TO work or not to work, opinions needed
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default TO work or not to work, opinions needed

Okay here is my dilemma. I hate working and not being a SAHM. I miss the time of baking, gardening, and the most important part the security for my son etc. to know that I am home. I work 5am to 2pm, sometimes on the weekends, a few miles up the road, was 27 hrs. a week but picked up an extra day(2-10pm) to try to snowball debt so I could quit working by the end of the summer. I make 5.75 phr,take home $285-350 depending on hours worked and w/o taxes being taken out. Dh takes home approx. $1400. pwk with 401K and w/o 401K $1525. He does work overtime $10,000 worth last year but don't want to depend on it. My bills are listed below, we pay our realestate taxes 2x's per yr, and now our auto ins 2x's per year. I have 3 kids, 19 yrs, goes to local community college free, and works, a 16year old, who is very active and does do travel softball, but recently had surgery, and my son who is 12 and going to be 13 tomorrow.IMy heart wants to quit working and get really tight w/$, we are doing Dave Ramsey's plan. I am always tired and not worth much in the evening. I am 41 yr. and DH 43yrs. DD that's 16 is a junior in high school. Planning on a big garden too. Opinions please.
    taking one day at a time, trying to get rid of debt!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The best thing to do is set a goal - say 6 months down the road I'd like to quit. Then live off of dh's pay and see if you can do it. Bank the money you are making. Then when you decide to quit, you have a nice amount in the bank and you know if it's doable. (In most cases it is.)

Best wishes with whatever decision you make.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean live off of his income with the snowballing plan, and put my paycheck in the bank, and not use my money to snowball? This way I will be able to know if it is doable. Don't know if I spelled that riight. I just hate the thought of working during the summer when my kids are home and doing activties.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, set a goal as to when you could quit and pay down all you can on the debt. It would be a real incentive to have an actual "quit date" in mind.

I know you can do it!

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey Ohian buddy, thanks for the reply. just talked to DH, he is working an extra shift, discussed for a few minutes me quitting, and he would like me to, because I am always tired, trying to keep up with it all. I don't know what I will do yet, I wll definitely take in consideration all of the replies I receive as I have so much respect for all you on the village, keep suggestions coming. I had originally thought about quitting as soon as the cc'c were paid off, but we need new windows desperately, losing way to much $$ thru those things, overtime was going to be saved for the windows, but now we are rethinking things. I just am so...tired of getting up at 4am because I go to bed later because of the kids and home responsiblities. etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Howdy back at ya! The one positive is that it's warming up so the heating bills will be going down, I know what you mean on the windows, my house is leaks like a sieve!

Maybe go at the CC's first, make that the goal and see about quitting then, take them one at a time and watch them disappear!

Also, with daylight savings time we'll have a LOT more daylight in the evenings for you to do things with the kids, I know that the early evenings of winter really make me tired and give me the blues.

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have pondering dropping out my DH 401K until my cc's are paid off an then once that happens, we could live more comfortably, and continue the snowballing, it will just take alittle bit longer. I guess the whole thing comes down to, how I feel tired all of the time. It is nothing for me to fall asleep at extremely early times. I hate that feeling. I am pooped.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The suggestion to set a goal date for when you can quit is a great idea. Situations always seem more tolerable when there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you have your dh's support on this, so that is good. These ladies give good advice. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Can you look for a different job maybe? One that you don't have to work so early? Maybe you can go in a little later, and still get off at 2 pm, so you would be working less hours, but still working? It sounds like you don't mind working, you just hate to be tired. Or take the summer off to spend with your kids and go back to a different job in the fall. I don't know what skills you have, but could you work at the school with your children as an aide maybe? that way you get summer with your children but still work during the year?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I can't change my hours or take the summer off. I usually work more in the summer covering for vacations. IAt this point, I have decided to stay put until I get more of our debt paid down, but would like to quit in the fall. I should have at least one of the cc paid off by then, and I am making good head way on my medical bills. Still are doing Dave Ramsey's plan. It has been working, and I am excited. Going to start taking some vitamins to help with the tiredness. I have decluttering the house, and selling some things, to be more organized and less to clean up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You'll get there, and bet the decluttering helps a lot! I've really gotten rid of a lot of stuff here and it makes the evenings so much easier for me!

Keep going on those bills, just concentrate on how much you're getting paid off and it'll get you through it in a flash.

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Ohian buddy, yes, decluttering does help. DH just called he is probably going to work OT this weekend , which is good for us. We are going to put the overtime $ at this point in our house fund for new windows that are needed desperately, and continue to put $ towards medical etc. Paid off the termite guy $909.00 cash, cash part felt good but that was it.LOLAlso, I will use the $500 tax credit for next years taxes. The $500 is what the govt. is allowing for energy improvements. I work afternoon shift today, the extra day I picked up.