Don't hate me b/c I'm rich - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by IntlMom View Post
    Not all of "us" Russ.

I'm assuming that most here would call us "rich"....not quite at 6 figures..but awfully doggone close.
    We have no car debt, cause we are both driving 6 year old paid for cars. We have (almost) no c/c debt...next month we'll pay our no interest c/c off 10 months before the 12 months same as cash is up.
    Last but not least, we have waaay less house than the bank says we can "afford"....we only owe about 25% of what it's worth, and hope to have it paid in full within the next few years.

Again, "rich" is a relative term. According to the gov't (and from the article in Greebos post) we are in about the top 10%........ but we choose to "live like no one else so later we can live like no one else". No "toys", watch sales, combine coupons, garage sale shop, clearance shop for clothing,....you know, the stuff we all do!!
    In other words, we don't live like we are "rich"...whatever that means!

You're are correct. I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the folks who are "perceived" to be rich because they have the huge homes and fancy cars.
    There was a woman who worked here that bought a huge home 3000 sqft +. She said, "this is my retirement" and it was beautiful. Driving by you would say , wow those people must be LOADED!
    Couldn't be further from the truth. She was so "house poor" she could not afford furniture.
    Those are the "rich people" I feel sorry for.

You are the (smart) rich people I'm envious of.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sons sponsors from the naval academy are well to do. They own their own bussiness but they have to pay 54 cent tax on every dollar earn even if they have not collected on it. They work hard for their buck. They also give back to their community by sponsoring mids from the academy. Not 1 not 2 but 13 to 14 young men and women that are away fom home. They took ghreat care of my son. Just because they have money doesn't mean they are snobs........ They have to put their pants on one leg at a time......... More puwer to them for making it.
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wanted to discuss how we feel about a) the rich:

The really wealthy people I know in my life....made their money by working really hard and doing without, and making sacrifices, I think they paid a price for their success, meaning they missed out on a lot of their childrens/family/friends life events.

Being from Alaska I know that old saying about not judging a book by it's cover......that guy in the jeans and plaid shirt could own half the town! So how someone dresses or what they drive means little.

b) people who make a large income but aren't necessarily rich?

I think it's all about choices.....we all choose how we want to spend what we have.

JMHO,
    leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't necessarily hate rich people, per se, but there are some people out there with an abundant amount of cash that are just given it. I have all the respect in the world for the people who work very hard, go through alot of expensive schooling, etc to get where they are. It's the ones who are given the cash via relations that really irk me. I like what the Hilton founder did in restricting Paris Hilton's fortune. That stuff is wicked awesome, but I still think she got more than she deserved. Her sister is the better one, imo.

People like the Olsen twins who have worked their entire lives deserve what they get.

People whose fortunes feed off of someone else who did all the hard work don't deserve a dime.

I never understood why CEOs get paid millions of dollars when they really don't do alot of hard work to begin with. Alberta recently scrapped their hierarchy of CEOs in the health sector who were getting paid millions of dollars a year and I think that's great.

It's always been my belief that you should be paid the amount that you put into your work. People who found companies that they work really hard to get to where they are at, well, should be paid for their labor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a problem at all with some people making more than I do, having more 'stuff' than I do, etc.

I've always told my kids that people with more money have the SAME money problems we have - they're just a higher dollar amount! And when it comes to people having more 'stuff' than we have - does that stuff make them happy? Nope. It just means that when that stuff breaks or wears out, they have to buy it again. If we don't have it to begin with, then we don't have to buy it or repair it if it breaks, now do we?

I do get annoyed with those who flaunt their wealth and act as though those who are lower income are second class citizens, though. I work with some of those....they'll be nice to you when you're working with them, but if you see them outside the office, you're hard-pressed to even get a 'hello' out of them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We live next to a "Millionare Next Door" type of guy and we love him. He's made his money by taking every opportunity offered him. Yes he's traveled, but his family is doing well and his wife just retired with full benefits at 53. They planned their lives out well and we listen to everything he says about money. He is now going to work for a company in the middle east but will only go over 2 weeks at a time then work at home for 6 and still work for his old company, that's how much he's in demand. And getting paid like he would if he went over to the middle east. I don't begrudge him a thing, he's earned every dime he has!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honestly, I do feel a little envy. Because one of my personal goals in life is to be rich when I retire. I use the envy I feel to spur myself on towards that goal.

And I seriously hate all of the "rich" bashing - for everyone who whines that people with 4000sq houses and BMW's can't afford them and are up to their debt in eyeballs - some people out there CAN afford this stuff. Not everyone with a big house or expensive car is broke! In my opinion this is the same as juding poor people as stupid or lazy - it's something that you can tell yourself to make you feel morally superior. Instead of saying Wow, I wish I had a big house you can say Wow, I'm a better person because they have lots of debt and make bad financial decisions, but I don't, I'm so much better than they are... In many ways its no different than a bully picking on other kids to make himself feel better because he has low self-esteem. You're just picking on people who are rich. People who "rich-bash" also assume that people with things are too materialistic and spiritually void - like somehow you're a better person if you only have the barest basic necessities. It's almost like keeping up with the Joneses in reverse - instead of trying to show off with the most posessions, people end up trying to out compete each other in how little they can live off of and how few things they can own. But in the end - they're still trying to keep up with someone.

Sorry this is somewhat rambling, but this is a big hot button issue with me, and I've been drafting a blog entry about it in my head for a few days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It doesn't bother me as long as they are just to their co-worker, employees and the communities they do business in. I do have a serious problem with very rich folk who use their money to twist the system into making them even more money at the expense of their employees and communities (think wal-mart handing out public assistance information to new employees).

I think some people holler "tax 'em, make 'em pay" because they resent not being rich themselves but don't want to do the work it takes to get that way. I also think that many people don't have a realistic handle on what actually constitutes richness in these days. I know lots of people who think a million dollars is rich, but to me it just seems "well off". A person with a million in the bank will cover their retirement and that's about it. Shoot, a 4 bedroom house will run you 3 to 400,000 here in Portland. I just don't think of people who make 100 grand or have a million in the bank as rich, so much as upper middle class. They will get their kids to college, have a nice house and some nice cars, get to take nice vacations but they aren't buying gold plated toilets and champange with dinner every night either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try not to judge anyone one their income or their "appearance" of having lots of income. The only time I've ever been a little miffed over someone with money is when they act superior because of it, and I find that isn't the case in the majority of cases.
    Starlight
    mama to: dd (15) and ds (10) and dd
    married to DH for 17 years

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    How are we defining "rich"? Is a rich person someone who appears rich because they have fancy cars, a huge home, takes vacations, etc? Or is it someone who by all appearances leads a modest life but has $xxx in the bank "rich"? Or something entirely different? Or a combination?
    I'm referring to truly wealthy people Chelle....people with lots of money, assets, investments or whatever...true wealth. Not perceived wealth or anything of the like but honestly wealthy people.

As for my own opinion (or more of it....)...

We make a decent income but by modern standards are not rich (although we lead a rich life, like many have stated). I too am sometimes bothered by the rich bashing b/c I feel it's my right to choose to be rich if I'm given the opportunities and desire to be so. I don't personally believe there's a thing wrong with the pursuit of wealth as long as you don't make your money by breaking the backs of the downtrodden. JMHO. Another thing that I'd like to add....we are small business owners and we do make choices to in order to build and work our business but we don't sacrifice our family in doing so. Gripey always made time for the kids and their activities when they were at home and we have absolutely no regrets over missed opportunities b/c of that. There were times we could have made more money if he had chosen not to go the state track meet to watch our dd participate, etc.....but we chose for him to go, knowing full well that this was one of those times that nothing else really mattered. I don't believe that in order to be rich you have to sacrifice your family to get there, is my point (after much to do there....sorry).

I say, if you wanna be rich....then good for you. Be rich, but please be fair and be honest.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieRose View Post
    I'm referring to truly wealthy people Chelle....people with lots of money, assets, investments or whatever...true wealth. Not perceived wealth or anything of the like but honestly wealthy people.
    My question was prompted by Russ's reply, not because I was disagreeing with you. On the contrary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn't take it that way anyway (maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake.... ).

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As a home health nurse, I work in one of the wealthier areas of our city. Many of my patients are from very old money. The majority are very nice people and there are some not so nice ones here and there. Just like poor people, just like middle class people, there is good and bad--but mostly good. Many are also pretty frugal (especially that older generation.) . I really don't feel they are any better or worse than I am and I really don't envy them because I think I'm pretty blessed in my life anyway. Maybe those who are jealous and critical of those who are wealthy really have never personally known anyone with any wealth or have only met jerks who have money. Anyway, isn't ignorance usually the basis of predjudice?

--Michelle
    Last edited by Michelle68; 07-23-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Too many distractions and typing too fast. (As usual...)
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $36,932.06

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

America is the land of opportunity-some people take advantage of that and others don't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How do I feel about rich people? PROUD of them, so yes in a way I would say I am a bit jealous BUT I despise rich people who dont pay their taxes and get off with a small sentence in jail.

There is nothing wrong with being rich, I say all the more power too them BUT pay taxes and do things the right way... the way of the law.

Had it been a lower income person, we would have our wages garnished, tax return money taken, etc...

It's not right that the rich can "BUY" their way out of things while the NON rich people have to suffer and pay for their actions.
    Last edited by FrugalMomof3; 07-23-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast