Phantom Credit Card Charges???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Phantom Credit Card Charges???

I'm just wondering...
    Sometimes I read the signatures you ladies put regarding the amounts of your cc debt. Some are quite high...in the tens of thousands or many, many thousands at least.

I think the most cc debt my husband and I had at one time was maybe $2,500 on one card in our 19 years of marriage, and believe me, I didn't even like being a slave to that amount.

When you look back, do you remember what you spent the money on? Was it vacations and big ticket items or just too much swiping for unnecessary frivilities?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When you look back, do you remember what you spent the money on? Was it vacations and big ticket items or just too much swiping for unnecessary frivilities?
    wow - I hope you didn't mean this to sound as snide as it implied - if not, my apologies, but when I read it, even I was offended (and I don't have any high cc debt)

why would anyone's cc debt have to fit within "big ticket", "vacation" or "frivilous" definitions??

Why wouldn't one assume that it was medical? or dental? or hard times paying the utilities??
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My credit card debt is from 4 years of no child support. I had to put food on the table, gas in the car and clothes for the children. Thankfully now I get a cs check most months now so I don't have to use my cc's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't post my cc debt because it's so high....ours is due to dh being unemployed for 18 months and we depended on them to put food on the table, gas and sometimes rent.

I'm not proud of it, but you have to do what you need to do. We were able to consolidate at a rather low interest rate and it should be paid off in 3 1/2 years (I hope).

Things are better now, he has a job and we are in a house now, but we do have that debt....it's not fun, but what else does one do?
    "We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen; For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
    - 2 Corinthians 4:18

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dear Bumplett,
    My question was definitely not meant to offend.

I noticed that on this site, many, many people are quite frank, upfront and honest about their situation and I also see many polls posted to either gain information or help others.

I'm surprised you took it personal. It was just a way to see what makes us get to that place. If you felt uncomfortable answering my question by posting any personal information, you could have just bypassed my post. In my opinion, you were snide, not me.

My apologies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OP lacked a lot of tact in asking of the question in the way it was posed.

But no, my debt did not come from vacations and big ticket items or just too much swiping for unnecessary frivilities.... it came from rent, groceries, gas and clothing for work from the thrift store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a lot of credit card debt...but I was a little put off by the question myself! I don't think it is good to just assume everyone get in their situation because of bad decisions. Sometimes it's not our fault...

That being said, our credit card debt came from traveling around trying to diagnose my son's illness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the question stung a bit here too. Even if i don't think that was the intent.

my most recent debt was accrued by three, count em, three funerals.

We do what we gotta do. of course i had some friviolous spending here and there. But the bulk of it was death related.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OP: "Was it vacations and big ticket items or just too much swiping for unnecessary frivilities?"

Gee, I'm usually laid back, but that was not tactful. Yup, unnecessary frivolities like paying for an entire furnace system repair because it went kaput this summer when DH and I had very little income. We are both university professors and are not paid twelve months out of the year -- if we don't find grants, we don't get summer pay.
    Annie

Homeschooling mom to DS9 and the World's Most Spoiled Rat Terrier ... Wife to DH for 13+ years

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by changed4life View Post
    Dear Bumplett,
    I'm surprised you took it personal. It was just a way to see what makes us get to that place. If you felt uncomfortable answering my question by posting any personal information, you could have just bypassed my post. In my opinion, you were snide, not me.

My apologies.

Oh, I'm not too uncomfortable to answer - as I said, I personally do not have any high cc debt - but that wasn't my point. The way in which you posed the question was very offensive. It's hard to bypass something that's bound to cause harm - if anything, I was hoping you may rephrase before it offended others as well -

It was not my intention to be snide - only honest. Sometimes the two travel hand in hand I suppose -

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only have about $1100 charged on my cc, the majority of it was much needed work clothing which I intended paying off w/in 2 months, then DH had to have surgery and I didn't want to pay it all off after that until I knew how our cash flow was going to be. The rest of it was health care related items and a few Xmas gifts. I'll have it all paid off by the end of March.
    “When you get to the end of all the light you know
    and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown,
    faith is knowing that one of two things will happen:
    you will be given something solid to stand on,
    or you will be taught how to fly.” - Edward Teller

“Our Earth is degenerate in these later days;
    there are signs that the world is speedily
    coming to an end;
    bribery and corruption are common; children no
    longer obey their parents;
    every man wants to write a book and the
    end of the world is evidently approaching.”
    — From a translation of an inscription on
    an Assyrian clay tablet, circa 2800 B.C.E.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference

aho mitakuye oyasin

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will humble mysef again and apologize because I have absolutely no problem with it.

It's pretty hurtful to have others put salt in my wound even after the apology was delivered. It's as if I was repeatedly kicked while I was down. Seems to me, forgiveness was a little lacking.

Perhaps a few of you should remember a time when your words lacked a long, hard look at what you've said or wrote to others. I'm only guilty of a quick post that should have delivered more thought; plus human error. I'm sorry.

Enough said.

Many blessings to you all as you travel on your road to frugality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's easy for things to be said with one intent, and to be read as another. It's easy, especially on message boards, for the intent to be lost, simply because so much of our language is done face to face, where we can in a sense "Read" each other's faces, to know no harm was meant.

it's a two way street. And where some felt pinched by the remark (yes, myself included), you also seem to feel pinched by the replies. Again, i am sure the intent wasn't meant that way.

apart from that, replies have been made to your question in itself. And I do think it's an interesting topic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I owe like $2300 right now in CC debt and it was because of unexpected expenses that my EF didnt cover such as medical bills, care repair, etc...

I agree though that many who do have CC debt dont necessarily have it because of "frivilous" spending but because of unexpected expenses such as loss of employment, car expenses, lack of money, etc...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

Eh, I don't mind saying that most of our CC debt is from doing stupid. Right now, we owe about $2,000 which includes a flat screen TV and the rest is mostly small stuff here and there, which adds up. There is one car repair on them as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast