Frugal Village Forums banner

Easter traditions?

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  celina 
#1 ·
Anyone have any Easter Traditions they would like to share?

Sara

#2 ·
We set up an Easter egg hunt for our girls the night before (using the plastic eggs with goodies inside). It's fun to watch them search for them.

Then we go to church on Easter day and then off to my fil's for afternoon Easter dinner.

#3 ·
I hate to admit that last year we forgot to color the eggs. Let's hope that's not my Easter Tradition. Usually I take my daughter to several Church related Easter Egg Hunts and then hide some at home too. She gets a homemade basket with a little candy and lots of other stuff, like a cd, book, hair clips, etc. We do dress up for Easter but its usually in what someone else wore the year before and we were given or bought second hand. Of course, I eat those marshmallow peeps until I am sick of them.

G
#5 ·
We get in our best Sunday clothes. My better half always gets me a pretty orchid corsage. We go to church, then to brunch, then to see the rest of the family for supper. My children get baskets. We don't hide them. Havnt done an egg hunt in ages. We color them some years. This year my daughter just saying she wants lil scoops. rofl

Countrymom I have to ask what a weenie roast is all about.

Malika

#6 ·
I was thinking of an Easter pinata. :) Ideally, it would be better with a larger family than we have. hehe But I think this could be something fun for us. We're such a new family, we haven't started many traditions yet, and our families are all pretty far away.

Sara

#7 ·
smnoel said:
I was thinking of an Easter pinata. :) Ideally, it would be better with a larger family than we have. hehe But I think this could be something fun for us. We're such a new family, we haven't started many traditions yet, and our families are all pretty far away.

Sara
Adding more. I am looking for patterns that I could make myself, but came across some already made. Not badly priced at $8.95.
I got this idea when Chelle was showing me a paper mache craft she was thinking of making.

Sara

#9 ·
I put out a pile of odd stuff for Easter Egg decorating and let them cut, paste, and glue away.......
Fun foam, feathers, construction paper, string, tiny bits of fake fur, dried pods and such from potpouri,
They have make and assortment of animals, creatures, aliens, ect........ It's hours of fun !!!!!!!!!!
They stand well if glued to fun foam feet .......

Reactions: ecgsmama
#10 ·
We do the same has Chelle does. We put goodies in the pastic Easter eggs and hide them. I always make sure that there are a cpecific number of colors and each kid has to find xx amount of colored eggs. They were asking me again if we were going to do that this year.

I use to also get them a stuffed toy but they aren't interested in stuffed toys anymore (YAHOO!!) so don't get them any now.

For Michael, we purchase him batteries - and let me tell you he knows exactly what those are for. :eek: In fact, he often thinks his favorite toy (his keyboard) has dead batteries as soon as he sees knew ones. He'll bring the keyboard and want me to put in new ones right away.

We then get dressed and go to church. On the way home, we stop for lunch.

#11 ·
I use to buy all kinds of candy and hide it for them, but I am trying to get away from all the candy because I seem to be the one that ends up eating most of it. My little one gets to hyper eating it. I think I will try and get some small items like small toys and books and stuff like that instead of candy. We also color eggs and then go for dinner at my mom's house. We do the ham, sweet potatoes, corn, and stuff like that. This is the first holiday since Memorial day last year that My dh is home with us and has the day off. Can't wait.

#12 ·
We probably do too much for Easter, but here goes.

We color real - hard - boiled eggs during the week before. On Easter Sunday, when we get up, we have small baskets waiting for the girls. We re-use baskets from year to year. Then DD & I, get dressed & go to church. When we return home, DH's family descends upon us :lol3: and we have a nice Easter lunch - pot luck, of course, everyone brings something! Then we go outside, DH & FIL hide the eggs the girls colored & we have a hunt in our yard. By the time that is finished, it's almost dinnertime!

Another tip - easter baskets don't have to be filled with candy & junk - just like stockings... We regularly have toothbrushes, hair brushes, deoderant, tooth paste, lip balm (mandatory in our house!) etc in our girls'. Just "garnish" it with a little Easter candy and/or coloring books, activity books, or religious item.

#13 ·
We go to church where there's a Resurrection Trail where kids stop a stations and hear the story of the crucifixion and resurrection.

Then home, change, eat with relatives. The big kids hide eggs for the little ones.

#15 ·
sara- be careful with store bought pinatas if you have little little kids they are really hard to break as they are made of cardboard.... we have had to break them a little bit b4 the kids take a swing so i usually make my own with a balloon and paper mache

we dont have many we dye real eggs and last year i hid some eggs for Ds this year i am trying to get my sis to host an easter brunch at her house. i also plan to have DS make baskets out of palstic coffee containers. normally we use the same baskets each year. for dinner we wil go to my aunts i think unless my IL are doing something

#16 ·
easter

sad to say we have not had easter for so many years because we go on vacation for spring break every year coinciding with DD off week of school and it is always easter week. at least the kids were young we had easter, at that time my SILs hosted easter egg hunts.

#17 ·
Like many of the other posters we dye eggs end set them on the table the week before. They make an awesome centerpiece. Then we hide plastic ones for the boys the night before. Generally there is change in them. One might have a penny and another a quarter.
(In order to make sure they each get an equal amount we hide by color for each child and the younger ones' eggs are of coarse easier to find. Child 1 may be blue and yellow and he knows that because in his basket is one blue egg and one yellow. Child 2 may be green and purple and so forth. They know they are not to pick up each others eggs or they forfeit one of thiers.)

Where we eat is generally either at my house or my parents. With family coming in whichever place we're at.

The menu changes some but I always bake homemade Italian cookies, Easter bread (for breakfast), Grain pies, and generally struffoli. I've also started doing an Easter Pizza and there is always ham, baked mac-n-cheese, stuffed artichokes and/or mushrooms along with various veggies and salads. We generally don't cook for quite some time afterwards.

The boys like helping me with the eggs for the easter bread which is our traditional mess since these are done raw with vinegar and food coloring before being baked in the bread. This is one of my favorite "holiday foods" though as growing up the bakeries only made them on Easter. After coming home from church we each got our own little sweet bread with egg in it. We'd gob it with butter and devour it with hot tea or milk while the grownups shuffled the paper around. There aren't any bakeries here that make it so I learned how to make it and have carried it on.

#19 ·
our biggest tradition....it is OURS....we do not travel anywhere to see family..although they are welcomed here..they just NEVER come...

but we stay home..started when i was pregnant and we had such a great relaxing day..

we hide eggs for kids..and like a pp..we divide colours, each kid gets their own..with candies, change, sm toys...etc..
a basket filled with odd and ends...and some spring toys...

this year church is at 9 am....so i dont know about egg hunt..maybe on sunday??

we're in southern ontario now..so actually no snow already, often up north we're knee deep still

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.