is the membership of sams club worth it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a Costco membership a few years back and after carefully analyzing with a price book I decided not to renew. I found buying lost leaders, and combining sales with coupons was way cheaper for us. I get lots of free items with coupons. Costco doesn't take coupons. What really opened my eyes was looking at the unit price of things there. Almost always I could get that item for less. The BIG sizes I think are deceiving and hard for consumers to know if they are really getting a good deal. I have found that milk, cheese, eggs and a few items are a good deal there, but not worth $40.00 a year. I can still usually get the same price elsewhere on sale or close to it. I also found that buying that much of an item, such as bananas, or a huge bag of pretzels, we couldn't eat it all before it went bad or stale.

I do occasionally go with a friend or my sister and get a huge block of cheese (always a good price there!) and maybe a few items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a BJ's membership, and I get gasoline whenever I'm there or near there, since it is a good bit cheaper than a regular gas station. I buy 48# of Iams dog food for about $28.00, which is cheaper than I can find it elsewhere. I probably save enough in dog food alone to pay for the membership! I also get meat there. Super Walmart has cheaper chicken than a lot of other stores, but have you noticed they add a lot more salt and broth to theirs? I can't have that due to DH's health issues, so I mainly buy meat now at BJ's. Also we get 20# bags of jasmine rice, also parmesan cheese, Splenda, cat litter, dog treats, Hebrew National hotdogs. Plus BJ's lets you use coupons, sometimes more than 1 coupon depending on how things are packed. PLUS, you can combine a BJ coupon with a manuf. coupon. I love BJ's!

MC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We go to Sam's Club once a month. Our savings in dog food makes up for the membership costs, and I buy lots of produce there for large-batch cooking. But I always check prices at the other stores first, because a lot of times things are cheaper elsewhere.

Also--do you have a Gordon Food Service store or something like it? They sell things in large sizes for resteraunts. Not as big as SC, but the savings there are pretty good, too. As long as you don't go overboard lol!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's worth it. I buy TP, paper towels, books, meat (the lean ground beef is WAY cheaper than the grocery store!), frozen foods, bottled water, some OTC meds, really good bird seed that the birds actually eat, the occasional electronic product... I used to buy cat litter there, too, and it was a great deal, but we switched the type of litter we use and Sam's doesn't sell it. Oh yeah, I also buy Mobil 1 motor oil for our cars. And the occasional item of clothing.

Get a guest pass and spend an hour or so in there. Look around, price things, determine what you would or wouldn't buy there, then make your decision.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well i recently made the price of my membership. I got a clearanced electric guitar for 70 bucks! Originally 170ish or so. I remember thinking to myself it'd be nice if it went on clearance and 2 days later it did :-D And there was only one which looked just like floor model but without sparkles? lol So I guess it was clearance because it didn't have sparkles like the one on display but other than that it works great. I just invested recently in a buncha freezer ziplocks and have frozen some individual meat packs like that. Before I never used freezer bags ( thought they were expensive and too lazy) but I've noticed it made a huge difference on keeping away freezer burn and keeping meats redder. I've kept away from the bottled water though and try refilling empty bottles with filtered brita as I think bottled water is a BIG waste in plastic. It's just a hastle sometimes to fill up bottles for me but I now try to use for every one new bottle to refill it at least 3 times before chucking it now and I've also bought powder gatorade to make it taste nicer occasionally and still big savings over already bottled gatorade.

The things however I'm gonna stay away from is their frozen seafood. I think it is plain nasty!!! Learned that lesson the hard way lol Now I'm stuck with a 13 dollar bag of gross salmon. I try to be really careful of prices however because alot of times grocery stores are cheaper. Sams makes it so easy to end up spending so much. I sometimes get impulse and of course it's with huger quantity...

I however drew the conclusion that I already made up dues with the guitar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have determined that the membership is not a good deal for us. I do go there once or twice a year with a free one day pass. You have to pay a 10% upcharge with the one day pass, but you would have to spend more than $400 a year to make the membership a better deal, and I just don't spend that kind of money at Sam's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a business membership that is $30 a year I think. For us the savings in the cost of milk alone makes the membership worth it. Our family of 6 goes through 5/6 gallons a week. If I bought milk at the local grocery stores or at WM I would spend a minimum of $3.49 a gallon, at sams last time milk was $2.29 a gallon, savings of $1.20 a gallon. I bought 5 gallons so it saved me $6 not getting it somewhere else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't personally have one anymore. But my parents still do and on occasion I go with them as a guest. I just give them the money when we go up to pay. When the kids were home and of course their friends it was a money saver for me. In the summer it saves for when we have cookouts and such.
    But I think it just depends on what you buy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My boyfriend has one for his business which is, I think, $45 a year. It may not be worth it only for him, but I use it sometimes so I think for the two of us it may be worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We shop at Costco, and here they offer an "executive membership". The cost is $100 a year, but you also get 2% of your purchases back as a rebate at the end of the year. We do a lot of shopping there, and also purchase items for hubby's business, so decided to get the executive membership. For the last 2 years, we've received rebate certificates for over $100, which basically means that we got our membership for free! For Costco, at any rate, this might be worth looking into if you shop there a lot (admittedly, though, it's the business items that help boost our rebate more than the groceries!).

I find great deals at Costco - you do have to exercise some restraint when it comes to the "other" stuff....books, DVD's, housewares, etc. as the prices on all these luxuries are pretty darn good too! But if you stick to the items you use on a regular basis, and take care to break larger bulk packs down into smaller portions - use your freezer!! - you can save a lot of money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face

we have a Sams membership & Are NOT getting our money's worth out of it!:surprise: We just don't go often enough. I can tell you my Hubby's father owns a candy machine business and gets TONs of stuff there . I guess it's really only worth it if you buy a lot of groceries! I'm going to have to start going or cancel our membership!
    Oh! I do know that if you use your Sam's card to get gas you save 5cents per gallon! Good deal if you are near one!

Well, I need a refill so I will stop posting long enough to let my fingers heal!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hahahaha I was just thinking this on Friday night when I marched out of there with a bill of $105. It was worth it for me that one time b/c I did buy a few bulk grocery items. All in all, Walmart is cheaper then Sams however only Sams has 'Markland Mark' or whatever their 'store brand' is and to me thats a better value then shopping at Walmart.

IF I had a choice between the two, Id go back to Costco. But in all honesty, its cheaper for me to buy from the reg grocery stores which is why I gave up my Costco last year. My dad wanted certain chairs that were only sold at Sams club so we got a membership there and buying those chairs - the savings paid for the membership. I also went with my boss who bought a microwave which was WAY cheaper there oddly enough.

I find a lot of things cheaper at Sams vs Costco - name brands but I always seem to find them cheaper in the reg grocery store. Plus the few times Ive been to Sams the produce hasnt been so fresh - ick.

We now have the Super Walmarts in Canada and the produce there is WAY fresher then Sams - go figure?!

A few things I noticed between the Sams in US vs Cananda when reading this thread:

* we dont sell gas
    * we accept cash, debit and MasterCard
    * we dont have a pharmacy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a membership to BJ's a few years ago. We gave it up because of the large amounts of groceries we had to buy we didnt have storage for or use before they began to spoil or get stale. A friend has a membership to costco. We go with her about once or twice a year. We got some great deals on televisions, and folding chairs. As far as the groceries, I do better with the loss leaders and couponing at the local market basket, because I am only buy groceries for myself, dh and ds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have a choice between Bj's or sams I woud go with Bj's. They have a much wider selection and you can stack coupons!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I personally think it's worth it.. I also have a family of six and need to buy in bulk..I noticed for the past month or so that the sales on meats are just not happening anymore at the regular grocery stores ..I went to Sams Club today and bought 80/20 hamburger for $1.98 a pound (at my 3 grocery stores) it 's anywhere from $2.49 to over $3.00 a pound..Whole chickens were .77 a pound...Chicken thighs are .99 a pound...Hot sausage is $2.49 a pound...Salmon is $1.49 a pound... Boneless sirloin steaks(very thick and not alot of fat) $4.87 a pound...The prices are just unbeatable for what I have been seeing lately in the Grocery stores..I agree there are alot of items that I can get cheaper on sale and combining coupons ..But for now this is where I will be buying my meats unless I find a good deal somewhere else..

I also wanted to say that I love their Bath towels and Hand towels are Top quality there prices is very reasonable..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast