Dishwasher leaving things dirty again
    Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry Dishwasher leaving things dirty again

OK, I had this problem in our old house, too.... am I doing something wrong?

Our dishwasher leaves about 1/3 of the dishes still dirty... or actually more dirty than when they went in... after running a full cycle. It's like there's a film of very fine crumbs/ dirt on things afterwards.

I'm using Cascade packets (the cubes) and vinegar instead of a rinse aid. I spray crumbs and food off of dishes before loading it, and I leave space between the dishes. Every so often I clean out the bottom where crumbs accumulate. Any other ideas??

Oh, and I know the trick about cleaning the dishwasher with bleach and vinegar in a cycle every so often. I do that, and it takes care of cloudy glasses, but the still-dirty dishes are really frustrating.

Last edited by AmyMCGS; 05-01-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did you check the spinning arms to make sure they run clear? When we have that prob, it's usually the culprit. Dumb little pieces of food just clogging the holes.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure that it is the only thing going that draws water like a shower or washing machine. It takes away from the water pressure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine does the same thing. I call the goop that it throws on the dishes, "dishwasher boogers". It makes me so irritated to find the dishes dirtier after washing than before. It is usually only the top rack that has it. I will check my water arms to see if they are clogged.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also check the food trap. Often this piece is screwed on so you might have to unplug the unit and get in there to see what's up. Check to see that the draining hose isn't backing up with gunk.

I have to do that a few times each year. It is like a brand new machine when that gets done.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was told to use a bottle of lime away every so often.......... It cleans the clogs.
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What is your water temp? I had to turn our water heater up rather high to make our dishes get clean - our dishwasher is not that good even brand new.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are 2 things, one there can be build up in the dishwasher. I had this issue the repair dude came and had to CHISEL it out! IT was gross. Then it was vacuumed..lol

The second thing, the vinegar in the rinse agent is a BAD thing. It's not like a clothes washing machine, the rinse agent trickles a little through the whole cycle, at least in my machine, not just the final rinse. Vinegar neutralizes the detergent making it and the detergent useless in the cycle. This also adds to the build up. Since I stopped using the vinegar had the dishwasher cleaned, I don't use anything but a powerpack, not vinegar nor reinse agent and my dishes are squeaky clean. If you want to use vinegar, wait until your dishwasher is in the rinse cycle and toss a 1/4 cup in and restart. But don't put it in the rinse agent receptical. This was a costly costly mistake for me.

Vinegar for the dishwasher isn't a good idea.
    Mom to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom
    • FFEF 2/6months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do not remember where I saw it maybe Ask This Old House but the people were having that problem and it was something about the drain hose hanging low so dirty water backed up into the dishwasher

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This happens with my dishwasher too. I too used the vinegar as a rinse aid and it seemed to not work well so back to jet dry. Also I used walmart powder deterent so I switched to cascade (in my old dishwasher the walmart brand worked fine). Also in the door of my machine there is a slatted box for the steam to come out and food gets caught in there so I have to take that off once in awhile and clean it out. It does seem to be much better having made these changes. HTH
    Laura

Wife to David for 18 years
    Mom to Madeline 13 and Lillian 11 and Oliver, Sophie, and Isabelle (yes its a zoo here!!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This happens when my DH runs the dishwasher. I suggest you run the hot water in your sink to bring up the water temperature before you start the dishwasher. I read to do this in the troubleshooting part of my manual. It worked like a charm for us.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the tips! I will be trying all of them until we figure out the problem... the night I wrote that post I ended up completely emptying the dishwasher and rewashing everything by hand. I appreciate all the ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My thought is to make sure the garbage disposal is empty too. I don't know how other ones are hooked up, but my dishwasher water runs through the garbage disposal section, and if there is gunk in it, my dishes are royally messed up for at least one more washing. Hopefully this makes sense. If your hose is lower than the garbage disposal, then maybe the stuff from it comes back into the dishwasher.. UGGGHHH I hope I make some sense. It always seems to help our dishes.
    Bonnie mom to

DD Roari 20 who is now a JUNIOR AT BAYLOR!!
    DS Craig 18 who is still working to get his permit
    DS Jared 16 just hanging with friends
    DD Valory 11 who will now be in MIDDLE SCHOOL

Lord help me, I have THREE teenagers TWO ADULT KIDS !!!

Married to Lyndell for 21 years.

Avatar courtesy of me... Iris' I planted in my front yard a few years ago...[/FONT]

2014 Goals
    Cut down on all unnecessary things.
    Free is best.
    Get the garage completely cleaned out.
    Make the yards nice-weed, mow, plant, flowerbeds,etc.
    Stay home more/eat out less if at all.
    FIND A NEW JOB!!!