Frugal Village Forums banner

Weekly budget meetings...

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mndtrp 
#1 ·
DH and I have started doing weekly budget meetings, our second one was last night. We reviewed what was spend this week on food, gas, unplanned expenses etc, as well as what we each have leftover from our pocket money for the week that can roll forward into the next week. We get paid each Friday, we we decided that our "budget weeks" will run Fri-Thurs. We feel like this practice will go a long way towards keeping us both on the same page with the finances. We are keeping a budget binder as well, with a page for each week, and each month (for the monthly bills.) I am tracking whether we are over or under budget for each category/bill and also tracking total saving balance and debt balances.
Our "meeting" took only about 30 minutes and that including having DH log onto our online banking and pay the bills himself, since I usually do it and I think we should both know how. Also helps to make sure he is aware of what is coming in and going out.
How often do you discuss your budget with your family?

#2 ·
What a great practice for now and the rest of your lives - and how great that you both are on board!! Looking forward to reading more about your journey!!

Reactions: mama2James
#3 ·
Greebo and I started with weekly budget meetings and kept it going for quite a while. We eventually changed to biweekly meetings when we got a system that required few changes (you know the first few months may require lots of tweaking ;) ).

Last year we tried to make it monthly but it just didn't seem to flow as well. Meetings took a little longer, we were looking for current information on the sinking funds for clothing and realized we needed more frequent updates. We went back to biweekly updates but only feed the envelopes monthly.

You will find your groove. Congratulations! Keeping the payday budget meets really help keep us on track.

Reactions: mama2James
#6 ·
We do a monthly 'meeting' to review how the budget plays out- but we also have spur of the moments discussions on x,y,z we're working on, and we both know where the various $ notebooks are (house/1st job budget, private business budget notebook).

#7 ·
Just this month, we combined finances and budgets. I put all of our accounts, save her car loan, into Mint for tracking. Mint emails weekly summaries, as well as notifies when we go over budget on something. We have a binder where I put all of our bills, as well as monthly snapshots of our accounts for tracking. We currently plan to have monthly budget and account meetings, but that may change as we go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.