Warehouse "clubs" my opinion... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm trying to get a little closer to Once A Month Sam's Shopping. (OAMSS). And to avoid those mid-week Kroger runs.

So, this month, I made some menu choices and came up with a good list.

I spent $150 at Sam's:

• 2 pkg Parmesan tilapia
    • 1 pkg frozen blueberries
    • 1 pkg dried fruit
    • 1 pkg chick Cordon Blue
    • 1 pkg baby aspirin
    • 1 large pkg band-aids
    • 1 pkg frozen peas
    • 2 pkg frozen Asian veggies
    • 1 package pre-cooked bacon
    • 1 package tortillas
    • pre-cooked bacon
    • 1 package hummus
    • 1 tub pesto sauce
    • 24-pack Gatorade
    • 24-pack V8

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would love a business membership ... but they don't count homeschooler as a business.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i go to bj's. i use my moms card because i am not going to pay for something i won't use all the time. i do like it there because there are some things that can't be beat.i bought my water cooler there years ago and still use it,but i don't get my water there. i take off the cap and fill it at the water station.1.25 for 5 gal. is a lot beter than5.00. anyway if you check the racks you will find good coupons to use. 5.00 off and stuff. i have found buy 1 get 1 free coupons too.i have a family of 5 me husband and 3 sons ages 3,11 12!so when it comes to food they will eat it is a great deal.but the frozen ellios pizza is a no no. you can get store brand by the case at stop and shop for 6.00.my kids love to make these when friends come over.
    tide is cheeper there too. you get 14 more loads for the reg price of 17.99.that lasts us for more than a month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I go I go with my dad so I don't have to buy a membership. I find that when we go I get more junk food then I would a the reg. store. Weird huh. Maybe because I am with my dad?

KAty

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My fil gave us a Costco membership last Sept/October. It was free for him with his membership, so he gave it to us. I love it there! I think it pays to know what prices are at any store, and membership clubs are no exception.

I found phenomenal deals on milk ($1 less/gallon), yeast (I posted about this at some point--the price difference was amazing), dishwasher detergent, eggs, buter, and maple syrup. I bring a calculator with me as well as my current price lists.

I've only been twice since we got our membership, but I will be going back soon to stock up on paper products and cleaners.

I'm not sure if we'll be renewing our membership if my fil doesn't pay for it; it will depend largely upon how much we use it until then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have found some items that are cheaper at sam's than other places ....but there are some items that I won't buy there b/c I could get a better deal somewhere else

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Definitely know your prices

Yes, to a lot of posters above, you do need to know your prices or have a pricebook. If you are used to buying peanut butter for instance from the grocery store when the store brand is 3 for $4, then of course getting the double-pack of Jif is not a good deal. BUT, ther are deals to be found. On average, my grocery store has boneless skinless IQF breasts for a regular price of either $3.99 or 4.49 per pound, but Sam's has it for $2.08 per lb--and it's Tyson (name brand) at Sam's versus Publix store brand at that higher price.
    Also, at my Sam's, the price tags will give you some sort of unit price--such as price per lb, per oz, each, etc. That helps for those of us who forget our calculators that day!
    I see Sam's as my place for Meal Foundations. I don't buy huge Stouffer casseroles or potstickers, or anything like that. I get cheese, fresh meat, frozen chicken, eggs, milk, flour, sugar, etc--that I can CREATE meals from. I only need to go to Sam's probably once a month--if I plan my meals well and use my FoodSaver in conjuction with my chest freezer. For other 'goodies' or convenience foods, I surf the internet for my grocery store weekly ads and grab what's on sale that I need (like Hamburger Helper when BoGo-the HH is great used with chicken instead of beef--lower in fat, too...).
    BUT--as we can see by 4 pages of this thread, to each their own. I love my Sam's membership, you may not--you don't have to.
    Oh, and their 16" Take and Bake Pizzas are fabulous and less than $8! You can even order one and have it hot and waiting for you to carryout. Pizza and Icees--what a great combo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not too wild about Sam's Club (had a membership there years ago), but I LOVE our Costco membership. Saves us a BUNDLE!

We get:

~ frozen chicken
    ~ pasta
    ~ pinto beans (WAY cheap!!)
    ~ canned refried beans
    ~ cheese (MUCH cheaper than the grocery store on sale)
    ~ vitamins
    ~ skin care (they have a line that's real nice - and affordable!)
    ~ granola bars
    ~ nuts
    ~ yeast
    ~ brown/white sugar (sometimes I get this on sale at the store - usually Thanksgiving time)
    ~ spices
    ~ brown gravy mix
    ~ chicken/beef base for soups

Ok...this list could go on forever... The items are very affordable and since they're in bluk and it's only Dh and me...they LAST and LAST.

We purposely go there on the weekends because they have SO many samples out. It's like getting a "free" lunch.

Love it!
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop at BJ's once a month or so. I get big bags of Iams dog and cat food (I have a lot of pets) for cheaper than Petsmart or Walmart. Also their rawhide chews are cheaper. I get gas whenever I'm near a BJ's. And you can use manuf. coupons (if there's 3 smaller packages inside the 1 big package you can use 3 coupons!) PLUS a store coupon. They have good prices on paper towels, ground beef, some meds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just renewed a BJ's membership that I never used last year(not a thrifty move).I just never got around to going there last year.Not sure I will go again.I found the prices very high.I can do better with the weekly specials and coupons at the local grocery stores.However, the meats were beautiful.Maybe next year I'll see if I can share a membership with someone

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love my BJ's it is one of my regular stops for items i use most often that are cheaper: gas, milk, eggs, some bread items, cheeses and most meats. My dh always walks thru the dvd selection for the better prices, but i find the seasonal items tend to be hit or miss. I think the most important part of a bj's visit is to knowing the prices of the items I need. It has saved me much more than the cost of the membership and i have been a member for > decade.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

I really like my BJ's & Costco too........for some things!
    I always buy my eggs, milk, paper products, & cleaners at either BJ's or Costco. I always buy my dog food at Costco, I haven't been able to beat their price for the quality anywhere.
    I do all of my other food grocery shopping at my commissary.

So I think that warehouse clubs can be a good savings for some things, especially if your like me and buy their name brands for cleaners and such and can stock up and only have to buy these things 2-3 times a year, we also save on gas this way as well, although our BJ's is literally about 4 miles from our house, so we are lucky on this account.

Michelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go to Sams for the bargains so most of it I pass by.

I did get 2 pairs of pj bottoms for $6 and I get my Big honking electrosol tabs there--they last FOREVER.

Some things are great, some not so great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A friend of mine belongs to Sams Club. A couple of times a year I go there with her to pick up a few things, like olive oil and Boca Burgers, which are cheaper there. I also got some large cans of diced tomatoes there, cheap, for cooking I was doing

One time I really needed some of those tomatoes and didn't have any. I went by Sams and asked if they offered one day passes for non-members. Finally the manager said that I could go and buy what I needed just that day. That worked out well for me.

I get my best sales prices at the Albertsons, just a block away from where I live. I check the sales flyers every week and they are almost always better then Safeway or City Market. FWIW: Albertsons is generous with rainchecks, I ask for 10-20 of an item on a raincheck (if price is really good) and they don't have an expiration date!

I had a 6 month old raincheck for frozen OJ for $.75 each, no limit. A great price after the failed orange crops. I ordered 3 cases of it (72 cans) and they had no problem with it. We use 1-2 cans a week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I joined BJ's for DD's baby shower. We had a free spring trial membership. Some things were cheaper there but not enough for me to keep the membership.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast