I get more brilliant with age!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I get more brilliant with age!

Truly....

I've been having trouble tracking my deposits. not that i don't know how much but how much I receive from each family, what is transfer from dh account. blah blah....

I had an epiphany!

I use a small calendar to keep track of how much needs to stay in dh account after each pay, he gets paid weekly, some payments are biweekly, others monthly. It was getting confusing to keep it straight. It was easy before, he got paid the day before the mortgage. Just left 1/2 of monthlies each check. The weekly thing messed with me. So I keep a little calendar, it has the totals of what needs to be left in the account each pay to cover these bills. Anything over that, is transferred out, leaving a small cushion for bank fees, etc.

So I thought... in that SAME calendar, I can write down who paid me what. I have 2.5 full timers and 3 drop ins. the drop ins are the ones that I lose track of. So now I have it! It'll be in that little calendar. Which days who came. And then at the top the breakdown of who paid what.

ALSO.... see told ya, more brilliant with age.

I have things that get paid monthly, kids bus passes, dance classes, etc. Things that they are never in a hurry to deposit. SO. I have a "freedom" account set up. This is where I make deposits for those 1 or 2 time a year payments. It is a checking account as well, same interest as the savings, and no fee. SO I am writing all my checks out today for the bus passes and dance. The money is in there for the next few months, plus all the extra, so if I forget a transfer no big deal, it's covered. It'll be far less tracking for me than in my working account from where I use my debit card. that one goes to zero balance monthly, as I transfer what's left on the 1st to my snowball payment. And since the checks are written out NOW. I don't need to worry about the kids asking the last minute as they are going out the door. I can send for the girls, the school is set up, but for the boy, I'll have to put them in a designated spot and he can take it that day. Not a big deal for the girls, but ds school won't give him a pass until the day the check comes, and they won't accept a post dated for every month...so we end up paying cash for transit a day or two.

See, didn't I tell ya? More brilliant with age. So wise at 35..lol
    Mom to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom
    • FFEF 2/6months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool beans!! Now you've got it covered!! Great work!
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great Work! I've used a calendar that same way for a few years now, I find it's been the easiest way to keep track of everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I also use

a calendar to keep track of "who's on first"

Good job!