Where can I cut? - Page 42
Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3239404142434445 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Reading the latest issue of "Money Sense" a Canadian money magazine. It had articles on how to survive your Golden Years, and what to think about. Timely for us as they are almost upon us. In looking over the situation I realized I am better off than DH. I have a greater variety of investment vehicles than he does...all thanks to my small inheritance from Mom.

Having said that, we are dabblers. We don't have a lot of money in anything. We just have a bit here and a bit there. Time will tell if that's the right way to go about it.

My financial adviser phoned and wants a phone meeting before the end of summer, just to make sure we're on the right track. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with. I hear I'll be getting a package in the mail. In the meantime...I'm reading up a bit on the current financial situation/trends...

Also...gave away a large bag of fabric to a fashion designer wannabe...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thats cool Peanut...how often do you meet with your financial planner? We do a 15 minute phone call every 3 months...and meet in office every 6 months. I bet that up and coming designer was glad for the materials.
    House Paid off October 1st...and we are loving it!!!!
    Proud supporter of Blessings In A Backpack, Food Bank and SPCA
    CrossFit lover...and now also AquaFit

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, honestly Sophiasmom, not very often in person. But I'm usually phoning him every 6 months or so asking for some money for capital expense items. But the new way he switched around my investments, so I reap dividends monthly, means I don't phone him. He wants to keep a bit closer contact methinks.

And that's probably fine. I like to review my portfolio monthly on my own, but once a year is fine with him I figure. I'm not a person who buys and sells a lot. I'm a buy and hold type investor. Could be why I lost as much as I did a couple years ago. I wanted to sell at 10% down, but the financial planner said hold. My portfolio went down 35% before rebounding 25%. So overall I guess I didn't do too bad. Though I understand some people sell at 1-2% down.

I was looking at my RRSP the other day though. I track my annual contributions and value at the end of each year. I notice it hasn't kept up with 1.04% interest even. So my money would have been better off in a GIC. We will be stopping RRSP contributions as soon as DH retires and switching to GICs IF we have any money left to put into savings.

I figured out our income the first year DH retires (next fall). We're okay for 2013. But 2014 is going to be tough. No money for savings. Means no home renos. And we must have a boarder in the basement or we have to pull from our RRSPs to survive. DH and I would like to get rid of them first because they are performing so badly. Will chat with my financial planner about that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I have to tell you this funny thing. You all know how I've had such a struggle with DH and selling this house right? Well, I commented to him on Monday, while looking over figures, about maybe re-doing the reno in the basement (previous owners did it) to make a legal one bedroom suite to help finance retirement. And that we'd be able to afford to stay in the house then. Otherwise we may seriously have to move.

He says...get this..."It's your decision whether we move or not." HUH?! I reminded him of the last couple of times I tried to get us to move. He said "Well we had no place to go to!" To which I reminded him the plan was to go into an apartment short term and take our time finding and preparing a place to move into. He avoided the comment and insisted it was my decision whether we moved or not. I was incredulous and just laughed at him. Talk about a crazy maker!

Every now and then I have to remind myself why I married him...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Busy working in the sewing room still. Three quarters of the scrapbooking stuff is there now.

Someone came and picked up the second sewing machine. I'm down to one machine now. Frees up a lot of counter space in my sewing room.

I was able to get all the plastic storage units out of the room. I cut up the cardboard box the storage unit came in for dividers for some cloth baskets with stiff sides. I plopped them in on the diagonal, dumped my yarn in them and placed them across the top of my sewing unit. It's too high to reach without a stool/chair, but I'm not knitting this year anyways. If I want to knit something, I'll retrieve the appropriate basket and take it downstairs to work from.

Now to sell some plastic drawer units....
    Last edited by peanut; 07-27-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Worked more in my sewing room yesterday.

Gave away an old and battered makeshift TV stand.

Picked up another pantry storage unit, but smaller, for the sewing room. It was $20 off at $60. Found lidded ultrasuede cardboard boxes at London Drugs for $5 each. They are quite large and will fit on the shelves in the pantry unit and hold my spinning fibre.

That allowed me to get rid of a huge Rubbermaid tub from the room. I'll have to post it online as a give away. It has a cracked top.

Arranged to have a lady come pick up a makeshift home painted 3 drawer unit as well. She'll be by today.

I sat down and figured the room will cost me a total of $180 to redo.

I searched my closet and found some sheets I could use to remake the curtains. I think the current curtains make the room look too small. I want it to look big, light and airy. I think I'll check my curtain stash from years past and see if I have anything else that fits and looks good first. Why make work for myself?

I pulled out all 4 boxes and large garbage bag of scraps. I need to go through them and toss 1/3 to 1/2 of them. I am enlisting a friend's help to go through them next week and help me tidy them up.

I put the first coat of spray paint on the bulletin board. I don't want anything to darken the room. I've been eyeing the black frame for the mirror. I'm thinking of taping off the glass and painting the frame mint green too. I already have the paint in the basement, leftover from another project.

I am really enjoying this. And I think DH is enjoying seeing all the crappy furniture etc. leave the house. I've seriously needed to go through my projects for a long time now. This has afforded an excellent opportunity to do just that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The 3 drawer unit is gone. The Rubbermaid bin is gone. I have a bite on one of the plastic drawer units. They're picking it up tomorrow.

I put the second coat of paint on the bulletin board.

I couldn't find my old curtains, but I did find a couple of white sheets and cut them to size for new curtains.

Made a list of things to do yet to finish the sewing room.

In the process of this I talked to some friends and decided to sell my spinning wheel. It's a beautiful wheel, and works just fine. But it weighs over 15 lbs. and is labelled a portable. I'm not supposed to carry more than 10 lbs. So I'm opting to buy down to a lighter weight wheel. I've listed it online. It was a very expensive wheel, costing me almost $1200 when I first bought it. I'm letting it go for $950. That might be too little, but we'll see... The proprietor of the LYS suggested no more than about $200 less than what I paid myself. Spinning wheels are hot commodities here - especially used.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bulletin board is up.

Had a bite on the second plastic drawer unit. If the first two buyers fall through, there's someone in line who wants both of them.

Curtains are sewn and up. Having white curtains sure opens up the space and brightens it up!

Next up...tomorrow we put together the second pantry closet for the room.

If I have time I'll start in on sorting through the 4 boxes and garbage bag of scraps!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The second pantry unit is up and full. I've started in on cleaning off the cutting table. Moved my stamp collection and stuff related to church activities (tutoring ESL) up there too. It's full, but I have a ton of stuff to purge yet. This week's project is the scrap fabric.

DH looked at the room last evening and asked "So all we need is the right storage and the rest of the house could look like this?" Score! I said "Yes, if we de-clutter too." That's the big catch...letting go of stuff.

Right now I'm holding onto some things for the kids. They might have to go though. I just can't keep everything. I find I am ready to release a few things I inherited from Mom as well. She may have loved them, but I don't.

I'm off this week demonstrating rug hooking at the local Exhibition. So probably won't be online as much as usual. I'll see if I can drum up business. I'm not allowed to sell anything there, but I can exhibit and demonstrate. Still, I'll take lots of business cards and have people phone me for private viewings of my work at the house. Means I am in serious cleaning up mode here.

DH and I started work de-cluttering the dining room last evening. It moved into de-cluttering the living room. I have to get the library books back to the library soon. We have over 40 books out between us. Mostly reference for me.

Grocery shopping was painful today - $168 for one week of groceries. But I did buy beef for the month, at 30% off.

Looking at the medical/dental jar and we seem to have a surplus of money there. DH thought I should transfer any extras to food, as that is where we're short. Makes sense to me. Good food means less spent on medical/dental. So the grocery budget should benefit from that.

We've been able to put in excess of $1700 into our car and home repair account we just opened this past week. We are hoping to keep piling money into that account.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Posted the oak printer's desk for $100, a serious cheap price for an antique I'm thinking. However it is stripped and not refinished, and the shelving needs to be replaced. We'll see if I get a bite.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    I just about died from shock last evening. DH came home around 9 PM and wanted to take me out to eat some place. It's been well over six months since he suggested that! I'd all but given up on him. We went to a cafe with fresh fruit I could eat, and herbal tea I can drink. Welcome to being married for over 30 years. It becomes very easy to take the other person for granted. It is not a wise idea...
    Aww that was very sweet of him! Its the lil things in life that make you happy, remember that!

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    DH looked at the room last evening and asked "So all we need is the right storage and the rest of the house could look like this?" Score! I said "Yes, if we de-clutter too." That's the big catch...letting go of stuff.

DH and I started work de-cluttering the dining room last evening. It moved into de-cluttering the living room. I have to get the library books back to the library soon. We have over 40 books out between us. Mostly reference for me.

Looking at the medical/dental jar and we seem to have a surplus of money there. DH thought I should transfer any extras to food, as that is where we're short. Makes sense to me. Good food means less spent on medical/dental. So the grocery budget should benefit from that.

We've been able to put in excess of $1700 into our car and home repair account we just opened this past week. We are hoping to keep piling money into that account.
    Just be careful you don't end up with a house full of storage If I let DH, he'd turn this house into a very efficiently organized storage type place with wall units & shelving. I mean I'm all for getting organized and using vertical space BUT I do need to purge stuff so that we don't need that much storage...KWIM?

Just a thought - you're taking from the medical/dental jar for groceries which is ideal since you're over in groceries BUT do you have enough saved up for a mini emergency for medical/dental? Meaning have you set a cushiony cap on how much should be saved up in the jar until needed etc?

Congrats on that $1700 you were able to put away!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reminder Libby. Saving for an unexpected root canal would be a good idea. Especially with DH who hates to take care of his teeth. I don't think he's seen a dentist in his entire life. Thankfully he has good teeth. Just a wicked cross bite! Wish he'd get them cleaned more often though. He just refuses to see dentists. He thinks they're a rip off...just like insurance agents. Some people!

I hear you about the storage. I'm already worrying about that. I write a lot, and it's becoming a struggle to keep my writing from taking over the house! I know I could do it all on the computer, but I'm talking about the book I published (there are four boxes in the basement), the books I've written that I haven't published, notes I've taken on different books, journals, homeschool records, etc. It's a real nuisance all this paper.

I'm still whittling down what I inherited from Mom. I think I'm ready to go through that stuff again. I know one item in particular I want to get rid of.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just listed a complete Henley Stainless Steel Tea Set for sale online. I'll get rid of stuff yet. Don't know if anyone will pay the price, but we'll see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sold the storage units! It was a Chinese lady and her teenaged daughter. I ended up talking to them about English Conversation Group and English Corner, and telling them I taught cooking classes to Korean/Chinese/Thai ESL students this spring. The daughter was very interested in the cooking classes. The mother is going to try to come to English Conversation Group on Wednesday. I am going to be firm about the cost on the cooking classes if I hold them again. And I am going to be firm on the size of the class. No more than four students.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Listed a whole whack more of stuff online to give away/sell. Took the Henley tea set down because DD#1 said she wanted it. But now she says she doesn't. Hmm... don't know. I might hang onto it for a wedding gift for someone.

Made a list of things left to do in the sewing room and landing upstairs. DH is happy to see all the stuff leaving the house. Sorted through the chest of drawers and china cabinet in the dining room last evening, getting rid of more stuff. I'm on a roll!

If I can't sell the house because of DH, at least I can prepare it to sell eventually...when we have to. And honestly, after 16 years of living here, it's about time we got rid of some things.

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3239404142434445 ... LastLast