What is the cheapest cable t.v. package?
    Registered User sunflowers*8890's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What is the cheapest cable t.v. package?

We need to make drastic cuts to our budget. Thankfully, there is a LOT of room for improvement!

At the end of January, our contract is up with Verizon Fios. We have the triple package: cable/internet/land line. I need the internet and land line, but I'm going to check out other companies.

DH talks about getting rid of the cable.... but I'm not sure he can handle it! Does anyone here have any recent experience using a t.v. antenna, or know how small a package we can get with a cable company? We live in a college town with just about every option available in our area.

Thanks for any advice!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We've been on antenna since the beginning of our TV experience. AntennaWeb.org will give you a listing by what is available in your area with certain antenna.

Here's the website: Address

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do Antenna tv and I swear we have more to watch now then when we had cable years ago. You might be really surprised by just how many stations are available to you. I was totally blown away by how many more channels we received after the change over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

you can watch most everything online anyway. i signed up for "amazon prime" for movies for a buck or two.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$50.99 plus taxes/fees is the cheapest where I live (no competition, only one company). Umm....I don't think so. Antenna TV is what we have too, plus netflix and free hulu. I refuse to pay that kind of price just for reception and a bunch of other stations I'll never watch anyway. Most of the sports I miss can be watched on espn online.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you are presently surprised by the antenna channels available.

We were disappointed. One channel available and it is so low power for us we have to have a roof top antenna to get it. So essentially zero antenna channels for us.

Many tried satellite or dish tv but that does not work well in my area either.

We had thought about going the hulu plus or netflix streaming or other but here unless you have a grandfathered plan internet is metered by data usage. Many of those that tried to do those ended up paying $$ in overage charges. One many had $50 in charges in a month that he said his internet only worked half the time. OThers we know say they ended up paying more to watch netflix then it did to get cable tv because of the data charges.

And listed on the 11 things to go in price for 2012 thread is data charges. I wonder if we were just early on the charges or if those here will go up too.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use Directv and pay roughly $34 a month for a somewhat 'basic' package and DVR. This is UBER cheap- my hubby is blessed with being good at aruing down prices, we call every 6 months or so when they jack prices up, hubby argues them down and gets free channels thrown in to boot.

If you go 'rabbit ears', don't forget about your local library for free movie rentals...we get movies, and often popular tv series, on dvd to watch at home- free.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $141,279.52 Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2548.29

Registered User sunflowers*8890's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for this info! Imagine, are you located in a remote area, or in the mountains? I sat up last night doing some research on antennas, and it looks like the reviews in our area are pretty good, but we are located halfway between Philadelphia & Baltimore.

We are thinking we can purchase an antenna & get it set up for less than $200, and then save the $60 we pay monthly for cable. I'll keep this updated with our results... *crossing fingers*....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks for all of the info on antennas. The website was really interesting! I hope you are able to cut cable and save money

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

See my post here Dish network gone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunflowers*8890 View Post
    Thanks for this info! Imagine, are you located in a remote area, or in the mountains? I sat up last night doing some research on antennas, and it looks like the reviews in our area are pretty good, but we are located halfway between Philadelphia & Baltimore.

We are thinking we can purchase an antenna & get it set up for less than $200, and then save the $60 we pay monthly for cable. I'll keep this updated with our results... *crossing fingers*....
    Good news! I hope it works for you.

I do think the reason for our poor reception is our location, geographic, weather related or equipment related/industrial noise. We also do not get radio stations we are suppose to get well either.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)