that EF as soon as you can.
    ***** 2014 Goals *****

1) Add to Emergency Fund
    2) Pay off car by mid year
    3) Save for fall vacation
    4) Pay home off by December 31st.

Emergency fund = $18,000

Car Loan balance = 0

Home Loan Balance = $1,200

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think there's a reason why DR puts everything into steps. To make it less overwhelming (JMHO).
    Step 1 - Baby EF. Start there. Then start Step 2. Don't think about step 2 until you are getting close to starting it.

Remember 4 walls first. Then everything else comes next.

Good luck, we're cheering for you.
    It is what it is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you aren't actually behind on anything right now, and aren't racking up late fees, then you do the baby emergency fund first.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that 400 dollars a month is going to be a monthly reminder of something that's been horribly traumatizing for you. The financial element aside, maybe you should take another look at how important it will be to pay it off.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I vote for EF first. That will give you a little insurance against the unexpected. Then you can really focus on these other things.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    I think that 400 dollars a month is going to be a monthly reminder of something that's been horribly traumatizing for you. The financial element aside, maybe you should take another look at how important it will be to pay it off.
    What Nishu said and also....My vote would be split it. Have something put aside but getting rid of the 400 asap...don't know about canada but here if you can't pay it back in the repayment the bankruptcy stops ( which I realize you didn't file ) and the bill collectors can hound you again.
    I would split it..just me
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/August
    $

Coupons for Year / $745.54

August/ Grocery
    /Goal $175.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More August
    Goal 20
    Accomp/19

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/12

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I vote for establishing an emergency fund - you never know when you might need it. I had to use some of mine today and was glad to have it!
    Carol

Married to DH for 30 wonderful years!
    Mom to DS Eric 8/19/82 - 12/11/11
    Furbabies Chester and Charley

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep! What they all said!

$1000 EF First.

Pay off all debt asap. Regardless of interest.

Good Luck!! You can DO it!! It doesn't matter if you're 41 or 81.
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You make a lot of very good points. I will get the baby EF established and put aside the money for the DD's activities, then add an extra $100 a month to the payments, with more when I can.

(The activities are: tuition for a foreign exchange program for DD15 and competitive cheerleading for DD10 - I will be able to pay for the year in full with my tax return, and I am making separate savings accounts for each.)

I'm also looking at my living situation - I believe I can reduce my costs by $200-300 a month by moving to a less expensive place.

Niko - you are right - if you miss 3 months of payments the whole nightmare can start all over again and the proposal is void. Probably good to get that off my back as quickly as possible - I simply cannot go through this again.

Thank you again for the excellent advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
    (The activities are: tuition for a foreign exchange program for DD15 and competitive cheerleading for DD10 - I will be able to pay for the year in full with my tax return, and I am making separate savings accounts for each.)

I'm also looking at my living situation - I believe I can reduce my costs by $200-300 a month by moving to a less expensive place.
    you said: "Any advice, even if it's harsh, is welcome. "

ok, i am confused by the fact that you had to borrow money for rent this month from your mom, but someone is going to travel abroad? i cannot wrap my mind around this. what?

dear one, i am slamming you with a friendly smile on my face. but when i read that my jaw dropped.

also, i would tell daughter number 2 that we cannot afford cheerleading. you cannot put food on the table. you are in a consumer proposal.

i think you have to make some adjustments to your lifestyle.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    ok, i am confused by the fact that you had to borrow money for rent this month from your mom, but someone is going to travel abroad? i cannot wrap my mind around this. what?

dear one, i am slamming you with a friendly smile on my face. but when i read that my jaw dropped.

also, i would tell daughter number 2 that we cannot afford cheerleading. you cannot put food on the table. you are in a consumer proposal.

i think you have to make some adjustments to your lifestyle.
    I'm not offended at all and appreciate the advice.

Cheer had already been paid for the remainder of this school year. The money I am putting aside is for next year. If it turns out that is no longer possible I will discuss it with her at that time.

No payments have been made on the foreign exchange program yet either. DD15 has earned an art scholarship to pay for half of it, as well as her application fee, and her dad and I are to pay the other half. The travel expenses are included in the cost of the program. She is required to save her own spending money. With her fellowship the cost to us is just under $2000 - if I can make it happen at all I will - it's a great educational opportunity for her to study art in Europe.

The rent issue was unusual last month, as I was still paying huge bills on the house that is now off my plate. When I went over my budget with the trustee she agreed that these things were doable once I was no longer paying an additional $100 a month in utilities and insuring an empty house for $300 a month. Also, my CTB check got lost in the mail because of our recent move, which accounts for $500 of the $600 I borrowed. Things will be brighter now for us.

Please keep in mind, I won't be saving for these items until my baby EF is in place and my proposal is established.

Thank you. Your input is appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast