Frugal Village Forums banner

Working on dh's credit and scores...

833 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mikibracken 
#1 ·
My credit is awesome -- lots of hard work to get it all straightened out so have to brag. Dh -- he has just no credit so I've been adding me to my accounts to bring up his score. I'm hoping by adding him on I can attach his history to mine and it'll put us in a much better position to buy a new house. Just had to babble gals sorry!

G
#2 ·
If you really have that much of a difference in your credit scores, it may be beneficial to apply for the mortgage in your name only.

Otherwise, adding him to your accounts (assuming that he's responsible and doesn't run up your credit cards) should help to improve his score.

Best of luck to you! Don't forget to pull your free credit report annually (you're entitled to one free report from each credit bureau per year).

#3 ·
Well my credit score was at 780 last time I pulled it which is a terrific place to end up for now. Dh's is at only 700 -- which is still good but I'd love to go into a mortgage with excellent credit.

#4 ·
I have been working in mortgages for around 5 years now. Adding your dh to your accounts does improve his score. He will get the benefit of your credit history. Although I gotta say both of you have excellant scores. You should not get hit on the interest rate with these scores. If you are told that his 700 will somehow lower your credit rating, you will want to talk to someone else. The economy has been hit pretty hard in Michigan, it's sad but most of the clients we meet with are in the 540 to 620 range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.