Putting teen on auto ins ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ansley~ sounds like it is all working out! Yeah!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior View Post
    I do agree its the parents call. My kids have adhd/ADD and I feel they needed extra time but thats us. As far as buying my own car. It was the only way i would get one ,my father never worried about kids wishes,wants only bare basics. 1970 Granada was a classic. I owned a 1964 catalina and it would hold 10 of us.
    This is all such a hard call. Cars are serious business but I always say to my kids "If you can't behave,I can aways change my mind." It's important to foster them into the world instead of protect them from all danger but it sure is hard on a mom, isn't it. Not to mention EXPENSIVE!!!
    You had a tank too! Mine was 18 years old (as was I) when I recieved it.

I like that " If you can't behave I can always change my mind!"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually, that was my second car.My BF now DH got that to get rid of my race car. I started out w/ an AMX which was a Javelin by AMC that had a rear spoiler. It had a 401 engine, desert air conditioning, a 4 barrel holly carb, a reverse hemi w/ a trans rebuilt from my friend trans am. And it went vroom w/ its dual exhaust. My dad hated it. He said it was a pig. We fixed it up a little. He wanted to drive it. He used to cruise Gratiot. I cruised Woodward w/ it when cruising wasn't crawling in a parade. I raced boys in fast cars on the highway and won. We were fools and had fun. I changed my own oil and loved that beast. If 50 people lined up you'd pick me last to have it. if my kids bought it I'd have it towed. Being a parent sucks at times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Neeley View Post
    Our DD turned 16 in May. She got her license and a car on her birthday. She took Driver's Ed and is a straight A student so we get a discount for both. Our insurance went up $400 a year. We were paying $1000/year and now it's $1400 a year. It didn't go up as bad as I thought it would. Now, in two years when DS gets his own car and license, I fully expect it to go way up since boys are more expensive to insure than girls.

She has had a paying job since she was 14. We are not making her pay all of the insurance, just a small percentage. She does have to pay for her gas.
    I don't know what state you live in; but the boys are more expensive is not true in MI anymore and hasn't been for awhile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ansley View Post
    He is taking drivers Ed and has a 3.? adv so he gets both those discounts.

All the school kids are trying to get jobs and most of the adults are looking for pt second jobs. So if you get a job you don't get many hrs. No public trans and no bike racks or whatever those things are called to lock a bike.

Our state farm agent said that when ds was old enough to drive he had to go on the ins and he has to go on the newest most expensive auto (dh's truck) or our ins could be cancelled. I got a quote from gieco with him on my auto (paid for beater) and it was much lower.

My understanding is that he can only have a permit at 15 unless he gets a hardship license. We do qualify for the hardship license but don't plan to do that.
    Where do you live about the putting ds on the most expensive vehicle. My State Farm agent purposely put my ds on my dh truck so his ins would be cheaper. Other insurance companies that we have dealt with told us the same thing. See if you can call another State Farm agent (not telling them that you have state farm so no conflict of interest) and ask them the same question and see if you get the same answer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In NC the average teen insurance will run close to $1000 every 6 months.
    My daughter was 17 before she decided to get her license...and she worked her entire senior year and paid her own insurance...as a single parent, there was no way I could cover that.
    Now I have another daughter that just turned 16...I'm so glad she's just like her sis and not interested in driving all that much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    I don't know what state you live in; but the boys are more expensive is not true in MI anymore and hasn't been for awhile.
    DH is a supervisor in the finance department for the larget insurance comany in or state. They do cost more to insure here. With us having a son who will soon be driving, we have extensively researched it, not only with the company he works for, but for other companies that do business in our state.
    Last edited by Neeley; 07-05-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    DD (20)
    DS (17)
    DH (over the hill - the big 4-0)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior View Post
    I do agree its the parents call. My kids have adhd/ADD and I feel they needed extra time but thats us. As far as buying my own car. It was the only way i would get one ,my father never worried about kids wishes,wants only bare basics. 1970 Granada was a classic. I owned a 1964 catalina and it would hold 10 of us.
    This is all such a hard call. Cars are serious business but I always say to my kids "If you can't behave,I can aways change my mind." It's important to foster them into the world instead of protect them from all danger but it sure is hard on a mom, isn't it. Not to mention EXPENSIVE!!!
    I have 3 sons; 2 who have adhd and you are sooo right about having them wait. Heavy, heavy foot and we live in a small city not a good thing. My 2nd son did not get his license until he was 18 because he got into an accident with the first one; still didn't matter. Thank God my 3rd one had more sense. It made it very difficult in the insurance dept. I'm sooooooo glad they are all adults and have to deal with it all on their own. Teenagers think they are invincible and a car is like a weapon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    Why are some saying her son should wait to drive? Didn't most of you drive at 16????
    Nope! I got my learner's permit when I was 19 and 2 months, and my license about 2 months after that. I learned to drive and got licensed in the summer between graduating from HS and starting college. I didn't need to drive before that.

And I called 4 or 5 different insurance companies to get quotes for my insurance.

At the moment, we use an independent agent to shop insurance for us for both our auto and our home owners. When we were renting, it was cheapest to get our renter's insurance and auto from the same company, but now we get a better deal by going through two different companies.
    Last edited by littleplum; 07-07-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by littleplum View Post
    Nope! I got my learner's permit when I was 19 and 2 months, and my license about 2 months after that. I learned to drive and got licensed in the summer between graduating from HS and starting college. I didn't need to drive before that.

And I called 4 or 5 different insurance companies to get quotes for my insurance.

At the moment, we use an independent agent to shop insurance for us for both our auto and our home owners. When we were renting, it was cheapest to get our renter's insurance and auto from the same company, but now we get a better deal by going through two different companies.
    I can beat your age to get a driver’s license. I was a little over 24. I didn't need to drive in collage, everything was in walking distance but I would have loved to drive when I was in HS. The closest store was about 10 miles away, my best friend about the same and we were not allowed to walk. I had to beg plead and make deals with my older sis if I wanted to go anywhere or do anything. That was hard because we don't get along well at all.
    Last edited by ansley; 07-07-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ansley...yes I agree. My 16 yr old just started his job...and I KNOW he won't make much money...so he will just be 'supplimenting' the insurance cost. If I took it all...he wouldn't want to work~! LOL!

PLUS I'm making him put money in his savings account too.

Frugalwarrior...gosh those were the days, eh?
    Last edited by CrazyCat; 07-07-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ansley View Post
    I can beat your age to get a driverís license. I was a little over 24. I didn't need to drive in collage, everything was in walking distance but I would have loved to drive when I was in HS. The closest store was about 10 miles away, my best friend about the same and we were not allowed to walk. I had to beg plead and make deals with my older sis if I wanted to go anywhere or do anything. That was hard because we don't get along well at all.
    I wasn't aware it was a contest, but sure, you win.

or maybe my grandmother wins? She's 75 and still doesn't have a license.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I started driving, we had to take driver's ed. If we passed this, we got a certificate. This certificate was good for a reduction in insurance premiums. It was the most boring class and I didn't pass. So I had to pay for my insurance (to my parents) from my babysitting money until I got my own car. Then it was all my job to take care of me and mine.

In SC, a child can drive at age 15. This is kind of scary to see someone not large enough to look over the dash, coming down the other side of the street. In PA, when I was young, you could have your permit for 3 months before your 16th birthday. Then you could take the test at age 16.

Good luck with this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHomemaker View Post
    This is kind of scary to see someone not large enough to look over the dash, coming down the other side of the street.
    You can see that in Florida, too. Only it's near the retirement communities.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234