Frugal Village Forums banner

January 2012's "Wasted" Money Challenge!

11K views 211 replies 37 participants last post by  madhen 
#1 ·
What did you buy just because you wanted it, not because you needed it? How much money did you spend on little luxuries, or googaws, or fast food, that could have gone toward savings, debt reduction, or other things that could change the quality of your life in a material way?

If your purchase just fulfilled a want, if it provided a transient happiness, if it was something you feel you have to "justify" afterward, then this is the accountability thread for you!

Just a little place to maintain our awareness of where all that money goes (or doesn't go).

#4 ·
me too...after bills and gas money is deducted.

and groceries there is 622.00 left...this does not include hba products that are needed etc...I purchased a big bag of cat and dog food so we should be set there.....this month my goal is to see how much of that 622 will be left at the end..I know in reality there will some things that i will need and if i find a good deal i will tap into it but would love to see $500 of that carry over....so tomorrow i will pick daughter up from sleepover and come directly home so nothing wasted...

#5 ·
With a new puppy in the household AND my old "puppy" going in for surgery on Friday (estimated $500 and fingers crossed that the biopsies come out neg), my austerity program has to start for real as of this second. So, I am going to try VERY hard to not blow any money this month. I am not going to count money spent on necessities for me or my animals, which includes medical costs, but everybody in the household will be tightening our proverbial belts and doing with fewer toys this year!

#7 ·
I'm headed to the grocery today to pick up a very small list of things. I will work hard not to waste a penny!

#8 ·
I'm in for this challenge. We need to watch every penny so being accountable for any 'wasted money' is a great idea. January should be a good month to do that... especially since all the expenses of Christmas are done with !

#10 ·
I am in on this challenge again. Thanks madhen for getting us started. :)

January 1st - no money spend so nothing wasted! :)

Reactions: madhen
#13 ·
I will join in this thread. I have to go thru DD's birthday this month and I am pretty determined to not waste...I will buy the cake, ice cream and etc. that is "needed" but nothing extra. ....I think I can.....I think I can.....I think I can :)

I didn't spend any money yesterday and so far I'm good to go for today :)

#14 ·
Not leaving the house and I don't shop online so no wasted money today! :)

#16 ·
Count me in on this thread. This is a good one for me. I spend way too much on fast food when I am shopping and on little impulse purchases. One of my biggest is the impulse buys at the goodwill....Yes it is a great deal and often something cute but do I NEED it......often times, no...
I will try to only purchase needed items at thrift stores, not wanted items...........

#17 ·
yesterday i spent

1.80 for green peppers and onion for pizza....I didnt buy any meat but we could of just had cheese pizza so not sure if i would count the 1.80 or not...
I did purchases 60.00 worth of gas but i needed that....however today i havent purchased anything and will use some of the gas to take son to a basketball game and back home again...again he doesnt really need to go so not sure if this is a need or a want...

I guess the need want thing goes a little further than i imagined...

#18 ·
Jan 1st no wasted money today Jan 2 no money wasted have only been to grocery stores and only bought what I needed I put back the pepperidge farm cinnamon bread when I say it was 4.29 that was def a want So proud of myself lol I love this challenge cause I so need it Heres to Victory for all of us

#20 ·
I'm in as well. I need to save as much $ as possible this month because I have DD's upcoming dance competition fees. I seem to have a problem with impromptu trips to the drive thru, so I hope to keep it under control with this challenge.

*Jan 1st--no spend

*Jan 2nd--no spend

#21 ·
Weird. I posted here, but it disappeared into the cosmos!

Anyway, $18.99 wasted on two packages of beef jerky and a prepared tub of macaroni salad. I made the mistake of going shopping on an empty stomach! Way too much money for the amount of product that you get.

#22 ·
$2.49 on a bottle of Vitamin Water and $44 on Chinese food last night (yea, we caved but it's the first time we've ordered Chinese food in a really, really long time)

#23 ·
I'm in; as I have said in a couple other posts, the more accountability for me the better. Jan 1 and 2, no spend days fist day back to work today. It is usually easier not to spend when I am at work :)

Brought both breakfast and lunch, and brought my coffee, and my water yeah me :)

#24 ·
So far no wasted cash into the New Year!

Jan 1 and 2 are no spend days.

Today was $15 for 2 loaves of bread, 2 small packs of walnuts, a quart heavy cream and apples. I had a chiro appointment and found the farm supply store there has very reasonable groceries!

#25 ·
I'm in - so far the only wasted money for January has been $4 for a sweatshirt. I didn't really need it but I love wearing these in the winter when it's cold outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.