Sav-a-lot compared to Aldi
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Sav-a-lot compared to Aldi

We do not have a Aldi where I live. I hear a lot of people talk about that store though. We do have a Sav-a-lot. They use to be really cheap but they did a major remodel of all their stores last year and they are a lot cleaner and nicer but their prices went up on everything. About the only thing I can get cheaper there is canned goods. Is there a big difference between these stores? Amy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have only shopped Aldis a few times and SaveALot once. I remember getting some good prices on some things at SaveALot but I cannot compare them

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have both around here-Aldis is better, in my opinion. Save a Lot's prices are a little higher and the store is grungy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have only shoped at save- a -lot a couple of times. The stores are yucky and the prices arent anything better then what I can do with a good sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its been a long time since I've shopped save-a-lot, but I remember the store being gross inside. I much perfer Aldi...I don't have one where we live now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have Aldi's.

I used to shop Sav-a-lot almost every week, but I too noticed that the prices were going up. It was a long way away from me, compared to the Dollar General which is right down the street, which has veggies for the same price or less. I did get some great produce and meat buys at Sav-a-lot, and it's the cheapest place for the hamburger meat chubs (5 lbs), so I do go there occasionally. I'm a "selective shopper", and I don't shop anywhere regularly. Lately, I've only been stockpiling specials, mostly BOGO's, and I have TONS of food in my house.

I don't mind the grunge at Sav-a-lot, because I used to pick veggies right out of the fields, and I figure if that's safe after washing, then a little grunge in a store isn't going to hurt me. I've never found ours to be particularly dirty, but then, I wasn't looking for it. It is poorly lit.

There are things I've tried from there that were worth the money, and things that weren't. That goes for everywhere as far as store brands are concerned. For instance, I bought the Wal-Mart brand of hot chocolate mix once, and it was GROSS!!! I finally ended up using it to make mocha coffee so it wouldn't go to waste.

I like most of Sav-a-lot's canned and frozen food, and some of their meat specials are good. I like their 5 lb. chicken quarters. Cheaper than anyplace else around here. I'll definitely buy vinegar, baking soda, or bleach there if it's cheaper.

I don't buy dairy products there at all. Tried it, but didn't find it cheaper or better.
    Last edited by Jaded; 09-20-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hadn't been to save-o-lot for a while and went last week...i found that they were higher on most things than walmart just down the road.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The SaveALot that I went to wasn't dirty...I don't think so anyways.

You know...when I first went to an Aldis, years ago, I didn't want to go back. That store seemed grungy and I just did not like the feel of it when I went in.

The Aldi's that I went into the other dy...bright and very clean!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Aldi's
    Love Love Love
    I have shopped at Sav-a-lot and I think the prices are fine but they don't carry much of what I need. I think it's a great place to shop on a very limited budget but one of the areas I do splurge is food. I do most of my grocery shopping at a local indoors farmer's market that has a wonderful selection and low prices. The rest of my shopping takes place at Costco and Aldis. Aldis has some fantastic imports and I love their frozen fish selections, Crystal Light knockoffs and their deli meats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have Aldi's and Save-A-Lot (several locations of each store in area). Aldi's is closest, but I think that Save-A-Lot is easier to shop at because Aldi's has a habit of selling an item, and when you 'love it' and go back to get more, the don't sell it anymore -- UGH!! They are basically about the same price (maybe pennies difference). Prices on everything at both places have gone up in recent months (milk, eggs, meat especially. I get all of my ground turkey at Aldi's or Save-A-Lot, love Aldi's brand of boxed frozen chicken (like Banquet fried chicken). Aldi's did a little remodeling and is organized a bit better than before. I refuse to buy Save-A-Lot meats because I think the prices are horrific!! and I question the cleanliness of the meat department (store often smells of raw meat). We have several different supermarket chains (Spartan and Meijer) that loss leader their meats weekly. Our Walmarts aren't SuperWalmart, although the store on north end of town (other side of town) is building a new Super behind the old store. By the time that store opens, we'll be in Alabama anyway (hopefully).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I only have a SAL by me. My girls love their vegetable soup better than Cambells, only .49 a can. Their fancier soups are cheaper than the stores unless they have a good sale. SAL have good prices on some things but I stay away from the meat and bread at the store by me because it isn't very good or stale

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WE DON'T HAVE A SAVE A LOT OR ALDI'S. WE JUST HAVE 2 LOCAL CHAINS. BUT WALMART IS BULIDING A SUPERCENTER ON THE NORTH SIDE OF TOWN. ONLY THING THAT I REMEBER THE FEW TIMES THAT I DID SHOP AT ALDI'S WAS THAT IT WAS A VERY SMALL STORE. POORLY LIGHT AND VERY CROWED WITH PRODUCT. IT SEEMED LIKE THERE WERE ONLY 3 AISL IN THE SHAPE OF A U. BUT I AT THE TIME I REALLY LIKE THE PRICES.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Aldi's! Especially their Fit & Active line. We just had a new Aldi open closer to us than the one I went to previously, and it is bigger and of course spotless.
    I've only been to Sav-a-Lot once, and it was alright. Not quite as clean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sav-a-lot-

aldi's-

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

it must be a regional thing. i have shopped at both stores.
    sal is way cleaner here. every aldi's that i have been in, in different cities are all nasty! i mean downright nasty!
    the sal that i shop at, is well let, very clean, and they are cheaper than the aldi's. so yeah i go there.