Don't hate me b/c I'm rich - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalMomof3 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with being rich, I say all the more power too them BUT pay taxes and do things the right way... the way of the law.
    I totally agree with this....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't think of "rich people" as being a type. I object to anyone who behaves in a snobbish manor, regardless of the basis of their snobbery (money, education, family, popularity, looks, etc.)
    I also object to the assumption that anyone who is not well off just didn't work at it - I've known alot of hard-working responsible people who have had circumstances (extreme medical conditions, unforeseeable catastrophes, unwarranted job losses, etc.) thrown at them that made/kept them financially disabled. There is a certain luck factor that comes into play.

I have no desire to be wealthy, and would consider it wasteful for me to be so. My desires are simple, and if I won the lottery I'd probably give the majority to charity as fast as I could identify where I thought it would be well used.

I am in favor of a national sales tax, where people would be taxed based on their spending but with virtually no opportunity to cheat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I enjoy money. I enjoy having a certain lifestyle.It is a personal choice.I resent no one who worked hard and earned their money in an honest and legal fashion. I resent no one who is given money.Working for money is not a drudge, or a ball and chain. For some, it is enjoyable.Making money work for YOU is a joy.I have just as much respect for those who make other choices. I don't care how much money you make, or don't make. Coffee and cakes are good no matter where you eat them. Little cottage or lavish mansion. If the hostess is a delight, I feel rich .The attitude determines the altitude, to me.
    Last edited by annymoll; 07-23-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The closest I've come to feeling jealousy towards "the rich" is a fleeting wish that my grass would look so good, or that I would be able to afford to have someone help me clean. And those two thoughts really are just very fleeting wishes.

There is no study published, to the best of my knowledge, that equates happiness with wealth. People from third world countries are, on average, at least as happy as Americans. Maybe it's a truism, or trite, but money doesn't buy happiness. I've known miserable rich people, miserable poor people, and miserable middle class people.

I also don't envy people who appear to be happy. I do, however, find them intriguing, and I observe and analyze so that I might walk closer to their shoes...
    Last edited by Shoshana; 07-23-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't really give a lot of thought to the wealthy people. They don't need me to look out for them.

At dinner the other night, dh went around and kissed each kid on the head. My 4 year old said, "Thanks, Daddy. We're rich with the love."

I couldn't agree more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suebeehoney View Post
    I don't have a problem at all with some people making more than I do, having more 'stuff' than I do, etc.

I've always told my kids that people with more money have the SAME money problems we have - they're just a higher dollar amount! And when it comes to people having more 'stuff' than we have - does that stuff make them happy? Nope. It just means that when that stuff breaks or wears out, they have to buy it again. If we don't have it to begin with, then we don't have to buy it or repair it if it breaks, now do we?

I do get annoyed with those who flaunt their wealth and act as though those who are lower income are second class citizens, though. I work with some of those....they'll be nice to you when you're working with them, but if you see them outside the office, you're hard-pressed to even get a 'hello' out of them.
    I basically feel the same way. I have relatives on both sides who are 'well off'. Their are those on my Dad's side who flaunt their wealth and do treat us of lower income as second class citizens while others on my Mom's side are wonderful in the respect that they treat everyone the same. We're all welcomed with open arms and treated like equals.

Debbie in Missouri

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't feel one way or another about people who have a lot of money. People are people and there are all types of people at all income levels. Do I ever think it would be nice to be rich? Sure, who doesn't? Do I sit around and bemoan the fact that I'm not loaded? Nope! I have enough and that's what's important to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm probably going to be seen as rambling but I will say this anyway.

My Father makes a very good living. He owns a yacht, RV, sports car and two homes. He got it all because he worked for it, and hard. Sometimes at the criticism of his own family. He did not grow up with much and neither did my mom. Both sides of the family can say what they want about his money but they don't have any problem asking for it when they are in trouble.And he has never had any problem with giving it to them. But does he ever get thanked? NO instead he gets criticized.If you think it's easy having money, your wrong. It just comes with a whole other list of problems.
    With all that said about my father, he doesn't give his money to his kids. He taught us to earn our own and solve our own problems. In my entire adult life my father has given me a grand total of 1500.00 dollars. Do I begrudge him and think he is being stingy with is money.NO I love him because he has taught me the value of money and the value of self esteem.

I do not dislike people with money. I dislike people who think money makes them more valuable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    I'm probably going to be seen as rambling but I will say this anyway.

My Father makes a very good living. He owns a yacht, RV, sports car and two homes. He got it all because he worked for it, and hard. Sometimes at the criticism of his own family. He did not grow up with much and neither did my mom. Both sides of the family can say what they want about his money but they don't have any problem asking for it when they are in trouble.And he has never had any problem with giving it to them. But does he ever get thanked? NO instead he gets criticized.If you think it's easy having money, your wrong. It just comes with a whole other list of problems.
    With all that said about my father, he doesn't give his money to his kids. He taught us to earn our own and solve our own problems. In my entire adult life my father has given me a grand total of 1500.00 dollars. Do I begrudge him and think he is being stingy with is money.NO I love him because he has taught me the value of money and the value of self esteem.

I do not dislike people with money. I dislike people who think money makes them more valuable.
    Wonderful story & very well put - I totally agree. Your father sounds like an amazing man for raising you the way he did!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would not say I hate someone simply for having or not having a lot of money. I hate greed and corruption, tyrants, liars and cheats from all walks of life. I hate those who would try and discount another human being because they don't have much and want to enslave them and take advantage of them.

Enron suddenly comes to mind. Don't know why.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't give rich people much thought as far as money wise. But where I live is a "summer home" for many older "rich" folks and then there families come to visit. Now I live in the mountains of NC and they come here, and I am speaking of most of them", with the attitude that they are better. What I mean by that is they have money yes, but also they think they are more educated. I have had people actually laugh in my face when I am talking to them about something that they think I am not smart enough to discuss. So my answer is I really do not care to be around the influx of rich people around here. I can't speak for all rich people I am sure that they are good and bad just like every group.
    Jeanna

Wife to Ken for 27 years
    DS 25
    DD 20

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I'll try again tomorrow. --Mary Anne Radmacher

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I donīt hate rich people in general, but I hate it when someone thinks he is somehow better because he has money. My husband used to drive a taxi and often the most difficult customers were those who were rich. They were so rude. Not all of them, ofcourse.

I donīt really value money so much. I donīt admire anyone because of money. I admire people who are intelligent, kind, generous and sivilized, cultivated and educated. Like Bill Gates, there is a man I really admire. He is very rich, but has social conscience aswell. He cares about your country and its future. He is interested in education (a big plus from me) and cares about Africa, not only his own country but Africa!!!

I kind of believe that people who are intelligent and fortunate have more obligation to society. You have been given a gift and now itīs your turn to give to those who have less. Many people do this, ofcourse, and itīs not just money you can give.

But in general, rich or not, itīs how you treat other people that counts.

And, I have to add, that envy goes both ways. Some of the most envious people I know, are rich. They think that if a person is poor, itīs his own fault (even if the person is a child) and he should not have anything, barely even to be called a human.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I feel like I need to post here as I think, especially on this forum, some of the opinions, that aren't necessarily meant to be taken as a judgement on an entire group, are when it comes to money issues.

I don't ever think of the "rich" or the "poor" as a group. I think of who has "busted their butt" to be where they are and who "slides in or smoozes". Am I occassionnally envious of people with more money than I am. Yes! Could I rearrange my priorites so I could make more money? Yes! Am I also occasssionnally envious of people who speak multiple languages, or whose children are better behaved, or whose extended family is different than mine, or a billion other things? YES!!!! The key is there are OCCSSIONNAL days when we all wish for something different. If we FREQUENTLY wish/envy something else we should be making changes to get there.

I do have a much more negative outlook on people that are handed things. Is that a personal issue? It sure is. Because someone is given something doesn't make them a bad person or wrong. "I" know this is a sore spot for me and I try to stay aware of it. I am not always successfull in that though and am frequently judgemental of people that automatically fall into my "slacker" box. I have worked almost full time since I was 13. Nothing has ever been handed to me. I think, whether we like it or not, our values are generally tied to the paths we have personally walked. We understand the types of battles we've fought ourselves. I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who have struggled up the food chain PERSONALLY.

I wonder if sometimes on this forum if the "groups" being battled aren't really the "rich" and the "poor" but the "slackers" of the rich/poor group that are being dressed down by the opposite high/low income group here. With of corse then members of the "group" being dressed down then assumming because they fall into that income category it addressed at them.

Just my opinion. Hope it makes sense and isn't imfla,atory.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

After rereading my post I think I should probably qualify that I don't believe there are too many "slackers or smoozers" from any income category here. If they show up they probably don't tend to stay too long as all of us tend to be working towards something. We are a very goal oriented group in my opinion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle68 View Post
    As a home health nurse, I work in one of the wealthier areas of our city. Many of my patients are from very old money. The majority are very nice people and there are some not so nice ones here and there. Just like poor people, just like middle class people, there is good and bad--but mostly good. Many are also pretty frugal (especially that older generation.) . I really don't feel they are any better or worse than I am and I really don't envy them because I think I'm pretty blessed in my life anyway. Maybe those who are jealous and critical of those who are wealthy really have never personally known anyone with any wealth or have only met jerks who have money. Anyway, isn't ignorance usually the basis of predjudice?

--Michelle
    Thanks for pointing out that a lot of the wealthy have been good money managers and passed it on and it has grown over the generations. I see nothing wrong with this. Why should someone come in an feel they should have a portion of someones wealth just because they have more.If we went to them and said we are going to take over half of this minimum wage that you make to support people who don't work think how you would feel Not a great incentive to work hard. It is very upsetting to me that not only will I be taxed like crazy most of my life when I pass on the government will double tax me by taking around 40% of what I have worked hard to get, when it passes to my heirs. I am looking at trusts to pass it on and avoid the double tax.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast