tell me about your credit union
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default tell me about your credit union

As you know mine went under after 30+ years.

Another credit union has taken over, BUT, we have to start all over with them as if we walked in off the street. The 30 + years does not count for anything now.

The other thing is they charge for everything! Before I had No fees on anything...

Do most credit unions charge fees now? There are a couple around here we can join but are wondering if we should hang out with our old one to see what happens. We would be starting over with these, but they dont seem to charge for everything, OR they havent started yet.

If I sign these papers I cannot close an accout for 90 days or they will charge me to close it.

How do you like your credit union, do you use it, are they charging now, any info is welcome.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been with our credit union for about 5 years.

I never felt like I needed "history" - they were friendly and easy to work with from the beginning.

Checking is free - no minimum balance, no limit (or requirement) for ATM transactions, direct deposit, etc. We do pay for checks. Online bill pay is free.

They have great rates on car loans. Mortgages/CD rates/HELOC not the greatest, but not terrible. Savings accounts don't pay hardly any interest - I know most places don't have great rates now, but the bigger banks pay more than my CU does.

ATM's are free if you stay within the network. They partnered with a lot of other local small CU's/Banks so the network covers most of where we go (I don't travel out of state or very far very often).

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been with mine since high school and never any fees or minimums. Interest rates everywhere are lousy right now, if you're saving.

There's enough banks and CUs out there you should have no trouble finding one that does not charge fees. And tell them why you are leaving.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine refused to let me withdraw more than $200 from my account when I was out of town and desperately needed to withdraw more than that. It wound up being very stressful. So after 11 years, I dropped the credit union and joined a bank near where I work. So far so good with the bank. The only fee I get is if I write more than 3 checks per month. Each additional check is 50. I use online billpay (no fees for any checks sent out thrthrough that) and can't even remember the last time I had to write out a check let alone three so I don't care about that fee. The customer service at the bank has been fantastic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been with my credit union for about 32 years. They don't charge fees for anything; free checking, free online bill pay, good loan rates. I have a mortgage, a car loan, and at one time a credit card through them. I love having everything right there - I can take care of all my business at the same time.

If I was in your position, I would look at another credit union and compare. And if I left I would tell them why.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My hubby has been at our CU for about 10 years+ now- we have a savings account there with a decent rate, and have used them for car loans in the past. Never had a checking account with them, can't say about the fees, but we have been pleased with them and our savings gets a decent rate (I think it's about 1.5%+, BUT that's only up to a few thousand $s, than it lowers...but I'll take it!).

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $141,279.52 Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2548.29

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Go to your other local credit unions and check out their fees. All credit unions are not created equal.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our credit union has different types of checking accounts. Ours is free since we have at least one direct deposit a month. Free bill pay, no limit on check or minimum balance. At DH's late place of employment they still did paper check so we had no direct deposit so it was a $4 a month fee, but everything else was the same.

DH banked with a large regional bank before we were married he thought their bad customer services and fees were normal. Then he switched to the CU with me and was amazed at the difference. I know every situation is different, but I love my CU!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would find a new credit union if I were you.

My credit union pays us 3.5% on our checking account, free ATM's, and has all the online bill pay and online statements that my larger bank had (who I closed a few months ago.) I have had them for a year and a half and they have been very helpful.

The customer service is BETTER! One of the reasons I dropped the bank is because I got REALLY sick of every time I'd make a deposit they would try to upsell me into a car loan or credit card. This really pissed me off.

The ONLY downfall is that there are less branches. So getting to the CU can be a little harder than the bank (which was right around the corner.)

They also give away popcorn on Friday, have internet available for me to use in the lobby, and a big screen TV. Free coffee and a public restroom. Tell me a bank where I can find that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like we are moving,

DS bought a truck this weekend and our credit union was 2% higher and 24 months shorter than another credit union that we dont even belong too.

Its just sad moving from a place you have had for so long, they use to watch our back, now I feel like they are sticking me in the back with a knife.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

While I have nothing bad to say about my actual credit union and their policies, I will say their customer service is lacking - majorly. Sometimes it was worse than my husband's larger bank. I didn't have fees.

We recently switched to a small, local bank and have been so much happier. We had a little snafu with our savings account at the end of the month and one call had it solved (a fee was charged when it shouldn't have been).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love, love my credit union. If you have a payroll deduction to a account than it is free. My kids have master/debit and savings accounts. I just payroll deduct 5.00 to keep it free. Also, if they buy a 99 cent hamburger and they have not money it won't go thru unlike some banks that will charge you 30.99 for that hamburger. I also financed 2 cars and got a loan to pay for my masters degree.