Frugal Village Forums banner

February 2012's "Wasted" Money Challenge!

6K views 107 replies 22 participants last post by  Debbie-cat 
#1 ·
New month!! New chance to not waste money!! :)

What did you buy just because you wanted it, not because you needed it? How much money did you spend on little luxuries, or googaws, or fast food, that could have gone toward savings, debt reduction, or other things that could change the quality of your life in a material way?

If your purchase just fulfilled a want, if it provided a transient happiness, if it was something you feel you have to "justify" afterward, then this is the accountability thread for you!

Just a little place to maintain our awareness of where all that money goes (or doesn't go).

<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

#8 ·
I'm in..... no wasted money yesterday or today. Tomorrow may be different.... it's payday, and I need to go to the grocery store....but tonight I sat down with coupons and organized them and am trying to match them to the items on my grocery list. I hope I can stick to it.

#9 ·
Just bought printer ink today!

Yesterday we didn't eat out!!! Woot! First Wednesday in a long time. Helped that DH had to work late though and that's why we didn't ;) So, I'm doing good so far!

#11 ·
Won't be wasting any money today...no planning on going anywhere! :)

#12 ·
Spent $13.00 on food at the bar last night BUT was treated to a few drinks by regulars after they heard about my date on Feb 1st (I've known the guy for a few years although he doesn't live nearby so I'm not up to date on his life, we went for dinner and, out of curiosity, I asked when he and his GF broke up...turns out they hadn't but he was "testing the waters" to see if there was any chemistry with me!!!:yucky:)

It may have been money I didn't HAVE to spend but the venting was definitely good for my mental health!!

#13 ·
I went to the Goodwill.......... I probably should have stayed away..
I spent 17.00 on 4 pair of capris, and a blouse. I do need them for summer, but hated to spend it anyway.

#16 ·
I know that I am coming in a couple of days late, but I will start tracking my wasted money here.

Yesterday, hubby and I went out for coffee and rent movies. $15 wasted.

#17 ·
This is a good thread for me. Fast food and impulse buys at the grocery store are killing me budget as well as my diet
Yesterday - Fast food and junk - Wasted total 8.15!
AUGHHHHHHHHHH

#18 ·
Yesterday, wasted $9.99 on a "tea tumbler." Liked the idea of it, so bought it, but definitely didn't need it. It is a glass bottle with a built-in tea sieve, so you just add hot water and have your tea in one container, vs. having to put it into a teapot, then into a cup. I'm into less dishes to wash. ;)

Today (hangs head in shame), I wasted $76. Bought two new shooting glasses (one with smoke lens for daytime and one with clear for nighttime) and a set of ear protectors. I've been wanting to get some of the type that stop noise over a certain decibel, but allow you to hear conversation, so I can hear directions on the range, and they were on the site as the glasses, so I said, "What the heck" and bought them. I typically use my sunglasses on the range, which is not great because they are not shatter-proof, but the likelihood that I would get hit in the face with an incoming bullet and: 1) I would get hit in the eye; 2) The shattering plastic would do more damage than the bullet; and 3) I would survive to care about it, is slim enough to not really justify the purchase.

#19 ·
Nothing at all so far this month and its already the fourth hurt my knee so wont be wasting any money shopping this weekend :(

#23 ·
Went shopping for the stockpile today. I didn't have a list, but had things in mind depending on the prices. I spent $101.55, saved $125.36. I LOVE coupons and stores that double! Nothing wasted.

#24 ·
Won't be wasting any money today since I don't plan on spending any. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.