Military ppl, got a time-sensitive shopping question! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never noticed a surcharge. And we don't tip a bagger, we bag ours ourselves and take them out to the car ourselves, to bypass that. They don't like it much, but I'm not giving money to someone for something we can do ourselves. Yeah, I know it's their job and that's what they're gettin paid for, but I'm just not doing it.

We get all of our cereals there for $1.50 or less. I've never paid over $1.50 for a box of cereal at that place. We usually buy what's on sale plus they have coupons on the shelf under items, which make them practically free sometimes. Willpower is only a question if we all go together. If I send him with a list, he will usually not stray from it, but maybe one or two items. It's all just a question of DH actually feeling like going after work or even getting off work in time to go, since it closes at 7 and he has to work late a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is a 5% surecharge added to all bills at the commisary. They tell you you pay no tax but then they surcharge you according to them to help keep prices low at the commisary. I will NOT buy meat at the commisary. We have gotten too many pkgs of rotten, outdated meat. We go to the meat market. Much better quality and the prices are about the same. For the rest I can do as well as the commisary between Aldis and Walmart and I dont have to tip the baggers who only gets tips, they get no salary

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The 5% would still be lower than our state tax rate. I will only buy meat at our commissary, I've had nothing but the freshest meat from there, it looks better than anywhere else 100% of the time where I am. I have a very sensitive sense of taste and smell, meat at Kroger, Wal-Mart and Save-A-Lot have all had funny tastes to me and I gag when cooking it. I'm still not budging on the bagging thing. People may think badly of me for doing it myself, but 5% from my bill going to someone else for doing something I can do in a pinch, no way. I'm going to get flamed for that one, but I can't help it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

commissaries .com
    link : shopping
    then link to: savings isle
    ...enter your local commissary and
    see what's on sale.
    Savings are listed in % , you need to have a general idea about what the regular price is at your local store.

Combine sales with coupons from your Sunday paper to get max saving
    couponloop .com
    has a preview of upcoming coupons
    If the coupons will be good, it may be worth it to buy a second paper on Sundays!

Do any of your local grocery stores double coupons?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

jjay--I have no idea, I was going to ask about that. The only grocery stores here I can think of are Kroger, Wal-Mart, Save-A-Lot, Aldi's and Houchens (which I've never been to). Thank you so much for that link! That will help me so much, you have no idea. I'm tinking about squeezing the Sunday paper in my budget to get coupons and ads, so I can see what's on sale and the like. Also, there's a Meijer in Louisville, but that's a 40 minute drive and I don't know if it would be worth it. Maybe if we would be in town anyways, but that happens so seldom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds as if commissaries vary quite a bit by location.

And I DESPISE the bagger system. I sure won't flame you there. I don't tip the baggers at Kroger. Why should I have to tip the baggers at the commissary?

The one place that I see the most difference is price is produce. At Kroger, for example, a bunch of red beets is around $3.99. At the commissary, it's $1.39.

But, for us, the commissary is too far to go regularly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Same here, Early. We live a good 20 miles or so from post, so if I were to go do the shopping, since DH has to take me because my car is out of commission, he would have to come home from work on post, drive all the way out here, go back and then back here. Even then, DH doesn't get home till 6 on a normal day and it closes at 7. I could make a list and have him shop on his way home, but he often gets the wrong things and most times just wants to go home. We could go on Saturdays, but it's like pulling teeth to get him to go anywhere. I don't blame him, he gets up and goes at 5 every morning and doesn't get home till 6, I wouldn't wanna go anywhere either. That's why we usually only shop OAM, but that has GOT to stop. I need to try to figure out a budget to go weekly to the local stores closer to home and try to find the best products at the best prices. It's hard to figure out, since whenever I try to come up with something, DH gets a glazed look in his eye and I don't feel I'm getting the input I need.

The reasoning behind the "tipping the baggers" is that they only work off of those tips, no regular wages are included. Truth be told, one main reason we bag and carry ourselves is because we do not carry cash for any reason. I'm seriously thinking about doing the cash envelope system for grocery shopping and leaving the debit cards home, so we can't overspend for any reason.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

kroger.com/savings.htm
    has weekly add + internet coupons you can print
    has a frequent shopper program
    Double coupons up to 50 cents; coupons .51 and over deducted at face value.

check grocery ads when they come out...keep an eye on loss leaders.

Buying store brands? Many store brand items are just as good as name brand items. Try the store brand and see if it passes your family taste test.

go to the louisville courier journal website...click on shopping...right side...link to online coupons through the newspaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do buy many store brands. I have found that the kids don't care about the label, it's all the same to them at this age. What I've discovered is that the canned items at Save-A-Lot taste a helluvalot better than the store brands at Kroger, as far as canned pastas and stuff go. Thanks for the info! I really need a black ink cartridge, I can't print anything till I get one. But when I do, IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG! :0)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We dont' shop at the commissary much just because we live in a tax free area, and by the time we pay the surcharge and tip the bagger we aren't doing much better. Not to mention that we can't get any off brands. We don't buy many, but I like the options. Not to mention that when I shop at my gourmet store I can buy my meat fresh and cut to order as well as all of my fish and seafood...fresh is so much better. One thing you can't beat at the commissary is produce, but it's not enough to make me drive way across town and out of my way. Our commissary also doesn't have a bakery, so I can't get fresh bread

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. you don't have to tip the baggers at the commissary. You also can bag yourself if you want to. DECA even has this on their website since the baggers (I'm sure) will be happy to misinform.

2. My commissary here is a hit-or-miss. Some things are a great deal, other things I'm better off buying in bulk from Costco or getting on sale somewhere else.

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our surcharge is 1/2 of the state tax here in our area. Ours is 10%. And as for the baggers...The commissary baggers don't make an hourly wage like the Kroger employees do make an hourly wage. I will tip them $2-3 on a big trip and $5 on the 1st big shopping trip after a move. If you are just going for a few things most commissaries have a self check-out lane and you bag yourself.

For me things like baby formula are much cheaper at the commissary even with the surcharge and tipping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12