Pretty upset with myself. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And I ALWAYS hate that time when you start a new job but haven't gotten a paycheck. It is an awkward time. Once he is at work he can ask around about good options for the drycleaning and new pants. Somebody there might be a frugalite.
    Go West Young(ish) (Wo)Man,
    Let your troubles stay east.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's easy for me to go over budget shopping at Aldis. I went 20 bucks over last week, still will use it but I could have used that twenty better spent on a bill or something...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is there stuff you can still return? A pita, I know, but you'd probably feel a lot better. This is still fixable.

I used to do the calculator thing, but switched to just keeping a rough running total in my head. I round everything up, so I'm not close to the penny, but I never go over by accident. And it feels good to leave the store with change.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wonder if you couldn't return some of the things you bought?

I know that terrible sinking feeling when you know you have gone way over budget, it sucks. But at this point you have only two things you can do about it.
    1. return some things to recover a portion of your loss
    2. Forget about it, it's over.

hugs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnW819 View Post
    I was just throwing stuff in the cart. Razor for DH, conditioner for me, and guess how much the bill was...$140 bucks!!!!)

have you tried shopping with a calculator to keep a running total? it works.

it's what I do.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try, try again...it's a learning experience, you'll find what does (and doesn't) work for you as you continue on. Ya gotta just keep at it and 'tweak' as you go....you can do ti! And you're right, getting an EF in place will mak4e ALL the difference.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $141946.74 Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2376.73

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnW819 View Post
    I am failing miserably at a budget these past two weeks!!!

Wayne and I paid $400 on the car today, and gave dads some money we owed him, and I had $70 buddgeted for groceries (2 weeks) and I totally failed on the groceries. I was just throwing stuff in the cart. Razor for DH, conditioner for me, and guess how much the bill was...$140 bucks!!!

I let myself go $70 over budget. I think now I should of told her to stop ringing it up...

DH said he is upset about it to, but I go above and beyond about being upset about it...but I am totally bothered by it.

I just wish one week I really stink to my budget totally ya know?

I really need to get an EF for those things that keep coming up every week that we did not budget for that are 'emergencies'...like this week. DH needed dress shoes for work (they said yesterday his are not approved), and 2 pair of black dress pants for work (which IMO that is an emergency because he needs those things to start work tonight...we thought they provided wardrobe but nope...) That $60 was totally not budgeted for.

I just can't even save for my EF because I am trying to catch up on bills! But now that DH starts his job (tonight!) hopefully soon!!!
    you may not be budgeting enough $$ into your grocery/house fund. But I would also try to figure out what else you could use instead of "whatever" ie... cheap conditioner for shaving cream etc. I would also do cash (at least until you get a complete handle on it). Make a menu (using some of the stuff you DO HAVE on hand) & even if you only put $5 into an eme "acct" at least that's $5 you didn't have b4. Baby step it & you will find yourself seriously wanting to contribute & challenging yourself to do more.

I would also look to see what you could "barter" w/friends, neighbors, etc. Instead of buying a lawn mower, could you co-own 1 w/a neighbor? Instead of owning a tiling tool, could you co-own w/your dad/brother/sister, etc? Remember it's a lot easier to keep things in order if you get organized... have a meal plan & follow as good as you can but also make allowances for those nights you eat somewhere else (friend or relatives house etc). This will also help you eat left overs... that's all I can think of right now...
    Waiting is teaching me to lean on Jesus that much harder!!!
    Married 8 years to the man of my dreams!
    Adopting a baby... due July 27, 2014!!
    ME DH Austin Baby Eli

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Calculator is a must! I have been using one for a few years. I have only gone over budget once and that was the time I forgot the calculator. Make a monthly menu, make a list, and have a calculator. When I first got married our weekly grocery bill was 250 for 2 of us! Now as a family of 3 we spend 280 a month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Every single time I go shopping, I bring the list and I add up the totals as I am going along. If I get above my $250, I look at what I really don't need. I got into the habit for a while of just throwing things into the cart without thinking about it. That ended up costing more than double of what I had budgeted. I stick to the list and I don't defer... at all. I found that if I didn't, I was in the same situation you're in now.

I still spend over the grocery budget, but that's only if I need things throughout the week. If I get into that habit more than a couple of months at a time, I revise the meal plan and make it more realistic. I try to get creative too in that if I didn't plan on making the meal, I simply pull from my mini-stockpile to make it possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel for you! It's really easy to pick up "a few more things" and end up way over budget. I'm a fan of the cash method. I have also committed to only planned spending. If it's not on the list, it doesn't get in the cart. There are few things we cannot live without for a few days until we decide we need them enough to go over budget. Sometimes it's fun finding alternatives.
    I wonder if your budget is too tight? If we set unrealistic limits, we set ourselves up for difficulty. It could be 1 of either impulse/unnecessary spending or too-strict budgeting causing the problem.
    As for work-related expenses, it sounds more like a short-term investment to buy necessary work attire. You'll get that money back with the first paycheck. This makes me think of "Your Money or Your Life". If you haven't read it, you may want to
    Good luck with your budget next pay period!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12