US Consumers brace for fast rising food prices - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The prices at our Walmart used to be reasonable but in the past few months I've seen prices rise 2 weeks ago all the Great Value sugar was gone cleaned right out and I am noticing that certain products are gone . If it was not for coupons my grocery bill would be too high to pay .Thank you to the op for posting this good to have a heads up and direction to head in I need some more flour , coffee and sugar!!
    We are cancer free but dealing with lung issues
    (Life is fragile handle with prayer)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugal is fun View Post
    Isn't the cost of lunch meat crazy! I don't buy it often and am just astounded by how much it costs.

I'm very fortunate to have a good job with steady income. Just got notice that costs of health care are skyrocketing this year, Thank you President Obama.

Its so hard to just stay even or try to get ahead with the cost of everything going up.

My taxes went up on my mortgage, my health insurance is going up and I "think" I'm getting a 1.5% raise come January. My little raise, which I am VERY thankful for won't even come close to covering these increases.

As I said, I am very thankful for what I have, I know how to live within and under my means but holy cow, "they" do not make it easy.
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but thin sliced lunchmeat is $3.00 at Aldis near me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMama View Post
    Hi daylily,

not sure if I can post it here so will send it to you in a pm.

Blessings,

Angel
    Me too Happy Mama

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maxwell house coffee is 1/2 price at Meijer. Not sure how much it is or if you need it where you live.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy

It seems like everything is constantly going up in price and the packages, cans, and containers are getting smaller and smaller!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rival-1042W-Electric-Slicer-White/dp/B00006IV0X"]Amazon.com: Rival 1042W Electric Food Slicer, White: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416DD4D6XEL.@@AMEPARAM@@416DD4D6XEL[/ame]
    I have one of these to slice our homemade bread and roasts for sandwiches. Works great and it'll pay for itself soon with all the savings on deli meat plus you'll know your ingredients since you are the one who cooked the chicken, beef or pork. I've had mine for years and no problems at all. What's not to love, you buy the roast at $1.99 lb, season & cook have it for a meal then make the rest into thin slices for sandwiches. $1.99/lb sure sounds nicer than what the stores charges you.
    ~*Darlene*~
    Live Well~LaughOften~Love Much

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
    Leo Buscaglia

2013 Challenge
    Books Read: 67

Become a Fan of Frugalvillage on Facebook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
    I try to stay stocked up but it's a million little things. Lunch meat for lunches (still cheaper to pack), coffee (still cheaper than buying out) and the amazing shrinking size containers. We're lucky to live where hunting is possible. I don't know how city dwellers that can't have a garden do it.
    I did notice that our coffee shrank inside the can. My husband thought I was making it up, but because we had saved old cans for storage purposes, I was able to show him that our cans went from 26 ounces to 24.5 ounces. That's about a pot of coffee for the plum household!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    Amazon.com: Rival 1042W Electric Food Slicer, White: Kitchen & Dining
    I have one of these to slice our homemade bread and roasts for sandwiches. Works great and it'll pay for itself soon with all the savings on deli meat plus you'll know your ingredients since you are the one who cooked the chicken, beef or pork. I've had mine for years and no problems at all. What's not to love, you buy the roast at $1.99 lb, season & cook have it for a meal then make the rest into thin slices for sandwiches. $1.99/lb sure sounds nicer than what the stores charges you.
    Darlene,

I had one of these as well, paid for itself right away. When it finally broke I bought "a better one"...sigh it shaved off metal into my lunch meat. Well went right back to Walmart bought the "cheaper" as my friend put it, with a smile on my face and have loved it ever since!! Love , love , love my rival food slicer!
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought the usual 10 pound bag of potatoes to find out it was an 8 pound bag, they even made them smaller!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not good news, but good to know- thanks. I can't see how I can shop any cheaper, so i guess I will just have to brace for the grocery bill to go up...

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $143,239.43
    Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2066.45

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tricky... I hate feeling like I have been tricked by getting less for the same $$$.
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    Amazon.com: Rival 1042W Electric Food Slicer, White: Kitchen & Dining
    I am really gonna have to get one of those, along with a french fry cooker. The kids love their fries, but buying the potatoes and slicing them myself seems more gratifying. I at least know what's going into my french fries when I do that on my own.

I'd love to have one of those and slice up a huge ham in it, then freeze the slices and cook them separately. Wouldn't slicing a chicken that way be tricky, though?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I bought the usual 10 pound bag of potatoes to find out it was an 8 pound bag, they even made them smaller!
    Thanks for the warning..........it will be coming here soon, I am sure.

Most of the smaller sugar packages are ONLY 4 pounds now.........instead of five!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My utility just asked for 5% increase.........mainly nat. gas.

In January my sewer goes up close to 10%.......

Where does it end???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stocked up on soup at krogers and other essentials that we use in the winter was great sale!
    Loving Wife to Ken 29 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast