Planning the kitchen renovations - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can get the eco bamboo from Home Depot and it comes in planks, so it'd have to be installed. I'm not sure what the laminate is. All I know is that dropping anything on it is bad and it was poorly installed to begin with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So half of the cabinets are officially primed and painted!

Next week will be devoted to gardening, so I'll be starting more paint jobs on the days that it rains. I have the cabinets that face the front window left to do, but now I can transfer the stuff that I had crowding other areas into the painted cabinets.

I am so relieved!

We will not be putting the doors on until the very end. We also decided that painting the countertop would work the best for us. I'm not sure if I'll be doing that soon, but it will be on the list of things to do along with painting the walls.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We're adding bench seating to the home improvement portion of the kitchen.

As it is right now, we have some open square footage in the corner of the kitchen where the microwave stand currently rests. It's 3 1/3 ft x 4 1/2 feet in measurement (3 1/3 feet from the corner to the window trim and 4 1/2 feet from the corner to another corner). It's sort of in an L shape.

It's enough room for us to do bench seating that encompasses at least six people. For the size of the house and the type of neighborhood we're in, that's a perfect size.

The plans for the bench seat are as follows:

I'd like to make it 48 inches long, leaving at least 6 inches of wall between the wall and a 45 degree corner at the end of the bench. The shorter end of the seating area will reach just 36 inches.

This is the area:

I'd like to make each section of the bench so that you can open it from the top and store items inside of it, then close the top and put the cushions back onto it. It'll sort of be a little hiding area for things like canned goods, tablecloths, dishtowels, etc. We'll be making use of our old Ikea table (depending on the height of it). This idea gives us the ability to keep the dining area against one wall and makes the kitchen feel bigger than it did before. The cushions will cost the bulk of the budget, as well as the hinges for the tops of each door. It also gives me the flexibility to add color to the room besides what will be on the walls.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I spent about 6 hours applying two coats of primer to the entire upper cabinet area of the kitchen that's on the wall adjacent to the sink. It's at least three whole cabinets. I had to resort to Killz since I ran out of SICO primer, but it wasn't too horrible. The first coat was pretty tricky, but the second coat went on better. I switched to a 2.5 inch brush to finish the underside and top of the cabinets and that sped it up pretty quickly.

Tomorrow, I'll be adding the first coat of paint and then if need be, I'll be adding the second coat as well. The areas that were severely gouged during paint stripping seem to cover pretty well. However, if you look at them up close, you can see it. From afar, it's not as bad.

We did decide on a paint color for the walls and we're going with Meadow Light. It's a bright greyish-green color and is made by Behr. It'll help add in extra light that was so desperately needed.

As far as the cabinets are concerned, they will be done sooner than later. The weather's getting nice again, so I may not get to paint until at least the week after next. I want to be done before May long weekend (which is a week before DH's birthday this year).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234