My story so far - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My story so far

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where on earth do you live???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would just like to say; a little after the fact; you are a very fast learner, especially since no one taught you growing up. I have always had your attitude about money. I am twice your age and it is sooooo worth it. We both don't have jobs. Just my dh works and we have raised 3 ds w/o all the name brand "things" and GUESS WHAT??? They survived. We had no cable and they are all adults now living on their own home with cable; one is getting rid of it soon so dw can stay home with ds. We just live in too much of a materialistic society and that is why people find themselves in sooo much debt. Todays attitude IMHO is; I want what I want when I want it. Your attitude at 28 is refreshing!!!!! I also have believed people can live on alot less; it's all in the attitude!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for sharing your budget numbers.

Phone - $75 (2 Cell Phones)
    Grocery - $100 ($25 a week)
    Gas - $40 (we live within 5 miles of work and even closer to both of our parents)

Grocery amount ? Is $ 25 per week the regular amount ?
    Can you break this down for us ? Do you have a stockpile in place ? If so, how do you maintain this on your weekly amount ?

Gas ? Is $ 40 for the month ? What kind of vehicle ?
    My hubby is 3 miles from work one way and he drives a full size truck. He has to own a 4x4 to get to work at 4am in the winter.
    I been tracking our gas use for some time now. Gas is the 3rd biggest dollar amount in our budget every month. We both drive 4x4's due to we live on a hill. I hibernate a lot in the winter too.

Cell phones. We each have a tracfone. Our costs work out to $ 7 each per month. I just buy a 60 minute card every 3 months, and then go online and get a promo code. Phones have the double minutes. So it works out to like 50 minutes per month. Neither one of us does any texting.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Back in rural southwestern Manitoba where I grew up, $30K was an expensive home. Prices have really climbed in the last 3-4 years (although I'm sure most people would consider them ridiculously cheap). When my friend and I graduated HS, we were looking at buying one house in town that was in decent shape, 1 1/2 story with attached garage and absolutely no problems whatsoever that was listed for $2500. Yep, 2 thousand, five hundred. Three years ago we sold my grandmother's house when she moved into the lodge and got $7500 for it. And two years ago, there was one decent, average house that was absolutely free if you could move it. Now the prices have climbed to the $30K-$80K range. If only I was a little smarter a few short years ago...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too would love to know where you live. There are tools online that can be used for cost comparators between locations and it is always helpful to be able to see where I am. I do know I am in a high cost of living area so that is why I need to do some calculating. So, do tell, what area are you in?

Congrats on the major life changes...your family is very blessed for sure!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anthony, I'm not sure if you're Canadian or American, but whatever; you could access some fantastic coupon/freebie sites which would save you a pile of money for food, household, baby, bath & beauty items. And there are sites which post all the weekly sale flyers and the coupons which work best for these items, so you can shop and save a great deal of money. Thrift shops have new or almost new clothing and furnishings for babies, men & women.

I know of 2 houses right now, not too far from me, up for sale.
    The 1 bedroom is listed at $10,000 and the 2 bedroom (a nice looking house) is listed at $20,000. But location next to work is the real money-saver.

Again, it's just great to have you post here with such a good attitude. So many young people are always in dire straits, and yet spending hand-over-fist, with no clear idea of how to manage their money. You're a responsible, sensible, mature person, and we appreciate you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to hear more abut that $25 a week grocery budget! how do you do it? Vegans? Food co-op?

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $143,239.43
    Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2066.45

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Way to go!! Would love to hear more on how you do what you do! Like the OP I spend 25.00 on produce alone too!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will be back hopefully with some more info, but $25 a week is mainly tofu, potatoes, $1 frozen pizzas, beans, rice, lettuce, bread and peanut butter. We are both vegetarians. We got a baby bullet for a baby shower gift and will be producing our own food once our son is able to eat.

$40 for gas is actually on the high side. I carpool when my fiancee is not working or we ride together. We literally don't leave a 5 mile radius very much.

The cell phones need to be lower. We are in a contract and hoping tmboile is sold to AT&T simply so we can leave the contract. I'd love to get a home phone and 1 cheap pay by the minute phone that can be used by whichever one of us isn't home.

My goal for next year is convincing my fiancee we don't need cable, would love to free up that $40/month.

I don't stockpile anything except boxes of rice/pasta/sauce when its on sale. When Kroger/Meijer has the 10 for 10 specials we can buy a cart full of stuff for $25 and it'll last a long long time.

I also have enough toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, paper towels, razors, toilet paper on hand to last a long long long long time.

My advice to all is to have your desk littered with pictures of your child/children and anytime you go to click purchase of a material item - look at the picture and go hang out with your kid instead. You can have all the crap you want, but being able to put your kid through college sure beats a new coffee pot to replace your working, old, coffee pot.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses, they are miserable and stressed to the core.

Dave Ramsey and Henry David Thoreau are responsible for the new me.

We live in a suburb of Dayton, Ohio - great prices on houses within great school districts.

I have my desk in the corner of our bedroom with numerous notebooks and filing systems - my hobby has became living debt free.

I did buy the new Bonnie Prince Billy record and a 6 pack of Mt Carmel Nut Brown Ale today - every once in a while its good to treat yourself. But of course I'm having a beer and listening to the CD while crunching numbers and looking at homes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I needed you today

Anthony
    you gave me what I needed this morning- a boost! I have just gotten on the track that you are on only 3 years ago and I am 43.
    What I wish I knew at your age.
    You are an inspiration and it touches my heart to know that you are happy. I am striving for this peace in my life right now and I can attest to you that this site has helped me tremendously.
    Many blessings to you and your family!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I am going to be the slightly dissenting view.
    Don't get me wrong. I think you are doing a BRILLANT job of using your resources./ But some of your numbers and claims are a little shakey and could cause you problems later on.
    You aren't receiving any help? But you have free babysitting. The fact that both sets of parents are within a five mile radius and are willing to babysit free is a huge help. It is wonderful that you have two sets so that niether one is so overburdened that they become resentful. My only caution is that this could change quickly. One accident or illness could prevent one set of parents from babysitting. Then the burden could become too great for the other set and so become problematic.I am not saying that you shouldn't use this while you can. It is healthy for your child and for the grandparents. Just realize that it may not last for the five years until he is in school.
    You are using baby shower gift cards and money from sale of items to pay for a lot of incidentals and formula. This is help. Either from your previous salary when you bought these items or from your friends who bought the gift cards. Not saying that it isn't a great use for them but it will come to an end.
    I am also concerned about your diet. Being vegetarian is great and will save you money. But you also need some veges and fruit. There are ways to get this cheaply. Grow sprouts. Get a garden. Buy only veges that are under a dollar a pound. Shop at a liquidators. (Mine has stuff from Trader Joes and I have never bought so much organic food). The diet you describe is sustainable for the short term for you and your wife because you are young adults and have reserves. Your son's growth and development may be compromised some if he eats this diet for the next few years.
    From what I see you are describing are the kinds of sacrifices you make to get the first thousand dollars saved. But you are finishing baby step two and your lifestyle needs to be more sustainable long-term. It appears that because of many of the sacrifices you have made and wise choices to keep your major expenses down (housing, gas, etc) you CAN live on your wages. YOu have shown incredible self-discipline in using your resouces into a solid financial place. (Not using blowing all your money because you have free babysitting). I just want to caution you that you can not plan for that kind of savings rate when you are looking at buying a house.
    It has been nice knowing you...if Greebo bans me for this post
    Go West Young(ish) (Wo)Man,
    Let your troubles stay east.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by kita View Post
    I think you are doing a BRILLANT job of using your resources.
    But some of your numbers and claims are a little shakey and could cause you problems later on.
    You aren't receiving any help? But you have free babysitting. Being vegetarian is great and will save you money. But you also need some veges and fruit. The diet you describe is sustainable for the short term for you and your wife because you are young adults and have reserves. Your son's growth and development may be compromised some if he eats this diet for the next few years.
    You can not plan for that kind of savings rate when you are looking at buying a house. It has been nice knowing you...if Greebo bans me for this post
    Spot on.

Buying a house and then maintaining it is major.
    You will need some kind of cushion in the bank for emergencies. Replacing a roof or a furnace is big $$$ .
    You have the costs of fire insurance, school taxes and property taxes. If you are on public water, septic, trash removal, then you have those monthly bills. Electric. Then whatever your heating fuel costs is........ propane, fuel oil, wood, electric.

I did not see in your budget numbers anything about health insurance, or a sinking fund for medical bills. Unless you plan on setting aside the current $$ you are paying on medical bills.

Vehicle repairs ?

Clothing or haircuts ?

Birthday gifts or Christmas ?

I see you mention gift cards. That is great to have them for current use. But they won't last indefinitely.

Your cable bill at $ 40 a month is well within reason. You need to do something for recreation
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to agree with kita, I don't see this being a long term sustainable option. While you can curtail costs for children. They still are going to add to your budget as he gets older. Along with many other variables that are just life, and trust me life happens to all of us along our travles. But I will say good job on where you have managed to get yourself, and good luck on your journey. You will find many useful tips and tricks here in the village.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too am obsessed with small houses and simple living!

We are renting a two room 600 s.f. cottage (downsized from 2500 s.f. last February) and my dream is to buy a piece of land with cash and then built a tiny house on it, possibly a Tumbleweed or similar house.

And congrats - your baby is very lucky to have wise parents and will greatly benefit from the time you are able to give! :-)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default a few great links to cheer you on!

Sustainable Living in your own backyard:
    Home and Garden TV | Organic Vegetable Gardening for the City Garden
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvDzgJKK-ng]Garden Girl 5 min Promo - YouTube[/ame]

DIY Home Improvement Information | DoItYourself.com

Info on mortgages, buying a home, etc: (Canadian, but google USA info for same thing)
    CMHC ? Home Buying Step by Step
    CMHC ? Maintaining a Home

self-reliance | homesteading | backwoods | home | magazine
    self-reliance | homesteading | backwoods | home | magazine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast