Grrrrrr...(Former owners of my house!) tub surround
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry Grrrrrr...(Former owners of my house!) tub surround

I think this post goes here because I am going to be talking about fixing once I am done ranting.

It seems like nothing these people did was ever done correctly. The weekend after we bought the house, we had a party and the ceiling fan went berserk on a guest who changed the speed, and we wanted to replace it anyway. Got the old one down and discovered it wasn't even installed properly.

Several plumbing fittings in the basement are just completely wrong, which we didn't know until we had a plumber in to fix other things.

I could go on and on about things that weren't properly installed, but I won't. Lets just suffice it to say that I truly and honestly believe that thy bribed our home inspectors (who showed up 45 minutes early to our inspection, so they had the opportunity.) Little things have been popping up here and there and we have been fixing them all, but it was all done wrong to begin with.

Today my ceiling is dripping. I took DD up for a shower and she was playing in the water, and she must have gotten some between the shower surround and the tub suround, where there SHOULD BE CAULK, but of course there isn't. I know it is an easy fix and I shouldn't complain, but it is just irritating to have to keep fixing these things. I would love to just get rid of the ugly thing and put in a big claw-foot tub, but I can't afford that right now..

Anyway, can I borrow your caulk gun?

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry you're having these frustrations with your home. At least the caulk is quick and easy to fix.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awww, thanks. That is true- it is quick to fix. If we have any caulk in the basement, I will try to get it done tonight before we go to bed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about this. We have the same type problems our house was built in 1865 and the owners since that time have really done a number on it! Why on earth don't people do things the right way or not at all?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very good question!!! Laziness? Apathy? Ignorance? I just don't know!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Both houses we've bought have had these kinds of frustrations.

It's worse in our current house -- we live in a high-cost market. So, I find myself thinking, "This house cost $xxx,xxx! And still it has _______________!" (fill in the blank with the latest repair problem."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ugh, no fun Kimberly. Hope this is the end of cob-job surprises.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is a real pain Kim. Let me go and get my caulk gun right quick

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can use mine, I have LOTS! ROFL!

Caulk hints and tips:

Mini caulk gun for tight areas

An ordinary caulk gun is just too big and bulky for working in tight spots such as behind a sink or at the back of a tub faucet. For these places, a 20 cc plastic syringe (without a needle) makes an ideal mini caulk gun. Just cut the syringe tip at a slight angle, pull out the plunger and load it with caulk. Syringes are available at pharmacies and farm supply stores.

Neater vinyl flooring

For neater seams in sheet vinyl or self-stick tiles, find a matching colored caulk and push it into the seams. Wipe off the excess and you’ll have a cleaner looking (and more watertight) floor.

A neat caulk line

Form straight, neat caulk lines around sinks, windows and doors by outlining the area with masking tape, then applying and smoothing the caulk. Remove the tape before the caulk fully hardens.

Helpful hints researched and provided by: The Family Handyman

I finished putting in a new tub surround a few weeks ago and I found out how much fun it is to learn to caulk. I went a little caulk-crazy.