Frugal Village Forums banner

I changed my mind -Spending cash is more painful than debit cards.

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Cricketlegs 
#1 ·
I had always thought there was no difference between spending cash and paying with debit card. But I have changed my mind. Seeing the dollars leave my wallet was more painful and real than if I had paid with the debt card.

Instead of swiping the card (debit) I used the debit card to take money out at the ATM.

Then went to Aldi's, Rummage sale, and Wal-mart. $6 bucks left. I panicked where did it go? Did I lose some? Added all the tickets up and it was all accounted for.

Yes, I have changed my mind. Even though, it would have been the same amount of $ from the the same account, cash felt more real than debit. Ouch.

Reactions: militlady
#4 ·
I hope I don't get use to it. I think it was neat that it felt different than using the Debit card. I really didn't think it would feel different.

#3 ·
I am totally the opposite. I give almost no thought to spending cash, but hate spending when I use plastic. In my mind, the cash is already gone when I take it out so it doesn't matter what I do with it, whereas using credit or debit negatively affects my bank balance - and I don't like seeing my balance drop.

#5 ·
That is the way I use to feel/think. Plastic was harder cause I had to sign my name. This time it was different.

#6 · (Edited)
It's ALL painful to me. We're getting older,my DH is handicapped,he works so many hours and there is always more added to the pile. I thought by now I'd be working,DD and DS would be working, our savings would be stable, my DD would have a license, DS would have a license,DH would be able to cut back hours, Some of our sweet yet overly abundant pets would be gone. I WAS WRONG. on all counts. Not thru lack of planning or reckless behavior. JUST LIFE.
At least when your using cash your financial obligation is over. LESS STRESS??
Plus no stupid ATM fees. Checks to buy.Stamps. ENvelopes. and such. rant off.

#7 ·
after getting audited by the IRS last month. i leave a debit card or cancelled check trail for everything. this lady will not do cash.

#8 ·
This definitely has merit.

I spend less if I use cash.

Need a balance here.

#9 ·
I always use to use my debit card. No more. Now I use cash and know what I have left and what I have spent. It is right there in front of my face and I prefer it that way now. :)

#11 ·
Yup I hang onto cash more. My Dad always said that spending cash is a great way to save cash...cause you don't want that cash to leave your hands so you don't spend...LOL

I don't like parting with my cash at all. Swiping that debit card or credit card is easier....but since I hardly use CC for anything, cash has to leave my hand...and they have to wrench it from my tight fist!!!! LOL

#12 ·
I am not good at accounting for cash. When I use the debit card, I balance my accounts at least every other day and track every penny in Quicken, so I not only have a virtual record of how much I spent on essentials like room, board and utilities but I must be honest with myself on the splurge categories like crafts and other hobbies.

When I pay cash, I tend to lose my receipts or throw them away (so as not to remind myself of the $$$ I spent at the craft store). I know I could set up a cash account in Quicken and log the cash expenditures, but I don't. The debit card keeps me more honest with myself.

#13 ·
I guess everyone is different. I love my debit card and never have much cash on hand. I like to just look on line to see where the money went and it's just easier for me to keep track of how much we are spending. I find using cash is harder to track, but that is just me. :)

#14 ·
I think for me, cash would help me cut down on spending. If I set aside $200 for groceries in cash, I'll only spend that much or less. If I'm paying with debit card, I feel if I go over, it's okay. My dh on the other hand can spend cash like no other! If I give him $20, it's gone in minutes because he doesn't have to tell me what he spent it on. If he's spending out of the checking account, I get the receipts and see it.

Whatever works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.