easy, easy tax form help.....
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default easy, easy tax form help.....

I need to do my kids taxes....one is 18, she is still living at home, just graduated high school......the other is 21, worked full time for half of last year.....was still living at home, missed college because he was sick (Ulcerative colitis)....has no bills----can I still claim him? he is still on my insurance....Now, what is the easiest, best way to do there taxes? We live in Tennessee.....Any ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you want to do your taxes online it is free. You can call HRblock or the IRS and ask them and they will be happy to help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dwnloom View Post
    I need to do my kids taxes....one is 18, she is still living at home, just graduated high school......the other is 21, worked full time for half of last year.....was still living at home, missed college because he was sick (Ulcerative colitis)....has no bills----can I still claim him? he is still on my insurance....Now, what is the easiest, best way to do there taxes? We live in Tennessee.....Any ideas?
    This is not official tax advice. I am not a tax professional and make no assurances to the absolute accuracy of this information. Contact a licensed tax professional or the IRS for more information. This is simply my interpretation.

Publication 501 (2011), Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information

At 21 and not a full time student, he's not a qualifying child. He fails the age test.

HOWEVER, he could still be a qualifying relative:
    Publication 501 (2011), Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information

Example 3.
    Your son lives with you but is not your qualifying child because he is 30 years old and does not meet the age test. He may be your qualifying relative if the gross income test and the support test are met.

Gross Income Test

To meet this test, a person's gross income for the year must be less than $3,700.

Working full time for half a year, assuming minimum wage, is over $8,000, so it sounds like he fails that test and has to file his own taxes and you cannot claim him.

SO start collecting rent!
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!