When does furniture stopping being a want and become a need
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question When does furniture stopping being a want and become a need

When does furniture stop being a want and become a need?

Does it change if you are working on debt reduction?

When does a need become more important than debt reduction?
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For me, it would be when the lack of the furniture seriously got in the way of my job/doing my work. If it's a stand for a large-screen TV, unless you're a TV critic, I would say it isn't a need, but a want.

Re the debt reduction, I don't know the answer. My take on it would be that even with radical debt reduction you need some sort of fund, not the emergency fund, for unplanned expenses that aren't emergencies. Maybe a rolling fund? You pay until some limit, say $500 is saved, then you can pull $250 out.

The way we're saving for our new appliances is like that. We put x amount away in the "appliance fund" every paycheck. If we HAVE to spend the money for something else we can. So far though, we've managed to save enough to get a new dishwasher, a kitchen sink/counter, and a "folding" table saw.

IHTH!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For us, it's been "Can we live comfortably without it"?

We went years (5+/-) with just a mattress on the floor. We could sleep on it. At that time we needed things more than we needed to sleep on a frame. When the opportunity came, we bought one.

Now, if that had been my daughters bed, we would have moved money around to make sure she had a proper bed.

Basically... if what we have is functional (even in an altered state) then it moves down on the list.

Our 'through-the-wall' A/C died. It is fall, it's low on the need list but come mid-spring if we haven't found a unit, it will move up on the list.
    I can't be out of money... I still have checks left!

Momma to the Diva
    Old Lady to the Old Man
    My Blog: http://frugaldomesticgoddess.wordpress.com

Making Yule
    Samantha x2 (1/2)
    Christopher x2
    Mom x2
    Larry x1
    Dave x1
    OldMan x5
    Diva x11 (1/11)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We lived with a mattress on the floor for years too. A bed frame became a "need" for me when we moved into a new duplex and one day right after we moved I saw a roach scurry across our bedding.

We started shopping for the cheapest bedframe we could find, and bought a plywood waterbed platform in a few weeks.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I guess that means the sofa ( and maybe the chairs) have moved from a want to a need. They have been limping all along for a few years now.

The dog doesn't even find it comfortable anymore.

I guess now I just have to figure out what is a greater need. The sofa or seeing the debt go down.

Recently we have learned how nice it is to have furniture that works well for you. We bought the mattress (a better one than we thought we would be able to get because of the surprise sale)

My mom has handed down a bed frame for Little Miss and a vanity that we are using as a computer desk ( instead of the card table). They work for us and look nice too

So we have learned that having future that functions well for you is great ( and if it looks nice it is a bonus)

Will have to think on th sofa and chairs. If they are more of a need then seeing the credit card go down.

Right now I'm going to put the blanket and reposition the board for the sofa and re duck tape the chairs.
    Last edited by imagine; 09-27-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sort of going through the same thing except I'm not paying down debt, I'm building my emergency fund.

My couch is more than 14 years old and it feels and shows it age. My son's bed frame is probably 30 years old and his furniture was my grandparents so that is at least 60 years old. It is all technically functional but its uncomfortable, hard to use and needs adjusting frequently.

next year when I expect to have a fully fund EF the first thing I'm going to buy, after saving for it, is new furniture.

For now I grin and bear it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you looked at Craig's List? If you don't have a truck, you might have to budget some money for a local U-haul. If you have strong friends you can often get hide-s-beds because no-one wants to move them.
    It isn't like shopping for new but should be better than boards in the sofa. I remember that as a child!
    Go West Young(ish) (Wo)Man,
    Let your troubles stay east.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

for me it was when safety was an issue- IE the cushioning was so worn on the arms that you could feel the wood- and with a toddler at the time he banged his head on it a few times i said that was it .
    it also had some rips etc i had resewn .

when i got new i watched for a deal - and i bought denim fabric covered so when it gets a rip ( like it has in one arm top right now from people sitting on the arm UGH ) i plan to just patch it with a peice of denim from jeans etc . i plan to patch it with one peice to close it and then put a large peice like a pocket to hold remotes .
    Last edited by Momto5RN; 09-27-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my only concern right now with used stuff is the bed big infestation issues in the country . can cost a ton of money and many months to get rid of them so make sure you check over any free or cheap furniture well .
    *~Debbi~*
    Living with FMS

Swedish Proverb

Paid off car 9000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We used hand me downs and garage sale junk for the first 10 years of our marriage. Our tv was on a microwave stand. Our dresser and a nightstand and desk were my DH's furniture. DD's dresser was my childhood dresser. Our "kitchen table was a card table w/ folding chairs.
    I bought the crib new for safety reasons. And did buy a queen bed but I just bought that metal frame. It's funny,life was happy,we were young.

Currently, All my furniture (oak) came from an auction. $2500. for about 15 pieces new from a closing furniture store. Try Estatesales.net or go online and look for auction circuits. Once you get in they will send you e-mails. Should be things going out of business in this economic times. I still do get some amazing pieces at G.sales too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my middle son has my brothers bedframe and headboad - my brother is 51.
    the dressers in the younger 2 boys room were my dh' sgreat aunts we got them when they died- they are from the 50s so 60 years old.

sometimes the older stuff last longer when it comes to

my bedroom headboard is my kids old jennie lind crib the 2 short ends put between the wall and my mattress.

i have a hand me down or yardsaled things mixed among some newer stuff in every room of my house i think. you really wouldnt know unless i pointed it out to you .
    *~Debbi~*
    Living with FMS

Swedish Proverb

Paid off car 9000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, the reason that we bought a waterbed platform? Our bed wasn't a bed, but mattress toppers in a bed sack. This although not the bargain it used to be, may still be cheaper than a new bed. The attractions for us were:

1) We could get a CA king size, DH is 6'1.5" tall and a regular double bed is NOT long enough..a regular king he ends up on diagonally, and that means I (< 5') get a corner. So we were looking for a way to afford a CA king, and that's what we came up with. The mattress toppers were (30 years ago) about $20 a piece, a mattress was more, esp. with a frame. We could "make do" with two mattress toppers and when we could we bought a 3rd. We mixed the firmness (they come in soft, medium, and hard...or did).

2) When one got soft or needed to be replaced, we could afford the $20 to get a new piece for our "mattress" and thusly get a "new" mattress.

The mattress toppers and bedsack with the waterbed platform lasted us about 10 years. Then we got a new credit card and got seduced to the dark side. We MAY still be paying for our 2nd bed!

Ours were sort of like this:
    2" Thick Firm Support Foam Topper

Polyurethane foam toppers are so versatile and easy to fit.

• use over two twin beds to make a king
    • cushion the floor or bed of your vehicle
    • increase the comfort of a cot or thin mattress
    • add extra support and softness under a sleeping bag

Toppers are available in varying levels of thickness in standard mattress sizes. Can be trimmed to fit with a serrated blade, electric knife or scissors. Spot clean. USA.

(from JC Penney's site)
    Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto5RN View Post
    sometimes the older stuff last longer when it comes to

i have a hand me down or yardsaled things mixed among some newer stuff in every room of my house i think. you really wouldnt know unless i pointed it out to you .
    I think you are right about the older stuff lasting especially the wood stuff. We have some hand me downs from the '30, '40 '50, '60 might even have one from the '20

We have them matched with new things too. My son has my father's childhood desk and dresser (the bed was a full and so it is in our room) and we bought son a new twin bed. You would never know that it was not bought as a complete set.

Little Miss's dresser and nightstand where mine as a child and before that they were from my mother's grandfather's house.

All our rooms are like this

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It has been my experience that low end couches work just fine if you plan to use it less than 5-6 years. If you are overweight, it might last a shorter period of time. If you have a dog, do not pick anything with a little pile to the fabric. The dog's claws will cause runs and piles. I would stay clear of the upholstered recycled stuff for a while. As said earlier, an infestation will cost more to fix than buying a new low end couch.

Recycled wooden furniture is superior to a lot of the new stuff being sold, especially anything you have to assemble. Taking out the screws on a rickety piece and sticking in toothpicks or match sticks, a little wood glue and reassemblying the piece can fix a lot of the problem. A coat of paint will dress up something ugly. If you want to stain something painted, stripping it is necessary.

Sitting on the floor is stylish if you choose an asian theme for the room. A piece of plywood cut to fit the inside of your couch and placed under the cushions can give you another year or two with a couch with worn out springs. If you have sewing skills, you can take the covers off your cushions, turn inside out and trace onto newspaper. Add a seam allowance. Lay on fabric of your choice, pin and cut out. Sew the seams together. Add a zipper. Trim the corners and poke them out with a crochet hook or your finger. A measuring tape will help you lay out the couch covering. You can always purchase a slip cover but it has been my experience that they covers you have to pin down, never stay put.

If you bed is giving you a backache, a purchase is required. Be aware that an overweight person laying on a bed will wear it out quicker, even with an expensive mattress. Turn the mattress at least every other month and it will wear better.

If you are feeling the need for a splurge due to peer pressure or a feeling of entitlement due to your hard work, consider
    Last edited by miss_cas; 09-27-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by miss_cas View Post
    A piece of plywood cut to fit the inside of your couch and placed under the cushions can give you another year or two with a couch with worn out springs. If you have sewing skills, you can take the covers off your cushions, turn inside out and trace onto newspaper. Add a seam allowance. Lay on fabric of your choice, pin and cut out. Sew the seams together. Add a zipper. Trim the corners and poke them out with a crochet hook or your finger. A measuring tape will help you lay out the couch covering. You can always purchase a slip cover but it has been my experience that they covers you have to pin down, never stay put.
    We have had a board under the cushions because of broken springs for about 10 years now so I can vouch that the board works. Although our board is not plywood but a full couch sized board two inches think

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast