inspiring blog post; living like no one else
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default inspiring blog post; living like no one else

I subscribe to the "Simple Dollar" and was inspired today by a post about living like no one else, so I thought I would share:

The Simple Dollar “Live Like No One Else So You Can Live Like No One Else”

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's a great post. What is funny is the comments. Some of them are under the impression you HAVE to make your own laundry soap to be successful. They get stuck on one point and don't think about the article as a whole.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Telling the truth means you never have to remember which lie you told.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree; I'm not sure why I even read the comments...you know you should look away but you just can't.

My favorite: "Of course, the answer could be “No, I’m not willing to live like no one else now to ‘live like no one else’ later,” and that’s okay too. No rule saying being exceptional will ultimately make you happier than being average and content."

Funny.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read the Simple Dollar blog, too, but haven't visited in a while. Thank you for the link to the article. I can't read ANY comments on blog posts, YouTube, or news articles. It sickens me some of the things people say behind the veil of anonymity.
    Totally debt free since January 2011.
    Fully funded Emergency Fund complete December 12, 2011! Yeah!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've already read it and commented on it. Yes, I'm one of the "negative" ones.

I've been reading that blog for several years, as have most of the commenters. You really have to know a lot of the history of the blog to understand why the comments are a little harsher than you might expect.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Telephus44 View Post
    I've already read it and commented on it. Yes, I'm one of the "negative" ones.

I've been reading that blog for several years, as have most of the commenters. You really have to know a lot of the history of the blog to understand why the comments are a little harsher than you might expect.
    I agree. I have read the blog nearly since the day it started and over time have come to disagree with the author quite a bit, and I do understand the many points of criticism.

But thanks for sharing the post. Still thought-provoking!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the sad part about blogs and great ones at that , is you many people that think they own you, or can criticize you or your choices because they are your "reader" and then the blogsosphere loses again eventually...... as many of the great writers leave.

Criticism is great, needed and varied opinions is what makes us all learn and grow but some of the bad apples, make everyone lose eventually. I have seen some great blogs go by the wayside due to harsh unwarranted criticism. Like I said criticism and opinions are great, some not.....Just adding not to anyone here but in general , as we always get later why did you go private, or why did you leave blogging? Why some in the web world stay on forums, blogs , boards or whatever that they don't like puzzzles me, move on to one you do there are plenty out there. To some of the nasty commenters ( on the wonderful web, not here ) who are mean out there...If you don't find one you like...well then some introspection is needed.... Sorry off the rant now...LOL

Loved the post by the way thanks for sharing Gmarie.
    Last edited by HappyMama; 04-12-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gmarie View Post
    I agree; I'm not sure why I even read the comments...you know you should look away but you just can't.

My favorite: "Of course, the answer could be “No, I’m not willing to live like no one else now to ‘live like no one else’ later,” and that’s okay too. No rule saying being exceptional will ultimately make you happier than being average and content."

Funny.
    I agree with the comment. Being average is okay. At least you're in good company.

I think this guy has some good points sometimes, but he can also be a turd. He goes on about living like no one else but he's also good at doing the very spendthrifty thing of justifying silly thing. His article about cheap diapers chafed my bum a bit. (haha, get it?)

The problem is that most diaper buyers don’t consider total cost of ownership when purchasing diapers. They see the store brand on sale, think “a diaper is a diaper,” and toss it in their cart. It’s true that in many cases generics work just as well as name brands, but this is not true of diapers.
    I think I remember him posting a picture of a basket full of brand new top of hte line cloth diapers which might have saved him money if his kid isn't potty trained till 10.

I may not care for the guy too much myself but his opinion of himself seems to more than make up for the lack of affection I have for him so it's all good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is in response to HappyMama.

I think that just as people grow and mature over time, blogs do too. And sometimes that's for better, sometimes that's for worse. For comparison, I also read Get Rich Slowly. As the original author has matured, he's changed his blog - the biggest change being to add "staff writers" so that there's other people writing posts. If you read most of the comments there, you'll find that a lot of them have been reading the blog for a long time and appreciate that he's grown and the blog has grown with him. He's changed it both to keep it relevant for him and his readers.

The Simple Dollar is different in that while the author has also changed over the years, he's changed in a way that doesn't sit well with a lot of his readers, and it shows in the comments. If you really want to read something amusing, find the post on there with the $3 bathing suit. Personally, the two biggest reasons I still read it are 1. it's one of the few websites I can get to at work that aren't blocked and 2. there are several commenters there that I look forward to reading (Love Johanna!)

I guess it's the same way in real life too - people change and sometimes people we were friends with 20 years ago are no longer our friends now. We may either just let the friendship drift (I guess the blog equivalent would be no longer reading) or sometimes you might directly let someone know that you no longer have X in common, or that you don't approve of their new lifestyle, or whatever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Telephus44 View Post
    This is in response to HappyMama.

I think that just as people grow and mature over time, blogs do too. And sometimes that's for better, sometimes that's for worse. For comparison, I also read Get Rich Slowly. As the original author has matured, he's changed his blog - the biggest change being to add "staff writers" so that there's other people writing posts. If you read most of the comments there, you'll find that a lot of them have been reading the blog for a long time and appreciate that he's grown and the blog has grown with him. He's changed it both to keep it relevant for him and his readers.

The Simple Dollar is different in that while the author has also changed over the years, he's changed in a way that doesn't sit well with a lot of his readers, and it shows in the comments. If you really want to read something amusing, find the post on there with the $3 bathing suit. Personally, the two biggest reasons I still read it are 1. it's one of the few websites I can get to at work that aren't blocked and 2. there are several commenters there that I look forward to reading (Love Johanna!)

I guess it's the same way in real life too - people change and sometimes people we were friends with 20 years ago are no longer our friends now. We may either just let the friendship drift (I guess the blog equivalent would be no longer reading) or sometimes you might directly let someone know that you no longer have X in common, or that you don't approve of their new lifestyle, or whatever.

Thanks Telephus for giving your thoughts and insights!
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Trent is a tool. I had to unsubscribe from his blog because he was too smug for me to deal with on a daily basis.

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also read his blog, but I do it more as a reminder to myself to stay focued on eliminating debt and becoming more frugal rather than taking his "lessons" to heart. Then again, many of his blogs are the same message...over and over and over and over and over again. He tried to be as much of a "life coach" as an actual debt reduction analyst. Once in awhile I'll read one and it'll make me look at something differently...but it's pretty rare. Overall I find his writing style pretty simplistic and his book (which I downloaded for free) simply didn't have enough real content to keep me vaguely interested for more than about 10 pages. My wife, who's always been the relatively frugal one, didn't make it that far.

Chad