"Thanksgiving Expenses" or "How my Nov. budget went down the drain"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Arrow "Thanksgiving Expenses" or "How my Nov. budget went down the drain"

So this month we're going over our budget for food costs.

It's not the end of the world, because I had tentatively set aside an extra $200 for food for Thanksgiving. However, it wasn't in the original November budget, it was a last minute adaptation.

The money is coming from our car payment snowball (the only debt we have other than mortgage). So instead of paying an extra $1300 this month to the car payment, we are paying only $1100. We have $10,000 left to go (purchased the vehicle new about a year ago) and plan to have it paid off by March, when Baby Q arrives.

Part of me feels bad about it, but another part says it's okay. My question is, when do I know that a budget change is justifiable?

The reason we're upping our budget is because we'll be having single Marines over for Thanksgiving. We'll of course be watching football and the like, but my husband and I are providing all the food and drinks. Some of them have just gotten back from Afghanistan and others don't have the time to visit family. None have anywhere to cook food. So instead of feeding about four people, I'm looking at 10-15.

It's not a typical situation, I know. It got me thinking, however, about when a budget change is justified.

Any advice or opinions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think what you are doing is not only completely justifiable but wonderful! The value of this Thanksgiving dinner you are giving to those who may not have had one otherwise is much, much more than the money you will be spending on it. It's priceless.

God bless you and your husband. Your generosity and kindness brought a tear to my eye.
    Wife to Kenneth
    Mom to Joey, age 17
    Mom to Kendra, age 9

Money is 80% behavior, 20% head knowledge. It's what you do, not what you know. - Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All your guests will be SO happy for a home cooked meal in happy surroundings. I think pulling $200 for this is a VERY worthwhile thing!
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When the two of you agree upon it and when you can still make a substantial debt payment.

Not thrilled that you have 10k left on a car payment - suggests you bought a new car for what, 20k? and financed it - but if you can pay it off in a year... ok. But don't do it again - you can't afford to throw that kind of money away driving it off the lot.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are doing such a terrific thing! That is great use of your $200.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the cost is justified, I mean you just doubled or tripled the number of people you are feeding. And skipping the car payment to feed US soldiers is a one-time thing.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I think the cost is justified, I mean you just doubled or tripled the number of people you are feeding. And skipping the car payment to feed US soldiers is a one-time thing.
    To clarify, she's not skipping the payment at all. She is generally paying 1300$ a month, excess to principal, this month she is only paying 1100$, excess to principal.

I think it's fabulous and justifiable. You aren't skipping a payment, you aren't going further into debt to do this, and you are helping making some lonely Marines ahve a happy holiday.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you are doing a great thing but it can be done cheaper than $200

I hope you found one of the many 39 cent a lb turkeys fill them up on meat and potatoes men like lots of mashed potatoes make way more than you think you need

you will want pie but how about a TEXAS sheet cake easy cheap and they seem to love that Chocolate. you can make a couple or freeze the leftover buttermilk for next time you want to make it.

ice tea is cheap I know they will want beer but....

snacks chips are expensive so find other cheaper snacks popcorn is cheap try some seasoned ones.

If anyone asks if they can bring something let them bring drinks or chips.

Have FUN!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some times money is not important this is one of those times enjoy your holiday and its great what you are doing. I bet anything the Lord blesses you ten times over for what you are doing
    Married to Manny 25 years
    Self-employed with our own property management business E3 property solutions
    4 kids Rob Tom Jen Manny jr

2 great inlaws Kelly and Jason

a big bernese mt dog and a fluffy pomerian Loki and Foxy my fur babies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    When the two of you agree upon it and when you can still make a substantial debt payment.

Not thrilled that you have 10k left on a car payment - suggests you bought a new car for what, 20k? and financed it - but if you can pay it off in a year... ok. But don't do it again - you can't afford to throw that kind of money away driving it off the lot.

Bought a new car for $28,000 - yes, I know! Put a down payment of $8,000 on it and financed the rest. No, we didn't NEED the car but we learned our lesson. Plus, paying it off in a bit over a year, I'm not too upset about it. I am very happy with the car. Free oil changes for life as long as we're here and it works out with Baby Q on the way.

In the future, once this is paid off (and we really won't need to purchase a car for a LONG time) we'll start a new vehicle fund. Eventually we'll need to replace the truck, but that's easily 5-7 years down the road.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    To clarify, she's not skipping the payment at all. She is generally paying 1300$ a month, excess to principal, this month she is only paying 1100$, excess to principal.

I think it's fabulous and justifiable. You aren't skipping a payment, you aren't going further into debt to do this, and you are helping making some lonely Marines ahve a happy holiday.

Yes, like she stated, I am not skipping the payment. I wouldn't EVER skip a payment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
    you are doing a great thing but it can be done cheaper than $200

I hope you found one of the many 39 cent a lb turkeys fill them up on meat and potatoes men like lots of mashed potatoes make way more than you think you need

you will want pie but how about a TEXAS sheet cake easy cheap and they seem to love that Chocolate. you can make a couple or freeze the leftover buttermilk for next time you want to make it.

ice tea is cheap I know they will want beer but....

snacks chips are expensive so find other cheaper snacks popcorn is cheap try some seasoned ones.

If anyone asks if they can bring something let them bring drinks or chips.

Have FUN!

I know it could be done for less than $200, and the food costs won't exactly be $200. But I had to purchase a few extras (another crock pot, an extra table cloth, more serving spoons, etc). I am hoping to come in at under $200, that's just what I had set aside.

Our menu is looking like this:

Paleo
    Turkey
    Ham
    Sweet potato casserole
    Cranberries
    Zucchini
    Mashed parsnips
    Sweet potato and apple pie
    Bacon log (bacon explosion)

Non-paleo
    Mashed potatoes
    Cheesy potatoes
    Green bean casserole
    Stuffing
    Rice Krispie Bars
    Pigs in a blanket

My husband and I (although being pregnant, this is modified a bit) eat a Paleo diet. Which in layman's terms is the diet of a caveman. No grains, no legumes, no sugars, no dairy. Two of his friends who will be here eat Paleo diets as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SixxOfDiamonds View Post
    Bought a new car for $28,000 - yes, I know! Put a down payment of $8,000 on it and financed the rest. No, we didn't NEED the car but we learned our lesson. Plus, paying it off in a bit over a year, I'm not too upset about it. I am very happy with the car. Free oil changes for life as long as we're here and it works out with Baby Q on the way.

In the future, once this is paid off (and we really won't need to purchase a car for a LONG time) we'll start a new vehicle fund. Eventually we'll need to replace the truck, but that's easily 5-7 years down the road.
    Hey, you're 2 cars up on me. Took me 3 new cars before I realized just how stupid I was being.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is wonderful what you are doing and the service men will appreciate it. God Bless you both.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it is wonderful - some things are just more important than a debt snowball. This is one of them! You will make some lonely people very happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast