Does anyone else get annoyed with Dave Ramsey? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't listened much lately, as I have no interest in the Entre-Leadership book tour, and the political rants seem to be getting more frequent. No skin off Dave's back, though, as I was only a freeloader in the first place (listened for free online, never bought a single book, etc.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dancemommy View Post
    There are some times when paying off your house is probably not in your best interest either.
    This is myself, as well. We have plans to eventually sell this place and buy somewhere rural with acreage. It would be foolish to pay off this house first. That money can better go toward saving up for our land, and then selling this house hopefully at a net gain - or at least renting it and having them pay off the mortgage.

However, if you plan to live in the same house forever, or at least longer than 10 years, then yes, by all means, pay it off.
    Sara

Baby Step 1: DONE!!!
    Baby Step 2: DONE!!!
    Baby Step 3: $5,551.53/$17,000 goal (6 months)
    Baby Step 4: Invest 15% of income into retirement
    Baby Step 5: College funding for 4 kids
    Baby Step 6: Pay off mtg
    Baby Step 7: Build Wealth and Give!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dancemommy View Post
    I am thankful that our house is not paid off since it's value decreased. I'd rather sell at a loss and be out potential money than sell at a loss and be out money I had paid in to pay it off in its entirety. Overall, he was interesting to listen to though.
    In your scenario, the math doesn't work out the way you think. Seriously - you're dead wrong on this. If it was worth $100k and now its worth $80k you're out $20k either way.

But every penny you pay extra on the debt on the house early saves you many pennies long term, so paying off the house early even if its lost value still is better than paying it off later.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never cared for him. I was listening to the radio one day and he came on talking about how much money you can save by trading in your car for a new one..... ok go out and trade in a car you still owe on...... haha I dont think so bud! I know some people that love him, but hes not for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think Dave would say that. Or maybe Im not understanding what you mean by trading in your car for a new one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If he said that he probably meant the jaguar for a Kia.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yeah, i like listening to him when i need to refocus but for the most part, he is frustrating.

i know my debt is bad and i dont need to be made to feel worse about it. i also dont need to be made to feel bad that once in a while a treat is worthwhile in keeping one on track....nothing huge, but a movie or new book is helpful in keeping you going rather than feeling deprived all the time.

@greebo - i find your attitude towards this whole issue just as bad as DRs. i dont have the skills or the knowledge or the finances to go out and buy rental properties and rent them out. nor is it something i'm interested in doing.

the midle class, sir, can be a relatively wide range. i make $36K after taxes and sure as heck ain't tons. i dont qualify for any assistance and when i'm spending 1.5 paycheques just on living expenses, please tell me just how far i can keep stretching the all mighty dollar without living under the bridge? i'm not going to deny my daughter everything under the sun just to save a buck or two.

its frustrating to read some posts by people who supposedly understand and then end up jumping down your throat just because you dont agree with their method ...hmmm, sounds like what DR does some days
    working hard towards a simple life

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like and believe in his program but I do not care for him. I just read and do the main aspects but do not listen to him and would never go to see him.
    Right is right even if no one else is doing it. Wrong is wrong even if everyone else is doing it.

IF IT IS TO BE.....IT IS UP TO ME
    The 12/12/12 project! Missed this target...but onward I go!

$24,202.77 Total debt due on 11/11/11.

$2,902.33 Total balance due as of 2/5/13 .

Kitty mommy to:
    JC 5/3/2012 RIP...I miss you old man.
    Jack

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really enjoy listening too him. It keeps me motivated. Sometimes I think he cuts some important callers questions short and rambles to other callers that doesn't seem that important.

I have to say I can't wrap my brain around the 9.95 fee to post on his message board a month!(nicey to give your debit info for a short time to post for free. ) I've donated 15 bucks a year, twice to a board that I loved and needed the money. (didn't have to, just wanted too)

But seriously??? When is rich, rich enough?? *puts on tin hat*

I read there what I can and that's enough for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find it amazing that people get sucked in by rich people trying to sell you something, that's what I think of DR , Rush, Suze, and Beck etc, maybe they start out trying to help, but eventually the all mighty dollar sucks them in. There are many financial experts with books at the library for free that can help you get out of debt and give you the tools to manage your finances. They all more or less say the same thing. DR and the rest have writers that give them key words to get your attention just like politicians and TV evangelist, we all think they're wonderful and follow just like sheep.

Not trying to insult anyone, this is just my opinion. I believe that no one person has all the answers we have to listen to all to get the real story.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    I didn't realize Elizabeth Warren had a book. She's so awesome. I've had a thing for her ever since I saw that documentary about debt. I think it was Maxed Out.

Thank you for this. Its on Netflix. I'm going to watch it today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like Suze Ormans financial advice, but truthfully most of the stuff touted by the majority of these "gurus" is common sense.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

lol DR is in that documentary. I find it ironic that he makes money off of other peoples misery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by melanies View Post
    lol DR is in that documentary. I find it ironic that he makes money off of other peoples misery.
    It is ironic, but he HAS helped a lot of people turn their financial lives around, including ours. Why shouldn't he make a good living doing what he's good at? Paid of $32k in under 2 years, debt free except the mortgage now. No one is REQUIRED tp purchase his products, plenty of info online and at the library. I do not agree with ALL his methods, I think his baby EF is too low, I think it's ridiculous to encourage people to STOP payig into retirement for a few years, even if they get 'company matches' but you take what works for you and leave the rest. While we did not follow his EXACT plan he was definetly an inspiration (well, he and the people who call in) and gets the credit from us.

I have started listening to his radio show lately, but I only listen 30-45 minutes- get tired of the commercials. I think some people get irritated by him because what he has to say hits close to home.

Luckily we all have the freedom to follow whatever teachings we agree with-or not.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $141946.74 Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2376.73

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh its cool. I know he helps people, and I'm happy that people truly do benefit from what he does and he can make a living from it to boot.

Its kinda like I LOVE Michael Moore, but the guy is probably wading in money with all of the documentaries he has made critiquing capitalism. Yet another irony.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast