painting on shower curtain???
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question painting on shower curtain???

Anyone ever done this??I've thought about decorating my own shower curtain. I've got a vinyl curtain. Acrylic paint and blank stencils... Is acrylic the right kind?? Do I need any kind of medium to add to it?? Any special instructions??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was thinking that acrylic paints would peel off, so I did a quick web search and everything I saw about painting shower curtains said to use acrylic paints. So it sounds like you are off to a good start! I'd love to see it, you should post a picture of it when you are done!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had attempted to look it up and I kept finding acrylic-it's washes off w soap and water until it dries. Not sure when I'll be starting it -gotta figure out what design I want to do. I grabbed the colors though-blues and silver. I have acrylic paint to begin with. It's inexpensive to get so I fig what the hey. The curtain is the expensive part. I'll try to get a pic up. The batteries on my cam don't want to hold a charge. I was seeing if anyone else has done this before. Should be fun.wish me luck.

I was thinking of making a stencil of a celtic knot and running across the top in and maybe putting random ones down the blank section-fairly simple-I can do a almost marble or stippled stone effect,but I didn't want to do anything to elaborate and have it peel off or what not. If this works can always make something else later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good Luck! I bet it will be great, can't wait to see a pic!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did you get the craft paint acrylic (Apple Barrel, Folk Art)? If so, it may still rub off after it dries. I would suggest mixing it with textile medium. That makes it flexible so it won't crack and flake off, plus make it washable.

There are also special plastic paints, but I think they're normally used on hard plastics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck, I can't wait to see pictures

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4cats View Post
    Did you get the craft paint acrylic (Apple Barrel, Folk Art)? If so, it may still rub off after it dries. I would suggest mixing it with textile medium. That makes it flexible so it won't crack and flake off, plus make it washable.

There are also special plastic paints, but I think they're normally used on hard plastics.
    I've used textile medium before...but I'm not sure on it since there is no fabric to bond w...you have to iron it...and it actually peels. I'll just have to experiment. I was trying to fig if I may need to use some sort of flexible sealant to help w durability. Since I use a liner it will rarely have to be washed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaM View Post
    Anyone ever done this??I've thought about decorating my own shower curtain. I've got a vinyl curtain. Acrylic paint and blank stencils... Is acrylic the right kind?? Do I need any kind of medium to add to it?? Any special instructions??

The only paint I know of that wil stick to vynil is a spray paint designed to stick to vynil and it will cost more than a new shower curtain.
    Instead.....
    have you considered doing a fabric curtain in front of your vynil curtain? hang it like you would drapes in your living room. and keep a simple vynil curtain up to protect it.
    This is also a good way to reuse old drapes......... I have lace sheers in front of my plain vynil shower curatin with a string of artifical greenery across the top. It's clean looking and neat........
    and dresses up the plain shower curtain.