Aldi and quality
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Aldi and quality

We're thinking of trying Aldi soon. Are there any products to avoid due to quality issues?

Is it easy to determine where their food originates from? We're very nervous about eating food products from mainland China now and are doing our best to avoid them due to the recent fatal QC failures.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have there been any human fatalities from eating exported food products from mainland China? I'm not aware of reading reports to that effect, and they do export a very large volume of food products passed fit for human consumption.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We like their
    -kidney beans
    -cherry pie filling
    -friendly dairy products
    - jarred tomato sauce
    -break and bake cookies
    -Alot of their produce is great at ours
    -summer sausage
    -yogurt
    -canned veg and fruits
    -milk

We won't drink/eat
    -millville cereal (botulism recalls at least 2x)
    -pop
    -meat although I have gotten name brand turkey and ham for holidays
    -coffee cake products
    -less expensive bread
    -cookies/snack cakes
    -corn chips,potato chips

This is MHO and my families. Try a few things. Buy 1. Some things are good for cooking. Their fit for life products are a newer line and better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are many food items I only purchase at Aldi and I generally go once every two weeks, but I watch their ads for special items.

Foods we like:

-Sausage patties
    -Frozen Juice Concentrate (100% real juice)
    -Baby Frozen Green Beans
    -Cherry Pie Filling
    -Butter (both salted and unsalted)
    -Frozen Chicken (parts or whole)
    -Pork n' Beans
    -Fit & Active Reduced Sugar Black Currant Fruit Spread (NO high fructose corn syrup)
    -Southern Grove Dry Roasted Peanuts (we buy unsalted but they have salted as well)
    -Baking ingredients (watch prices compared to other stores)

-I purchased a really nice all-weather coat there several years ago. I get complements on it every time I wear it. It cost me $15.

-Hubby bought his hooded winter coat there for $12.

-My favorite pair of flip flops came from Aldi.

-A number of our large storage racks in the basement food storage area were purchased for half the price at Aldi than what we priced the same things for at Sam's Club.

-When we moved 4-years ago, we donated our collectible antique dresser and vanity to Hospice, for their auction, and we got two end tables and a small tall-boy at Aldi. The tall-boys in the guest rooms also came from Aldi. We saw the same things at a "trendy" furniture store for 3X the price.

I also like some of the interesting foods they stock during the holidays that come from Germany. Many of these goodies our daughter used to send us from Germany when her hubby was stationed there for 4-1/2 years. It's fun to stock-up on these things to share at Christmas and to remind them of Germany.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How did you find out about the millville recalls?
    Produce is usually a good buy when on sale. I love their baking potatoes when on sale for .99 a bag. They are always about evenly sized. We also like the oatmeal/cranberry break-apart frozen cookies.
    I tried some smoked salted nuts once that were very good. Have never seen them again. Darn!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have yet to get there. they opened one up not far from here...just leary i guess...

but, thinking i may start small....unsalted butter ....

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love our Aldi's here. It would be easier for me to tell you what I don't like and it's their bread. I buy about 80% of our groceries from their and have been mostly happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My DH and I have been to Aldi's a couple of times, the only thing we had issues with was the bag fruit. It turned on us quick. Otherwise we really like everything else we got, we were happy with the spices we got. (large bottles for $1)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Millville recall was in the paper and it wasn't recently. i have been shopping at Aldi's for over 5 years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Their produce is sometimes hit or miss. I rarely buy so many bananas at a time but I've been loving the Tropicana oranges for the past 2 months. I've also been buying celery, carrots, avocados, peppers and cauliflower consistently for the past year and love them all. But then their apples have never looked good to me.

I haven't purchased their breads with 2 exceptions, the imported German flat breads and Kings Hawaiian when they had it on sale one weekend (haven't seen it there since).

I like their butter and most of their cheeses. I also enjoy their vacuum packed roast beef and never had problems with any of their lunch meats.

Their frozen veggies are also good quality and I pair them with the ham or frozen chicken quarters for dinners.

And I'm so glad I switched to Reeva dishwasher detergent. It cleans as well as Cascade in my washer.

Hope this helps... you may find shopping there it is more personal preference than poor quality. I'm still trying new things now and again .
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you all for the replies. We went there tonight as a recon mission. For regular purchases it seems like Walmart is about the same price or even cheaper. For us, the Walmart is also significantly closer, so in the future we may just pop by the Aldi on the way home from the dump to look for sales. If we do go, we'll go once to look, then find ATM for cash, as their debit card acceptance is as a PoS ATM only (i.e. no CC logo), which my bank charges a fee for.

I had heard they take debit cards but not credit cards and had thought that meant something like the way the Dave Ramsey website works. Live and learn. Glad it is helpful for the rest of you!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They take Discover credit card.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    They take Discover credit card.
    Your Aldi's takes Discover Cards?

Interesting mine does not only cash, food stamp cards, and debit cards.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

None in my area take Discover or any other credit card. I've had no trouble with either of the debit cards I have.

Milk and other dairy, eggs, etc., are cheaper here than at WAkmart or other stores, although occassionally those things are cheaper as loss leaders elsewhere and then I'll buy them there.

Their products are clearly marked as to country of origin, much more so than elsewhere.

I always take a good look at the seasonal specials, they tend to be very good - the German ryes, stollens, stuffed shells, egg rolls. Pie crust and puff pastry is excellent and way cheaper than anywhere else, but only available around the Christmas holidays. I stock up on puff pastry. Tortillas are cheaper than the same brand at the Mexican market. Diced tomatoes are very good. LOw sodium broth is good. (I always keep a few on hand in case I run our o my homemade). I've bought the spiral cut ham and it is good. They carry Butterball smoked turkeys over the holidays and those are just awesome and the right size for smaller households.

Produce is sometimes a good deal sometimes not, but their potatoes seem to be better than the ones from the produce store - stay good longer, partly because they are sold in a mesh bag, not plastic.

they have these veggie chips that I just love, and they are lower fat and sodium than other chips - I try to avoid this kind of stuff, but sometimes you have to have it. I like them with their hummus, which is good, although Trader Joes is cheaper in the large container. Ilike their plain potato chips better than the national brands, same with the multigrain tortilla chips, but I know there is a lot of personal preference in that kind of thing. They are a lot cheaper.

My husband likes the raisin bran, I must have missed the recall.

Oh, mine sells wine and right now they are carrying a Spanish red that is really great, especially at the price. Perfect for everyday.

It's like any other store - you try various things and see what works for your family and what does not. If you are wed to nationally advertised brands, you won't find that much to please you, but national brands are overrated, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
    Are there any products to avoid due to quality issues?
    Risk assessment is well worth doing but it involves recognizing the big problems and fixing those before squinting at the minor ones. Failing to wash after handling used toilet tissue or cat litter trays kills around five thousand Americans annually. Googling "Food-Related Illness and Death in the United States" gets to a CDC page with an effective breakdown of causes. Produce from China, Aldi or any other food chain doesn't rate high on the list. Subsequent unhygienic handling of raw meat from any source, on the other hand, does. The Toxoplasmosis entry in Wikipedia notes that "10.8% of U.S. persons 649 years of age, and 11.0% of women 1544 years of age, had Toxoplasma-specific IgG antibodies, indicating that they had been infected with the organism". If shutting down Aldi were a solution to that problem it would have been done long ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast