US Consumers brace for fast rising food prices
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default US Consumers brace for fast rising food prices

Dear Villagers,

Thought this article would be of interest ! As many here look at ways to budget, stay on course , and stay up to date on information that can help us make good financial decisions. I read this and thought of plans that I am doing that will combat this for me, new ideas I can come up with and would like to know what you all think. Whenever you get information like this it can be empowering , as knowledge is power.

Now is the time to get out your lists, see what you use the most, what you need to stock up on. Commodities are rising as I put in another post, sugar, cocoa, coffee, and flour to mention a few. The stores usually have those as loss leaders now, so stock up!

I will continue to stock up on staples, as I cook from scratch, stock up on sale items and cut out the grocery store as much as possible. I buy mainly in bulk, garden and have gone to produce auctions. How about you? Ideas or thoughts?

Here is the link:

U.S. consumers brace for fast rising food prices | Empowered News

US Consumers brace for fast rising food prices

American consumers are bracing for more price hikes of their grocery items, as beef, milk, coffee and sugar prices have all increased in the past few months, and food companies and fastfood chains like Kellog Co. and McDonald’s Corp. announced plans to pass along some of the added cost to customers.

Retailers have been reluctant to raise prices because consumers choose to be thrifty during the economic doldrums. Americans are more willing to forego spending on luxury brands and may switch stores or brands to get the best value.

Sara Lee Corp., General Mills Inc., and Kraft Foods Inc. have also announced some price hikes on their products. Coffee giant Starbucks said that it would implement increases on its larger and premium drinks, changing its earlier stance to freeze prices.

Supermarket chains Kroger and Safeway also said that will be passing additional costs to customers.

Retailers are being made to pay for costlier supply from outside vendors, which are dealing with burgeoning demand from emerging economies such as China and India.

Grain prices have skyrocketed, driving up the cost of steak, chicken, pasta and bread products. The increase has been exacerbated by droughts in Russia and floods in other parts of the world.

Overall inflation has lagged behind the escalation of food prices. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the consumer price index for all items other than energy and food climbed 0.8 percent through September, and the food index increased 1.4 percent. The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that overall food inflation for 2011 would be between 2 and 3 percent.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amen. Just got back from Kroger. I feel really worked over. No clearance meat/baked goods/disc. today. They've changed to Boars head deli meat at $8.99#plus and carry a very limited amt. of theirs. Then they upped their brand a buck a pound. Sales are now very specific not all of a certain line. Irratating.

Dollar General has great sales this week and takes coupons if you have one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Amen. Just got back from Kroger. I feel really worked over. No clearance meat/baked goods/disc. today. They've changed to Boars head deli meat at $8.99#plus and carry a very limited amt. of theirs. Then they upped their brand a buck a pound. Sales are now very specific not all of a certain line. Irratating.

Dollar General has great sales this week and takes coupons if you have one.
    I am the Mod of a coupon board and did the Kroger ad this week, I have lots of links to printables if you need.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Isn't the cost of lunch meat crazy! I don't buy it often and am just astounded by how much it costs.

I'm very fortunate to have a good job with steady income. Just got notice that costs of health care are skyrocketing this year, Thank you President Obama.

Its so hard to just stay even or try to get ahead with the cost of everything going up.

My taxes went up on my mortgage, my health insurance is going up and I "think" I'm getting a 1.5% raise come January. My little raise, which I am VERY thankful for won't even come close to covering these increases.

As I said, I am very thankful for what I have, I know how to live within and under my means but holy cow, "they" do not make it easy.
    Judy

never loose site of the big picture

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks I have a lot myself though. I just got things like milk,lunchmeat,fruit w/o coupons. I only spent about 60. but I can usually score something. Just paid tuition AND car ins. for 4 so I'm feeling gripey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh makes good money and we only have the mortgage payments now but 2 teens (well DD's 20) but the costs are highest now. WE have great health care but we seem to use it constantly too.
    I just didn't see the great fall sales this year and I looked.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you stock up on sugar, wheat berries, flour, pasta, cocoa, and green coffee beans ( for home roasting) , these can all be stored in 5 gallon food grade plastic ( make sure food grade only), or gallon glass jars. Just a thought.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Blah. I was complaining on another board just a few days ago that boneless/skinless chicken breast hasn't gone on sale at Publix ($1.99/lb) in a looong time. I'm actually very glad the new Save A Lot opened down the road. I can actually get milk under $3 a gallon there ($2.47 currently)!! Their canned veggies/beans are .30/can cheaper on average than Publix brand veggies/beans and they still have store bread/buns for .99, whereas Publix is usually $1.09-$1.19. I have a feeling I'll be seeing more of Save A Lot in 2011 for meat, dairy and canned goods. I'm glad I've gotten the hang of couponing this past year though...since it looks like I'll really be needing that skill next year

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is one excuse or another every year at this time to up food prices. Sugar going up, der! it's baking season... Like gas in the summer, etc...

I can't go any other way on my food bill, I go the cheapest possible as it is, so will just look for the cheapest priced item..

I'm hoping that one of these days the big corporations would get a bit of common sense (ha-ha!) and realize, if they make their item more affordable, they would actually sell more of it.. Many people have told me over the years "if that was cheaper I'd stock up on it", etc.. I know people that were dedicated to name brand and refused to go generic, well except on a few things, they have all gone generic and to the $ store, which they also said they never would do..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have also stocked up on flour during sales and store in freezer, same with butter and shredded cheese (or block cheese you have shredded and ziploced).

I have noticed rises in sugar already.
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would like the Kroger coupon link, please. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    I would like the Kroger coupon link, please. Thanks!
    Hi daylily,

not sure if I can post it here so will send it to you in a pm.

Blessings,

Angel
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to stay stocked up but it's a million little things. Lunch meat for lunches (still cheaper to pack), coffee (still cheaper than buying out) and the amazing shrinking size containers. We're lucky to live where hunting is possible. I don't know how city dwellers that can't have a garden do it.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pasta is on sale for .70 a box at Meijers this week. You can store this in 5 gallon buckets. I was paying .40 a box this time last year.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I paid 50 cents a pound for whole wheat pasta last month. The store was running a clearance on it, and I scooped up four 2 pound packages for 99 cents each.

I don't expect our beef prices to go up this year compared to last year, aside from regular inflation. Our farmer only uses corn to "finish" them. Grass is free this year like it was last year.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast