Frugal Village Forums banner

Re-working my budget

993 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
So I am expecting a COLA and a raise in January (late Jan for the raise, cola on the 1st) I had worked out a rough budget and was so excited to have more money to throw in my IRA.

Come to find out last week, they are raising our health insurance premiums as of Jan 1. For me, thats $90/month MORE. There goes my pay increase, they give it to you at the front end and take it out the back end. I was SO *ISSED!

So I've resolved to squeeze 90 bucks out of my budget somewhere and its going to have to come out of the food budget. I just figured out today (duh moment) that I was lumping gasoline and blow money in with my food budget amount. I'm going to separate gas and blow out from food so I have a better idea what I'm spending, and decrease my food budget by $25/week. I've already started last week, I only spent $75. Thats for two people, we live in a high cola area and eat alot of organic food.

I'm not exactly sure how it will all work out until both raises kick in as they take out the health ins. pre-tax and the cola post-tax but I've got a plan.

I'm bound and determined to make this work.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like a good plan to me. Kudos to you for sticking to your guns and finding that extra money.

Health insurance premiums s**k. My husband just got a new job, a 10% raise, and about a $300 per month jack in our health insurance (thanks). When will the madness stop??

#5 ·
I think COLA = cost of living adjustment (?)

Tammy, I know it isn't easy, but with some extra time committed to reducing that food budget I'm sure you'll squeeze that extra money each month to help reach your goals. I'm planning the same thing... it's my goal for 2008. I also have a small annual raise coming up in mid January... and my health benefits will go up January 1. It just always seems to happen this way. :sigh: Good luck!

#6 ·
I hear you on the ins! ugh! We need to budget with $50 less a WEEK (so 200+ month)because of it.
I REALLY admire your determination to still get that extra money socked away! Wanna start a journal on the site or post here and let us know what steps you are taking?
We can brainstorm!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.