Wwyd?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wwyd?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wwyd?

My employer doesn't have an official maternity policy, and while my boss and I had the understanding that I would be paid for 12 weeks, HR is now trying to say that they'll pay me for 8 weeks and I can use vacation time until that runs out, and then take the rest unpaid. I talked with my boss and she is going to talk to HR (seriously folks, this is what happens when you don't have an official policy - I don't mind following the rules, but make sure you HAVE rules and don't just make them up as you go along...) but - what would you do?

I am planning on going back to work anyways.

My MIL is watching the baby so I don't have "my daycare spot doesn't open up for 3 weeks" problems.

We could make it through 4 weeks without my paycheck, but it would really sink our financial plans. Like the $500 a month we're paying on the 0% card to have it paid off by the time the rate expires would have to go. Or my automatic retirement contributions. We could frugal down groceries and stuff some, but not enough to replace my entire paycheck.

So - what would you do? I'm thinking that if my boss can't get the last 4 weeks paid, that I'll use 1 week of vacation pay (I have 7 days) and go back after 9 weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Any chance of going back part time AND cutting some expenses? Maybe that doesn't make any sense.

Tough choices.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you work from home at all? If you have a c-section, will you be cleared for work by 9 weeks?
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2 3

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So - what would you do? I'm thinking that if my boss can't get the last 4 weeks paid, that I'll use 1 week of vacation pay (I have 7 days) and go back after 9 weeks.
    That. Are you okay with that? I mean you've done it once before, right? Will you be ready to go back at that point?
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's tough. Can you go back 1/2 time for 4 weeks? I would probably take off as long as I could afford to, before you know it he will be a teenager
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How many employees at the office? Are you below the FMLA minimum of 50 workers? If above, they HAVE to give give you the FMLA minimum. If below, I'm not sure what to do. The company may also be including time you have already taken off as part of the 12 weeks. FMLA can kick in once you are expecting so that if you stop working a few weeks before the birth it is counted as part of the time off. FmlaOnline.com - FMLA for pregnancy: Frequently Asked Questions can answer some questions.
    MissSeetonFan

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm ready to go back. It's my second, so I know what it's like. And the baby is already here.

I know FMLA means I get 12 weeks, but they don't have to pay me for them. I can take the last 4 weeks unpaid, I just really don't want to. A lot of our debt payoff this year happens in August and Sept.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Telephus44 View Post
    Like the $500 a month we're paying on the 0% card to have it paid off by the time the rate expires would have to go.
    If you don't pay this before the offer expires, will the interest be on the full amount?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

double post

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess it would depend on how you are feeling as much as affordability. At least it did for me. I went back after 6 weeks after my c section ( full time work)and 3.5 weeks after a natural birth( part time). However I felt really good and was getting sleep on a regular basis. I NEEDED to get out of the house and my clients were anxious. My dh had a fit both times. I think being in my early 20's helped.

How behind will you get on your goals?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Based on the info you've given with regard to finances, I'd go back after 9 weeks.

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd go back...if I couldn't get the half time for a few weeks. Good luck with your decision.
    On Baby Step # 6 $25,386
    Mortgage pay off October 1 2014
    Proud supporter of Blessings In A Backpack and SPCA
    CrossFit lover

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like your plan to go back after 9 weeks is indeed a good one you'd be both emotionally and financially comfortable with. This is assuming, of course, your boss can't fix this to the 12 paid weeks you discussed! Good luck, and what a blessing to have a family member to watch your little one when you go back.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $143,239.43
    Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$2066.45

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Six weeks used to be the standard time off for maternity leave. Often that was 2 weeks prior to delivery and 4 weeks after. I think your first priority is your health and the baby's. If 9 weeks works for that criteria, then why not go back at 9 weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you have any short term disability that would cover the other weeks? It wouldn't be your whole pay, but some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast