The "Dave Ramsey" plan by Citibank
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default The "Dave Ramsey" plan by Citibank

Citibank just sent me an offer I don't think I can refuse.
    I have been severely underemployed and have just now been able to work on replenishing my baby EF. That should be done in the first week of December.
    I have been paying minimum payments while I wait to get my unemployment etc. so my credit hasn't been hit.
    Citibank sent me this offer...and I don't really see any downside to it. If you do, let me know...

If I join the program,
    They will turn off "the ability to charge credit" to my account.
    I must make my minimum payment.
    I must make more than the minimum payment for the next four months.
    For all payments above minimum they will create a credit equal to 20% of that amount.
    That credit will be applied to my account within three billing cycles of the end of the four months.
    Statement credit will be limited to no more than $550.
    After the application of the statement credit, my credit limit will be lowered by the amount of extra payments and statement credit and then I can charge again, (If I want...)

I swear this is a Dave Ramsey plan with a sweetener. I know that I will have to carry a balance of a little more than my expected statement credit to take full advantage of it, but since they were the first in my snowball plan, I don't see what the downside is...
    Unless I have to pay tax on the Statement Credit and I think I would live with that...
    Last edited by kita; 11-21-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They're desperate to reduce their outstanding debt. I don't see a downside here except that lowering your credit limit would affect your credit rating.

No, I stand corrected - I still don't see a downside here. This *IS* a DR plan!
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I guess my big question is, if you DON'T make your minimum payment and more the first four months, what happens? I had heard that Citibank, specifically, was raising its interest rates on cc's, so I would read the fine print to make sure this isn't just another ploy to get you to fail, then hike your interest rate up to 30%.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds like a pretty sweat deal to me, especially coming from a credit card company. I'd probably be all over it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sure, why not.

Pay them off, use their money, CLOSE THE ACCOUNT.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't called yet about setting it up, but the fine print says you must make the minimum payment. I didn't think about getting a default rate. I'll ask about that. And it doesn't say anything about the rate staying the same. I guess since I am paying it off completely, if they jack my rate, it is okay...after the plan time. I will ask though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with madhen .. what happens if you DONT make the payment .. get all the details and read all the small print, if it still sounds good go for it
    Wendy

Goals:
    1. BEF COMPLETE
    2. Debt OWE $4374.81 / $6026.38 ($1651.57 less than where we started!!)
    3. FFEF $1000.00 / $10,000.00
    (Murphy has visited us)

Challenges:
    1. 2012 Fling: 501 / 2012

Working towards Romans 13:8

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wow

WOW, I just got my citbank statement. My interest rates are going up...from 8.99% to Prime Plus 9.99% OR 15.99% whichever is greater.
    I can opt out of the increase by agreeing when my card exp date is reached that my account will be closed. One way or another, I don't think I will be a Citibank customer in six months or so...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like Citibank wants to break up with you. You'll get over the hurt eventually

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I guess my big question is, if you DON'T make your minimum payment and more the first four months, what happens? I had heard that Citibank, specifically, was raising its interest rates on cc's, so I would read the fine print to make sure this isn't just another ploy to get you to fail, then hike your interest rate up to 30%.
    What she said.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies