TOO BUSY HOMESCHOOLING! long.......
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default TOO BUSY HOMESCHOOLING! long.......

I know I know, cut back..... but we honestly can't.

I have a 17 year old and 14 yr old both are athletes and the 17 yr old is at an elite level (14 yr.old is on his way there) and an 11 yr. old who is gifted musically.

Seventeen year old is also a Venturer scout and St. John Cadet. They come a distant second to her training and she only attends outings with them if it fits her schedule. She also works part time (more hours in the summer) as a coach and lifeguard. She trains (swims, runs, weight lifts, kayaks) a min. of 2 hours a day.

DS 14has similar training schedule and is also a Venturer scout, but also plays cello in a youth orchestra and chamber group and enters his musical compositions in festivals.

DD11 plays violin, and often performs for weddings, fundraisers, galas and charity. She is often paid. She also plays in a youth orchestra, chamber group, and fiddle group and takes private lessons and technique classes.

Are you fainting yet? I am.

The problem is often "school" is NOT done for days!

I don't have a problem with fitting in reading...they always have books on the go and read everywhere (except my son who only seems to read only graphic novels these days and many are online) and I read history outloud, in line ups, on the ferry, at lunch.

The problem is getting enough time for writing and math.

Thankfully 17 year old is pretty well "done" everything else is gravy, but Ds is very good at doing the absolute min. And so I have to stand over him to make sure he does his work (BOYS!).

My eleven year old writes for the pure enjoyment so no problems there, but math is another story.

I have been told that when they will need it they will learn it and I guess it is very true and has been true in my childrens education (they have always been homeschooled) but math always lags....

Sorry about the long winded whine...
    Just a bit frustrated this morning as my teens are happily playingCarrcassone (a strategy game) instead of doing their MATH! "I'll get to it stop nagging mom..." They do get to it eventually....and most things they do without reminders (ie: music practise, even 17 year old sits and plays piano for enjoyment, and yet she hadn't had lessons in several years).
    I guess they need the down time too BUT STILL IN A PERFECT WORLD THEY WOULD DO THEIR MATH!

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Holly,
    I have days like yours. Maybe sometimes "weeks". I've finally decided that entire math lessons are killing us. So, I've assigned 10 math problems from the lesson. When we were in the process of moving, I did Daily Math from ADD. I'm thinking about doing it again.

Hang in there dear!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Whats daily math from ADD?

Nice to hear I am not alone! LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry you are having problems, but I'm glad to hear it at the same time. This is my first year homeschooling and I was getting so frustrated trying to keep them on some kind of a schedule. It's getting a little better now but there are still some days when I could scream. And my kids aren't doing anywhere as much as yours.
    EF $703.21
    STARTING DEBT $40,567.12

DEBT TO DATE $5,571.24

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs to ya! I so hear you on this. I am homeschooling 3 right now and keeping on schedule is sometimes hard with activities, trying to be involved and meet others, but it's so worth it in the end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know it can seem so crazy sometimes. I always laugh when people make comments about homeschooled kids missing out on socialization... if we're not careful socializing is ALL we'd do.

One thing that has helped us that may or may not work for you... In MO the kids are required a certain amount of hours of instruction and the majority of those are to be in core subjects. I sat down and figured out how many hours per month/week/day we needed to do school activities to meet that goal. I found that since we do school year round and even on weekends if it fits our schedule better that we only need to do an average of 3 hours of school per day, 2 of those core subjects, in order to meet our goals. And that would be working only 50 weeks of the year. Now, we don't do a heavy load when we vacation or the week of Christmas but even then the kids read, we play math games, etc. and they get about 12-15 hours without even trying. Sometimes a week flies by and we've been to basketball, cheerleading, church activities, homeschool group activities, and family activities and I think we must not have accomplished anything. But then I look back at my notebook and I see that we've actually exceeded our time for the week, we were just too busy to notice, kwim?

Anyway, my point is that the beauty of homeschooling is that the school schedule doesn't have to compete with the extra activities, you are in charge and if you look carefully at what you need you may find that you're doing just fine. Hang in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some of the older threads by Margery will really help when it comes to homeschooling. She had such a wealth of info and homeschooled her kids, right up to graduation. Her son had ADD.

Danni, the first year is always the hardest. It does get a whole lot easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by homesteadmamma View Post

Danni, the first year is always the hardest. It does get a whole lot easier.
    That is VERY true! My first year I thought I had made a huge mistake taking my kids out of public school. Luckily, we all adjusted and are doing just fine now.

Have you thought about setting aside one day a week for nothing but math? I do that when my kids aren't really into studying something in particular, like fossils in science. We spend the whole day reading, learning new vocabulary, experiments, etc. I figure they can "suck it up" for one day of the week and then the rest of the week we concentrate on the "fun" stuff (like math, spelling).

Stephanie