Aldi's dumpster
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aldi's dumpster

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Aldi's dumpster

So, today I was out and about and one of the chores I needed to do was find some sturdy boxes to store some stuff in. As I pulled into Aldi's I could see some banana boxes sticking out. Yeah! My lucky day! I could kill 2 birds with one trip. Went to pull the boxes out of the dumpster, and lo and behold, the boxes were full of slightly brown bananas. Now I am not opposed to picking certain things out of the dumpster, but I could not get myself to pull any food out of the thing. My mother said I should have brought some of the bananas home, as there wasn't anything wrong with them (and from what I could see, there wasn't, except for some brown spots, and they weren't that bad). So, give me feedback, would you have salvaged some of the bananas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I dont think I would have. I would be concerned about chemicals and things also being tossed in the dumpster. I know the peel protects the bananna but I would be worried that something could penetrate it. I am just too chicken!!
    Barb
    July 2014 Goals
    Grocery challenge 500.00/0
    Menu planning - 5/1
    Christmas 2014 50/0
    Swim with Dolphin Fund 100/00
    Bedroom carpet and redecorate fund 100/00

Time Goals
    Exercise 3x per week - walk/bike/boflex/dvd/yoga class 15/1

Health Goals
    Drink 32 ounce water or herbal tea daily 31 days/3
    Sleep - retire no later than 11 in bed as opposed to on chair

UFO July - Hem Maddies dress/weed flower beds again

Every little tiny bit helps to get rid of that debt

Success is not determined by how smart we are, It is determined by the decisions we make

CorneliaBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would absolutly not get food out of a dumpster.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No, I would be too worried taking food from a dumpster.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think I would, either. Definitely not produce for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nope, absolutely no way would I take food from a dumpster...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The ick factor is just too high on that one. no, I wou;dn't have either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I wouldn't want to take a chance in getting my family or myself sick.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear others feel the same way I do on this one, but it bothers me that Aldi's has never heard of Second Harvest. Perhaps they should have donated before throwing away. Thanks for the imput. Dorie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It bothers me to see places throwing good stuff away. When my dh worked for Pizza Hut, they would have extra dough and they were supposed to throw it out.. but my hubby and his co-workers made them into pizzas late at night and donated them to the local feeding program. When the pizzas were ready, the director of the program would come pick them up and feed them to the needy the next day, reheated.

Registered User Lori Biever-Launder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would have gotten them and passed them out to my friends (the part I couldn't use).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I definitely have and will continue to do so!

Let's see, 2 bushels of green beans, one bushel of bananas, several bushels of cantelopes, apples, tangerines (several 3 lb bags of the expensive minis), two pineapples, apples, potatoes, strawberries, grapes, lettuce, cabbage, corn on the cob...tomatoes...cukes...

About the only thing I haven't eaten out of the dumpster has been processed food. Produce which the stores cannont sell go into the dumpster. Most stores, even if they have a marked down produce section do not want to continue offering huge amounts of marked down produce because then there will be a lot less buyers for the fresh higher priced produce.

I canned some wonderful blackberry grape jelly out of the grapes that were in the dumpster. And my neighbors and freinds love it and they know where I got the grapes.

Of course there are some people who are really afraid of anybody finding out where they got their stuff and I say goody, that leaves more for people who really need it.

And for those of you who are afraid of being poisoned.... If you are squeemish about that? Don't ever buy any produce from a grocery store. If you knew what that produce went through when it was being packed you'd be afraid to eat it.

I worked at a packing company in FL and I couldn't eat carrots for a long, long time...and then I thought hey, I cook them and eat them and I wash them before I cook them, anything that survives that will either help me or kill me.

I think there are people who have allowed the media to make them paranoid about germs. I quit using anti-bacterial soaps and now I don't get sick. My immune system has been built back up. All I do is take some vitamin C tablets and don't worry about the germs.

The last bug I caught was knocking everybody down for several months and mine lasted about a week. That was a couple of years ago. A few germs are good for a body.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Funny story...

Way back in 1986 when we were moving and looking for boxes, we drove to King Soopers in Colorado late the night before packing. While throwing produce boxes in the back of the truck, I spotted a huge celophane wrapped box of assorted maple bars and donuts that were placed along side of the dumpster with wilted lettuce and other perishable foods.

I was so upset at the waste of these donuts that I asked my husband to drive me over to the railroad tracks to place the box on the picnic table for the homeless who slept nearby.

Early the next morning, while we were moving to our new location, we drove by to see if the donuts had been taken and were very surprised to see 3 well dressed men in suits holding clipboards and writing down the contents of the box.

I'm guessing that they may have thought the food that had been placed there, was poisoned???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Patches I am with you! I would have raided that sucker! lol
    I got over 50 pounds of cheeses from a Kroger dumpster. I canned 40 quarts of sour kraut too. My sister in law works in a Kroger bakery and she says that they throw stuff out just to throw it out. The have more than enought to stock and then just toss the rest.
    Smile
    Lisa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My mother (a child of the depression) told me that when I was still living at home, many, many years ago, she and my dad would go to one of the local stores and go into the dumpster. According to her, this particular store would put the old produce, usually still wrapped, right on the top, kinda to encourage those who needed (or wanted) it to take it. Perhaps that is why she said I should have gotten some 'nanas. I also saw potatoes in there, but not as numerous. I have never taken food out of a dumpster, but, have taken other useful items.

My youngest son has confessed to removing single serving bags of chips from a dumpster when he was about 16 and sharing with all his friends. I said yuck, but he said ," hey they were still sealed and besides they were free." I don't know if it is my frugality, his lack of cash or just the urge to live dangerously that made him do it. He also confessed to waiting for Dunkin' Donuts to close and raiding their dumpster. He said they usually put the leftover donuts in a plastic bag before putting them out. Still, its not the thought of germs, but the thought of what else may have been eating out of the leftovers. I suppose if you know that they havn't been there very long....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast