Giving during BS2
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Giving during BS2

I'm tired of just giving the minimum amount our church requires... I want to do more... what are some (inexpensive) ways that I can give to charity (and feel like I am making even a small difference) while in BS2? I do volunteer at a horse farm for special needs kids, but I feel like it doesn't "count" since I am getting lessons in return. Thanks for your input!

What are the best organizations for "sponsoring" a child in need?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

your own house first.
    get out of debt first. tithing is a commandment to do always.

optinal giving can come later.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Volunteer....is there a chairty in you area, or people in your church in need, who you could drive to appointments sometimes? Food banks also always need man-power....

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $143,239.43
    Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2066.45

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree that after the tithe, the rest is optional after you have repaid what you owe. Here are some volunteer things you could do in the mean time.
    Crisis pregnancy center
    Food pantry
    Church office
    Missions organization

My son cuts grass for an older church member in the community who can no longer care for his property
    My daughter provides childcare for our Mothers of Pre Schoolers group meetings.
    Our whole family helps with food and such for funeral dinners
    Ask your pastor or church secretary - I bet they can give you a hundred ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dave counsels that the MOST you should give during BS2 is the tithe. You've already promised away that extra which you would like to give. Get out of debt first before you start doing more than the minimum.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the others. The tithe is all you should be giving right now. Extra offerings on top of that are after your debt is paid. Like others have suggested, there are lots of ways to volunteer your time. Most people don't realize it, but God wants our time as much as our money. So you can "tithe" your time, too. There are 168 hours in a week. 10% of that is 16.8 hours. That's a lot of time to donate in a week.... LOL Just a couple hours once a week teaching Sunday school, or helping out an elderly neighbor or relative, or helping at a food bank or pregnancy center, or anything else you can think of is excellent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel like it doesn't "count" since I am getting lessons in return. Thanks for your input!

Sometimes God keeps his lessons from us until one day when he feels that you are ready to learn then he will show us. Stop looking for the "Lessons" and enjoy the smiles on the children faces as you are helping them ride the horse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Become a Big Sister with Big Brothers/big sisters...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

give your time and talent. to me they are just as important as tithing.

there is so much you can do. you could take an elderly person under your wing and visit them, shop for them, help around the house, etc...

you could volunteer in an official capacity with a church or an organization.

you could teach sunday school, lead a bible study, organize a prayer circle.

all sorts!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by homemaker66 View Post
    I feel like it doesn't "count" since I am getting lessons in return. Thanks for your input!

Sometimes God keeps his lessons from us until one day when he feels that you are ready to learn then he will show us. Stop looking for the "Lessons" and enjoy the smiles on the children faces as you are helping them ride the horse.
    I think she meant she is getting riding lessons or something in exchange for her volunteering.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you coupon? Pick up items you can get for free or nearly free at places like CVS and donate them. Domestic violence shelters always need toiletries and baby items

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mateosbaby View Post
    I think she meant she is getting riding lessons or something in exchange for her volunteering.
    That's what I gathered, as well.

It seems simple, stop accepting the lessons. Ask if you can donate those lessons to others. Ask you church if they could use your help volunteering elsewhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the great suggestions. Now, if only I had some extra time! I don't even have time for the horse farm these days!
    I have been trying to get in a routine with the multiple jobs, and my sleep schedule has been off... it feels like it is starting to get better, but this is still slow time... it will only get busier from here! But, I am going to work in time for some of these suggestions, they are great! Thanks again!